Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Skywards, British Airways Avion, Aeroplan, Qatar Airways, Jet Airways
Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
I didn't mentioned this fare was for 2 passengers minimum. I figured that out 5 minutes after I started searching yesterday. Yet 5 hours later yesterday and 3 hours of searching today I tried all possible 1x and 3x in UK, Russia, Norway, Germany, Spain and surrounding countries (also between those countries in all combinations) on Expedia with POS in 4 EU countries, 3 other major countries, kayak (all the same countries), momondo (same), priceline, not a single one was combinable with the fare.
On ITA (all kind of POS) it would combine with a very expensive economy fare only. When setting a particular fare basis it would never find any options.
I guess the only answer is that the combination was a very specific one, from what I know it wasn't a simple 1x or 3x in C2. Too bad, because I actually wanted to fly that route and even was prepared to fly 1x in C2.
I guess need to start learning other kind of combinations.
that's right. it looks like it isn't just a simple 1x or a 3x. There could be more to it. If there are any pointers from senior members, it will definitely help in learning this kind of combination.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by mbglo
Woops, sorry for spamming. This has been up for discussion here before and I'm unsure whether it died and resurfaced or just been there all along.

C2-C1-C4 / C4-C1-C2 for $178.

And on the above note, this should be useful without saying anything else (i.e. you should be able to find the fare if you spend some time looking for it).
I found C2-C1-C4 / C4-C1-(C1-)-C2 for 115.87Ł (131.55USD).
Trick involved. I do actually consider flying it.

Do you think this is the same flight that you got?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
I didn't mentioned this fare was for 2 passengers minimum. I figured that out 5 minutes after I started searching yesterday. Yet 5 hours later yesterday and 3 hours of searching today I tried all possible 1x and 3x in UK, Russia, Norway, Germany, Spain and surrounding countries (also between those countries in all combinations) on Expedia with POS in 4 EU countries, 3 other major countries, kayak (all the same countries), momondo (same), priceline, not a single one was combinable with the fare. Given that the availability for that fare basis was definitely there when not combining.
On ITA (all kind of POS) it would combine with a very expensive economy fare only. When setting a particular fare basis it would never find any options.
I guess the only answer is that the combination was a very specific one, from what I know it wasn't a simple 1x or 3x in C2. Too bad, because I actually wanted to fly that route and even was prepared to fly 1x in C2.
I guess need to start learning other kind of combinations.

As it is already over now (17 Jan in Middle East), can anyone at least say the name of that secret combination? Something like double decker or compressed strike? Or something else? (don't know what these are, it was never openly revealed in this thread, but read a lot mentions of them in 2013-2014 thread nhistory)[/QUOTED]
Judging by your name and the absense of any info as to where you are located
It it would seem unlikely that you could have utilized this one.

If I was new to FDing, I would make my trusted friendships well in advance of my intended travel and not 24 hours before a ticketing deadline. Same advise to multiple other FTers. PMs with coded references do not work.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jan 17, 2017 at 4:58 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:22 pm
Egc

Originally Posted by Euro404
I found C2-C1-C4 / C4-C1-(C1-)-C2 for 115.87Ł (131.55USD).
Trick involved. I do actually consider flying it.

Do you think this is the same flight that you got?

Been trying to find for for days, lucky you!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:39 pm

Hey guys. Been working on this for some time and could use some directions.
TLV-PAR 25-31/1/17 RT
on LX (FB is 5$) or on QS (FB is approx. 60$) or on LH (FB is 28$)
all seem to be dumpable, but i can't find a 3x.
Any1 knows if this is dumpable? and maybe can give me some clues where to look (geo and ota)

Tnx a lot
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Euro404
I found C2-C1-C4 / C4-C1-(C1-)-C2 .... Do you think this is the same flight that you got?
I think you guys post the same over and over again. Nothing new and the only change over the months (actually about 1-2 weeks ago) was that in the lowest fare a stopover in C1 was removed (but unlimited transfers still there).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by escapevelocity
that's right. it looks like it isn't just a simple 1x or a 3x. There could be more to it. If there are any pointers from senior members, it will definitely help in learning this kind of combination.
I played a bit with routings on matrix, eg. C1-(C2)-C2.5-SEZ-C2.5-C2-C1-Cx
WWE mentioned earlier that flight from zola was in F (afaik it was similar deal but smth with business promo). That's exactly what i saw.
Of course, price was crazy 15k, but i guess that correct combination would allow to price it in coach (some OTAs priced economy at 2.2k). I forgot about 2 ppl fares and the whole deal is not flyable for me, so haven't tried to dig deeper.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Judging by your name and the absense of any info as to where you are located
It it would seem unlikely that you could have utilized this one.

If I was new to FDing, I would make my trusted friendships well in advance of my intended travel and not 24 hours before a ticketing deadline. Same advise to multiple other FTers. PMs with coded references do not work.
It's not always wise to judge based on name.
I had lots of PMs from other members and we were combining our effort in finding this one. I sent some PMs in past to some of the deal publishers (I'm watching this thread for months), I never received a single reply (not even "no I won't tell you") and therefore assumed that this is useless and I need to study more. I read pretty much everything what was written between mid 2013 and early 2014.
What do I miss? And what was that combination?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:39 am
Egc

Originally Posted by man4business
I think you guys post the same over and over again. Nothing new and the only change over the months (actually about 1-2 weeks ago) was that in the lowest fare a stopover in C1 was removed (but unlimited transfers still there).
Ohhhh I was looking for it with stopover and I was getting around 800, good t know that it's only transfer in c1.
Thabk you!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:10 pm

C2-C4 (without C1) €199.01 ai rt

Last edited by Redshun; Jan 17, 2017 at 6:21 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat, BA EC Bronze, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Redshun
C2-C4 (without C1) €199.01 ai rt
That's a great price! I booked my first FD ever yesterday a few minutes before your post: C2-C4 $291 AI R/T.

(BTW, this is also my first post in FT despite being a member for 7 years...)

I'm not sure if my trip is the same as yours... Mine leaves from DaDa-city on a direct flight to C4 and also includes a domestic flight somewhere (which I needed as part of another trip).

My dates are not flexible at all, so $291 was the best I could get.. I'm sure other people here can get it much cheaper.

Finding it in ITA was easy, but having it actually issued by an OTA was a challenge. Only a few would find this fare and most of the time I would go all the way to processing the payment only to get a reply that the fare price has increased or that it could not be issued because one airline required "paper tickets".

A small OTA completed the booking and then cancelled it about 20min later. I've finally managed to book it in a large OTA by changing the domestic flight to another carrier...

Last edited by swerx; Jan 18, 2017 at 3:43 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by oplerc
Hey guys. Been working on this for some time and could use some directions.
TLV-PAR 25-31/1/17 RT
on LX (FB is 5$) or on QS (FB is approx. 60$) or on LH (FB is 28$)
all seem to be dumpable, but i can't find a 3x.
Any1 knows if this is dumpable? and maybe can give me some clues where to look (geo and ota)

Tnx a lot
Not every airline is easily and fully dumpable with a 3x.
And TLV-PAR is not the most expensive route either. With a 3x-dumped flight you'll end up at almost the same price what PS and A3 charge for a regular ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
C2-C3se 79€.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: cine
Originally Posted by burito
C2-C3se 79€.
1x? EK?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Various
Enjoy more!

Originally Posted by burito
C2-C3se 79€.
why not visit C3+C3+C6 for 24.6€ more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.