Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Actually TK YQ = $ 396.00 => $ 0 possible on C1-C2.
What's not said is that you get less than 50 bucks total savings and a possible Zika infection. And that is before you add the cost of positioning to this airport. I won't bother.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Igetit
What's not said is that you get less than 50 bucks total savings and a possible Zika infection. And that is before you add the cost of positioning to this airport. I won't bother.
Posting was not for you. Nobody is asking you whether you should bother with anything or if you in your situation can use or not use. It was an answer to an implied question about what is possible and it will work beautifully for a number of people, who know and use another trick and who do not have such a myopic view of the world of international travel. Imagine if all FTer responded like you to every posting that they can not use a particular construction. Your entire line of postings have been about what can not be done and why. A number of people do not seem to mind spending a lot of their time posting cleverly worded nocandos. How about spending their valuable time developing deals and posting deals ?

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Aug 3, 2016 at 6:44 am
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Nobody is asking you to bother with anything. It was an answer to an implied question and it will work beautifully for a number of people, who know and use another trick and who do not have a myopic view of these issues..
Reminds me of that joke:

A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted,
"Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."
The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude."
"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.
"I am," replied the man, "How did you know?"
"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help so far."
The man below responded, "You must be a manager."
"I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know."
"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is, you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

In full disclosure, no Ballon Xs.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
Originally Posted by made_by_hugo
Reminds me of that joke:

It is not a bad example for coaching. Direct response is no guarantee that someone will not lose himself next time ...
FD is a game, is a game, is a game - where you overcome obstacles. Some do not even know that it can be a possibility to overcome or bypass. Then a simple answer that something is possible, it is a big help in itself. Whether it is worth it is up to you.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:58 am
Suspended

.... dup

Last edited by Igetit; Aug 3, 2016 at 12:36 pm Reason: duplicate post
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended

What kind of games?

I thought the game was to significantly lower the TOTAL price and not just the YQ.
Go ahead play your games but at least be a bit more transparent so your posts do not look like click bait.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:27 am

I thought the game was to significantly lower the TOTAL price and not just the YQ.
Go ahead play your games but at least be a bit more transparent so your posts do not look like click bait.
I thought the game was about possibilities of what and how can be achieved. Low prices is a direct consequence, but not a necessary condition.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
What click bait ? The question was a general one. About TK YQ C1-C2 and if it could be eliminated . Read the context. What "tranparency ? It was not about posting a specific deal at a specific price. Several people people in New York,Miami and Toronto found it very useful for their purposes. Look up "myopic"

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Aug 3, 2016 at 9:36 am
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:53 pm
Suspended

The problem of thinking in the ether zone

... Never mind. It's kinda hopeless

Last edited by Igetit; Aug 3, 2016 at 4:28 pm Reason: To make people happy
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:10 pm

Following the logic of some folks here (...)

How many people here would happen to be in Zika country to do this. Is that cost-free? Doubt it. Fuel Dumping with not all the costs accounted for is bogus thinking.
Well taking the logic to the extreme we can claim all airlines are "dumpable" except those that don't have fuel
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
Following the logic of some folks here ... ....
Logic says not to play chess ad hoc, but count on several moves ahead...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:26 am

Smile Newbie questions: 1x/3x timings with regards to travelling segments

Newbie question, have never done FD, but this technique has seriously got me addicted . Not for the possibility that it cuts the fat, but because it's a way for tit for tat that makes pax. even with carriers with absurd fat:base logic!

1. If one is booking 1x and the intention is to not fly that one, should the 1x be placed close to 2x or further away? On that note do unrelated airlines communicate well with the other OW/*A/ST alliances about missed segments?

2.Is it safe to provide FF# in any kind of FD trick, where one is planning to miss some segments? As long as it's done online on website without any assistance from the operator/staff, this shouldn't cause any problem, or will it?

3. Is it safe to check bags? When an airline staff checks in the bag at the airport, I think that they would only see the part of the itinerary that's concerned with their airline. A hypothetical example: JFK-AUH(10.Aug) -PEK(10.Nov). Since the 3x segment is so far away, would it still show up on travel on 10th Aug to the airport staff. I personally doubt so. Once I booked STO-FRA-VIE-BRU-STO via LH, on which first segment was on LH and last on OS-SN. The return wouldn't even show up on LH site on manage my booking section. It just showed the segments covered by LH.

