Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: pandas
Looks like times have changed, folks. Looks like a number of major holes have been plugged. Just gotta wait for new fares to pop up...

Thanks blogs
Old May 2, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
any clue how they found out ? my flight is booked for 6months from now ...I'm getting nervous already lol..but my last(3x) leg is after a week after I fly back , am I in a better position?
Old May 2, 2016, 9:24 pm
formerly chrisbarnett01

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
any clue how they found out ? my flight is booked for 6months from now ...I'm getting nervous already lol..but my last(3x) leg is after a week after I fly back , am I in a better position?

Blogs. The blogs drew attention to it.

If you start in C1 and used the correct X factor, you are probably ok. Time will tell.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Silvermirage
Looks like a number of major holes have been plugged.
I was trying to dump a C1-C3 fare that used to be a slam dunk and couldn't get it to budge

Last edited by Madone59; May 2, 2016 at 9:37 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by genericnoob
Useless comment
You are a very smart person.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that you are now a respected member of our tight knit community.

Please join in on our happy circle-jerk session.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AA,Hilton,Club Carlson,Avis
Just checked some C1-C6 fares for dates near & far and found out there is no FAT at all. Base fares have tripled or quadrupled for nearly every airline compared to a couple of weeks ago.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by amunra
Just checked some C1-C6 fares for dates near & far and found out there is no FAT at all. Base fares have tripled or quadrupled for nearly every airline compared to a couple of weeks ago.

It is.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by amunra

"Nearly every airline".. except the one I see a $500+ reduction possible c1w-c6 for $513. Not as sexy as the $320 it was.. but still great value and widely available.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Gold
OW/ST C1s - C3se for ~$510. Bookable on a handful of OTAs.

My try at being cryptic: This famous draft pick from 94' has a home town whose sister city will help get you dessert.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:05 am

C’mon guys!

How many times have members mentioned donkey-can-do-it strike FDs were overexposed? Especially ex-C1. Still mentioning it? For what? To kill the remaining ones? What’s the point of saying whether there is YQ or not at this point? What’s the point of mentioning how much you can reduce in certain routes?

Let’s keep calm and develop better skills. Let’s move forward from donkey-can-do-it to monkey-can-do-it level.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:19 pm

better skills allow you to dump YQ on fares where in fact is none or soon wont be? Thanks for enlightening.

Ignoring facts (or maybe not knowing them)? Watch out for monkey-masqueraded donkeys!
Old May 4, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Oneworld, Hilton, IHG
If there is no donkey, who employs the monkey?
Old May 4, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by RangeXT
better skills allow you to dump YQ on fares where in fact is none or soon wont be? Thanks for enlightening.

Ignoring facts (or maybe not knowing them)? Watch out for monkey-masqueraded donkeys!
Box meet RangeXT. He lives within you and will die within you.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA,Hilton,Club Carlson,Avis
Originally Posted by Tblack15
"Nearly every airline".. except the one I see a $500+ reduction possible c1w-c6 for $513. Not as sexy as the $320 it was.. but still great value and widely available.
Looks like the number of departure points are only a few where it used to be many. If donkeys and monkeys keep booking then soon we will have none.

Next step is to figure out whether the base fares can be dumped. Looks like someone is already working on this.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:51 am

back to business

Originally Posted by flylonghaul
It is.
If you're up looking overnight EST you'll notice that several cheaper fares with YR/YQ and amenable fare rules come up then. I also noticed that uptick in fare prices, but over time I've seen this temporary trend a number of times. It usually lasts a few days or a week, but it always evens out again. The same is true with FDing.

Obviously I haven't posted on here a lot, but I've followed a lot of this thread and others, and I've also been involved in FDing for a while and in all this time no exposure was ever permanent. FDs come and they go, and a city pair that may be busted now, might not be next year, or for particular flights.

It's been said before, most notably by Scottrick over on MP, that the FDs we're able to engineer are due to fundamental problems in the architecture of the airlines booking and fare management systems. Without fixing these, which would involve a complete re-engineer and a .... ton of money, there is no solution the airlines can take other than to temporarily plug holes as they become aware of them. And btw, they don't become aware of them because they have the time (or patience) to read and interpret this behemoth of a thread. They become aware of them because flight booking software alerts them to an unusual increase in bookings on a particular route, which happens when FDs get exposed on blogs or other highly trafficked sites. They then investigate and plug the hole.

Or as WWE said a couple of pages ago, people have declared the demise of FDing over 5 times and it never happens. So can we just get back to posting on the actual business of FDing already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.