Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:41 pm

Assuming you can book with Priceline, why are you looking for another OTA?

Originally Posted by pakisrock
Been away for a while. Recently came across a fare that is allowing me to 100% self dump a J class open jaw across the pond C1-C2e C2w-C1. PCLN is the only one that lets me dump at the moment, any one have any luck having these fares show up on another OTA? Been trying to replicate but can't find anywhere else that lets me book the flights.

Any help appreciated.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
preparing for the future
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:28 am

doubple post, sorry
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:29 am

hi, any advice appreciated. Booked FD (3x) from C1e to connecting city, then onward (same itinerary, same airline) .
Flight from C1e has been delayed, and it looks like I will surely miss the connection. Obviously I will not call airline now, and will not talk to them about rebooking until I arrive in the connecting city, but what should I expect when they rebook me after I miss connection in the connecting city? Any advice on how to handle the odd looking 3x at the end?

Edit: Thinking maybe I should handle rebooking at city of departure instead of connecting city. Reasons being: it will probably be chaotic with people rebooking (less chance they will notice or want to deal with me; it will be well after close of normal business hours (after midnight); it will be out of the home city of the airline, so i'll probably just be dealing with some flight attendant that just wants the plane to leave. Thoughts?

Also, in case they figure it out, I can always just pay the missing fuel charge, right (it was not huge)? And if flight is next day, they still have to pay my accomodations?

Last edited by kingkool; Apr 14, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by kingkool
hi, any advice appreciated. Booked FD (3x) from C1e to connecting city, then onward (same itinerary, same airline) .
Flight from C1e has been delayed, and it looks like I will surely miss the connection. Obviously I will not call airline now, and will not talk to them about rebooking until I arrive in the connecting city, but what should I expect when they rebook me after I miss connection in the connecting city? Any advice on how to handle the odd looking 3x at the end?

Edit: Thinking maybe I should handle rebooking at city of departure instead of connecting city. Reasons being: it will probably be chaotic with people rebooking (less chance they will notice or want to deal with me; it will be well after close of normal business hours (after midnight); it will be out of the home city of the airline, so i'll probably just be dealing with some flight attendant that just wants the plane to leave. Thoughts?

Also, in case they figure it out, I can always just pay the missing fuel charge, right (it was not huge)? And if flight is next day, they still have to pay my accomodations?
Have you checked the carrier's app to see if you can rebook yourself?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Have you checked the carrier's app to see if you can rebook yourself?
Thanks. It looks like the airline automatically rebooked me for connection the next day (the arrival time is after my scheduled connection time), but with "restricted check-in; check in at airport." In any case they are EU carrier, and I think the 5+ hour delay compensation will be greater than the fuel surcharges
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

TK FD

Looking at some c1-c2 TK itineraries with reasonable BFs but over $450 in fuel charges. Rules seem to allow end-on-end, side trips, etc, but I just haven't been able to trim anything. I have tried on occasions trimming TK fat in the past as well, but never with any success.

Any hint or help would be greatly appreciated, in exchange for a working strike or two!

Please PM me.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:05 am

How to Ticket ?

Hey guys, I have been playing with this around for awhile and have gone quite far since i started.

Finally I wanted to try book my 1st FD trip but .... happened. I'm not able to get it ticketed !
Is there anyone here willing to help out?

What I am trying to ticket out is a complex itinerary as part of my RTW plan:
Departure: C2W - C3SE (extended stopover) - C6
Return : C6 - C2.5(short stopover) - C2W
All in for ~650$ with flyable 1X . On a very good airlines !
On some specific OTA, I can see the price quoted and can proceed all the way, until I made my payment. And then .... happened, system error when trying to ticket.....

Willing to share a couples of tricks (range from about 150$ ~ 350$ ) C2-C3 , C2-C4, C2-C5, C3-C2, C3-C4 in exchage for tips to get my trip ticketed.
PM me for more detaill. Cheers !
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA
C2-c1-c4 rt €290

C2-C1-C4 RT €290. I'm sure this price can be improved, but departing and arriving cities are very convenient for me. If anyone can help me learn how to dump C2-C4 without stop in C1, I will share details of this itinerary.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
C2w - C1w in business/first - class EUR 739.18 all incl.

Fare gone ! ::: C2w - C1w in business/first - class ! 739.18 EUR all inclusiv
l0rd likes this.

Last edited by bertheike; Apr 30, 2018 at 3:25 pm Reason: Fare gone
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by FLA77
Looking at some c1-c2 TK itineraries with reasonable BFs but over $450 in fuel charges. Rules seem to allow end-on-end, side trips, etc, but I just haven't been able to trim anything. I have tried on occasions trimming TK fat in the past as well, but never with any success.

Any hint or help would be greatly appreciated, in exchange for a working strike or two!

Please PM me.
Bake in the sun first, and then in the cold. Those work outs burn all the fuel and make you lean.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
$450 for C1-C2. Why is this a deal? Visit 3 cities in Europe for the price of one. Details are in the routing.

Not an LLC - your baggage is included.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Timidocvl
$450 for C1-C2. Why is this a deal? Visit 3 cities in Europe for the price of one. Details are in the routing.
Not an LLC - your baggage is included.
$450 is the fuel surcharge. BF is around $130, so if the fat is fully removed then we are looking at something a little over $200 all in.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by maxiet
C2-C1-C4 RT €290. I'm sure this price can be improved, but departing and arriving cities are very convenient for me. If anyone can help me learn how to dump C2-C4 without stop in C1, I will share details of this itinerary.
Price can be improved by ~€50 depending on C2 departure, you can't avoid C1.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by wley

.........What I am trying to ticket out is a complex itinerary as part of my RTW plan:
Departure: C2W - C3SE (extended stopover) - C6
Return : C6 - C2.5(short stopover) - C2W
All in for ~650$ with flyable 1X . On a very good airlines !
On some specific OTA, I can see the price quoted and can proceed all the way, until I made my payment. And then .... happened, system error when trying ...........
Finally managed to get it ticketed with a slight change of routing ! I'm excited to fly my 1st FD trip but at the same time worried to get caught .

Any advise for flying FD with this airline ????? Do I really need to avoid counter check in like some people mentioned here ? Can i check in my luggage ? If they caught me and I'm not willing to pay for the fat, is the airline liable to refund me the unused portion of the ticket ? Will be flying the 1x anyway if that's matter.

Last edited by wley; May 3, 2018 at 5:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.