Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by creditor
Am a bit confused by now. how come everyone, and by everyone i mean even the pros- are still busy with difficult FDs when there's a nice giveaway by a nice EU airline.

J/F sub $200

All of their routes

Probably the best deal on this thread yet, besides the one back around 2 years ago where you got paid some $30 for flying but hey, i'm talking about premium cabins.
Well this has me breaking out the old abacus. I've already worked through a bunch of permutations of what I think is going on to no avail
Old May 28, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Rcarentals
C1w to C2.5 where 3 religions fight for one city.
J Cabin has around 1k fat - my quick fave's only shave 50%.. looks like base fare is a low due to fare ware.. 2404 (low for summer)
month is july - I wonder if 100% is even possible? the other 2 alliances are too strict to play with..
Take a look around C3e - quite doable with the right 1x, though you'd probably have to fly it. Never seen a working 3x for your route. PM me if you do
Old May 28, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Am a bit confused by now. how come everyone, and by everyone i mean even the pros- are still busy with difficult FDs when there's a nice giveaway by a nice EU airline.

J/F sub $200

All of their routes

Probably the best deal on this thread yet, besides the one back around 2 years ago where you got paid some $30 for flying but hey, i'm talking about premium cabins.
Any hints on which carrier? Haven't seen anything on a wide variety of EU carriers with C1w departures...
Old May 30, 2018, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Getting really tired of extreme sloppiness by newbies.

TR was an airline that no longer exists.

C6 is by definition Oceania.

Just stating that one can fly fly J/F class for "SUB 200 is totally meaningless.Could be a 12 minute flight in extreme arctic northern Norway for all that we know.

Communicating in codes using wrong codes or asking questions in code ( "Chinese Bunny" )is the best way of assuring that you never will be getting any help.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: Avis Chm, LM Boomielatinum
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer

Just stating that one can fly fly J/F class for "SUB 200 is totally meaningless.Could be a 12 minute flight in extreme arctic northern Norway for all that we know.
Correct. and thats why i added All of their routes

I would expect from someone who writes carefully to read carfully...
Old May 30, 2018, 6:07 am

TR was an airline that no longer exists.
TR is the IATA code used by Scoot.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:10 pm

J/F sub $200

All of their routes

Hints would be appreciated, if possible. Is it ITAble ? OW or RT ?

Btw, is there any way of totally removing YQ with CA ?
Old May 30, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by gowinkler
Finally found a nice and very cooperative fat chinese bunny that wants to get away from unhealty spaghetti to healthy pineapple via tower with balls for a long planned trip. Now I am desperatly looking for a way to make the bunny sporty again so it might get down the rabbits hole.

Does anyone by any chance have a nice dietary plan for the poor poor bunny? 8-))

Don't code your question. I am not going to try and decipher your need AND help you
l0rd, Sisyphus1carus and FLA77 like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:01 am

C2W - C1

12 hours 50 mins of flying for €69, OJ

23 hours of flying for €81
Old May 31, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by nutsey
C2W - C1

12 hours 50 mins of flying for €69, OJ

23 hours of flying for €81
Some routes are actually on the blogs so no point in coding. West Jet depart DUB return LGW, Tue/Wed only fare. YVR for €81 but not simple OJ.
Sisyphus1carus and FLA77 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Don't code your question. I am not going to try and decipher your need AND help you
Of course you are right.
There are MU fares from C2 (Italy for example) to C1W (HNL) via PVG with a lot of fat. There seems to be no way of getting more then 10% off of it. At least not for me.
Is there anything to be found?

Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:13 am

Of course you are right.
There are MU fares from C2 (Italy for example) to C1W (HNL) via PVG with a lot of fat. There seems to be no way of getting more then 10% off of it. At least not for me.
Is there anything to be found?

Thanks for any input.
After a couple days of looking around and finally calming down a little bit after a first real find and booking, - yes the chinese bunny might get well shaped as there truely is an option (possible also more) for a ride without YQ at all- a few findings.

