Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: M&M, IHG
Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
Where are you seeing these reports? They haven't been posted here.
Build your network and open your ears (and eyes).
karlot_96 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
[/QUOTE=SilberPanda]
Nice fare for all who fly the whole itinerary.
For all others I spend a box of Kleenex to dry the tears from airport back to home.

We do not need more reports about denied boarding on this carrier.
The reports during the last months were more than enough.[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Build your network and open your ears (and eyes).[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
Where are you seeing these reports? They haven't been posted here.
Exactly right because this carrier has never denied boarding to anyone. Therefore nothing to report by anyone.
Jumping to incorrect assumptions always leads to wrong answers. Reprimand made based on erroneous assumptions does not make the end result any better.
brizone likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; May 8, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
ET 3X

Anyone have any experience or luck with a 3X on ET?
Thanks
Old May 11, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
Anyone have any experience or luck with a 3X on ET?
Thanks
Not since it went up on the blogs ~2 years ago
Old May 12, 2018, 7:02 am

Hello everyone,

Any tips/tricks for Australia to Brazil flights? Prices are insanely expensive for this route

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: M&M, IHG
Exactly right because this carrier has never denied boarding to anyone. Therefore nothing to report by anyone.
Jumping to incorrect assumptions always leads to wrong answers. Reprimand made based on erroneous assumptions does not make the end result any better.[/QUOTE]

This carrier has changed FR lately to avoid FD. To expect they do not longer care is careless. Risk gets higher as before.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
1.) Read the wiki
2.) Read fare rules
3.) Identify YQ
4.) Find a candidate strike and start playing
fedechat and Mjn99 like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:30 am

Hello All,

I'm new to this thread but not to this forum. Finding the whole discussion fascinating although think I have to invest a lot of time before I will be able to successfully construct my own itineraries using these tricks. Before I launch myself down that rabbit-hole, a broad question for all the frequent flyers out there:

Which is a bigger time investment?: Subsidizing your flying through FF point accumulation (as I currently do), or subsidizing it through FD? Keen to hear thoughts!

Cheers,

Oz

P.S. I currently live on an island in C5 so have a lot of incentive to try and reduce prices given there is a monopoly on internal flights and only one provider doing flights to mainland Southern Africa (SAA). Any ideas where I am?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by ozymandias24
Hello All,

I'm new to this thread but not to this forum. Finding the whole discussion fascinating although think I have to invest a lot of time before I will be able to successfully construct my own itineraries using these tricks. Before I launch myself down that rabbit-hole, a broad question for all the frequent flyers out there:

Which is a bigger time investment?: Subsidizing your flying through FF point accumulation (as I currently do), or subsidizing it through FD? Keen to hear thoughts!

Cheers,

Oz

P.S. I currently live on an island in C5 so have a lot of incentive to try and reduce prices given there is a monopoly on internal flights and only one provider doing flights to mainland Southern Africa (SAA). Any ideas where I am?

Seems to me that you live on MRU. 4 hours from JNB. You are severely hampered in your FD efforts as you simply have very few candidate fares to work with. If you start in JNB, then it is a different world. SW is your friend.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: SK, LH
a quick question - has anyone dumped HU successfully from europe to china? fare rules are flexible but cant find any 3x reducing the fare.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: DL plat
Hello All,

Cheers,

Oz

My guess is Nosy-be
Old May 16, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by 15cats
My guess is Nosy-be
You're close! I am on Madagascar in Antananarivo, so my closest airport is Ivato International Airport: TNR. I wish I was in MRU Deltahater...lots more flight options from there!
Old May 16, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Hello All,

Cheers,

Oz

Not worth your efforts. TNR generally has relatively low w YQ and high base fares - The wrong combination.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:09 pm

Lately, whenever I buy and actually fly a dumped flight, that particular combination no longer works - gets fixed. It's happened 3 times in the last 12 months, and always on a *A flight.

Has anyone else also noticed this? Is there anyway to avoid this? (this part is just mostly wishful thinking)
Old May 17, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
C2 - C1w, 102 EUR, multiple dates, maybe other destinations for less,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.