4. If I am to travel with infant on FD, and request airline to book a baby bassinet, this might attract some attention on the itineary? Am I safe in assuming that it might not be wise to travel with infant on such a FD trip.

4.Finally I have found excellent fat on TK that would be very nice to trim between C2-C3, but unable to find any suitable 3x options. Have read that TK blends nicely with TK, but unable to find a proper strike (1x is also fine) in C2. Any clues in this regards would be highly appreciated.

@Mod- Please feel free to edit, in case I have written something, which I shouldn't have.

Thanks

Last edited by andydd; Aug 4, 2016 at 5:31 am Reason: Made a certain region more obscure on advise of a forum colleague
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by andydd
Newbie question, have never done FD, but this technique has seriously got me addicted . Not for the possibility that it cuts the fat, but because it's a way for tit for tat that makes pax. even with carriers with absurd fat:base logic!

1. If one is booking 1x and the intention is to not fly that one, should the 1x be placed close to 2x or further away? On that note, do LCC in XXX communicate well with the other OW/*A/ST alliances about missed segments? have you read nothing about skipping 1x and the outcome this usually presents? suppose you can always go for it and see what happens on your own

2.Is it safe to provide FF# in any kind of FD trick, where one is planning to miss some segments? As long as it's done online on website without any assistance from the operator/staff, this shouldn't cause any problem, or will it? why not add your FF# as the only thing which should happen is not getting miles credited for the missed segment considering you could have missed it for entirely legitimate reasons

4. If I am to travel with infant on FD, and request airline to book a baby bassinet, this might attract some attention on the itinerary? Am I safe in assuming that it might not be wise to travel with infant on such a FD trip. why would you think it a good idea to subject your family to the potential risks of travelling on a FD ticket, never mind making special requests for bassinets, etc

4.Finally I have found excellent fat on TK that would be very nice to trim between C2-C3, but unable to find any suitable 3x options. Have read that TK blends nicely with TK, but unable to find a proper strike (1x is also fine) in C2. Any clues in this regards would be highly appreciated. i'm sure you read the part of the wiki which says this is not the 'beg it' thread? finding a fare you want to dump is just the tip of the iceberg; more work to determine whats possible is required before closely guarded information will be provided, that much is certain
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by andydd

1. If one is booking 1x and the intention is to not fly that one, should the 1x be placed close to 2x or further away? On that note, do LCC in C4.Olympics communicate well with the other OW/*A/ST alliances about missed segments?
Not flying a 1x is as far as I understand a very bad idea? Missing 1 segment on one ticket = all segments canceled.

2.Is it safe to provide FF# in any kind of FD trick, where one is planning to miss some segments? As long as it's done online on website without any assistance from the operator/staff, this shouldn't cause any problem, or will it?
I dont think its an issue.
3. When an airline staff checks in the bag at the airport, I think that they would only see the part of the itinerary that's concerned with their airline. A hypothetical example: JFK-AUH(10.Aug) -PEK(10.Nov). Since the 3x segment is so far away, would it still show up on travel on 10th Aug to the airport staff. I personally doubt so. Once I booked STO-FRA-VIE-BRU-STO via LH, on which first segment was on LH and last on OS-SN. The return wouldn't even show up on LH site on manage my booking section. It just showed the segments covered by LH.
They might very well see it (the 3x segment, which desnt have to be from auh in your example but can be from anywhere to peking) but you can say that you will fly the intermediate segment on another ticket or (if you are looking particularly important that day) with a private jet.

4. If I am to travel with infant on FD, and request airline to book a baby bassinet, this might attract some attention on the itineary? Am I safe in assuming that it might not be wise to travel with infant on such a FD trip.
Let the more seasoned FD ers give you a better answer but indeed I think it's best to leave FD ing for when you are travelling with your partner or alone, because what if your ticket gets cancelled or run into problems, you dont want your infant going through that.

4.Finally I have found excellent fat on TK that would be very nice to trim between C2-C3, but unable to find any suitable 3x options. Have read that TK blends nicely with TK, but unable to find a proper strike (1x is also fine) in C2. Any clues in this regards would be highly appreciated.

@Mod- Please feel free to edit, in case I have written something, which I shouldn't have.

Thanks
i don't know the answer to your last question. You might not get an answer here if people arent willing to share what they found.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:23 am

Thanks Bakpapier & Neil791. That was informative. I will continue to work on TK myself. I have indeed found some FDs, but TK looked very promising candidate wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.