To be honest, after reading a great part of the thread one has to conclude there are no "real clues" (or I did not get them) for newbies, one already has to have some prerequisites to take advantage of the hints (even if this term implies these may be of greater value then they actually are).

Keeping in mind the very few "deals" of the past posted on various sites (probably disliked by forum members) are (or have been for me) of greater help in understanding the mechanisms then reading through the whole thread. With that very little "knowledge" gathered you may start your own research by reading the fare rules and applying directional brute force for that very special gem.

Not receiving any help of course has a lot of advantages, first, your success will be indefinitely more pleasing, period. Again, period. It also makes one understand why people are greedy
Second as it is "your" finding you may handle/keep/share it as you wish.

Now looking back at the past days of extensive search, was it worth it? Well economically absolutley not! Spending the time the search consumes on your regular tasks is way more lucrative.

Just my two cents.
flying_gremlin likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
After a couple days of looking around and finally calming down a little bit after a first real find and booking, - yes the chinese bunny might get well shaped as there truely is an option (possible also more) for a ride without YQ at all- a few findings.

To be honest, after reading a great part of the thread one has to conclude there are no "real clues" (or I did not get them) for newbies, one already has to have some prerequisites to take advantage of the hints (even if this term implies these may be of greater value then they actually are).

Keeping in mind the very few "deals" of the past posted on various sites (probably disliked by forum members) are (or have been for me) of greater help in understanding the mechanisms then reading through the whole thread. With that very little "knowledge" gathered you may start your own research by reading the fare rules and applying directional brute force for that very special gem.

Not receiving any help of course has a lot of advantages, first, your success will be indefinitely more pleasing, period. Again, period. It also makes one understand why people are greedy
Second as it is "your" finding you may handle/keep/share it as you wish.

Now looking back at the past days of extensive search, was it worth it? Well economically absolutley not! Spending the time the search consumes on your regular tasks is way more lucrative.

Just my two cents.
a 3 year apprenticeship is also not economically worth it. But then, once you have the knowledge, it pays off. Finding a dump or learning the principles behind this is time consuming and frustrating. But, once you know how to do it, can you save thousands of dollars. Our last C1-C5 trip was $375, times 4 people. IAH-Thailand was $336 in April. This adds up. Don't look at this in isolation.
pencereamelesi likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Deltahater
a 3 year apprenticeship is also not economically worth it. But then, once you have the knowledge, it pays off. Finding a dump or learning the principles behind this is time consuming and frustrating. But, once you know how to do it, can you save thousands of dollars. Our last C1-C5 trip was $375, times 4 people. IAH-Thailand was $336 in April. This adds up. Don't look at this in isolation.
So well said.
Those who invest little ( 1 or 2 hours for a "few days") reap very little.
However, a handful of members figured out the "hidden key" :
1.Show that you are trustworthy
2.Share just 1 good trick with 3-4 trusted other members and you will be amazed at what comes back.
3. Take what comes back from other members and enhance/improve on it and share back.
and so on and so on.

Let me tell you , flying:
1 C2-JFK via Istanbul and return via Istanbul for less than $ 100 all-in
or
2 LIN to SIN for 83 euros One-Way on AF (AZ codeshare)
+ many more - feels really good - believe me.

However, it is my firm opinion that unless you also look at it as an intellectual challenge and exciting hobby - then stay (far) away.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:53 am

Thumbs up

However, it is my firm opinion that unless you also look at it as an intellectual challenge and exciting hobby.
This is obvious and a very important aspect that - at least at this time - outweighs any financial benefit of course.

Regarding the comments of both of you, there is absolutley nothing wrong with what you said and I even can't -nor do i want to- deny that those statements are very true. The only intention was to share my impressions and findings with anyone who might be interested, no more, no less.

Cheers

Last edited by gowinkler; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.