Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: MyMcDonald's
Damn you guys watch them like a hawk. You're right though, I see it now. Well in any case, it still works. How long has this strike been working, 15+ years??
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: Le Blue
Originally Posted by hotcarl69
C1w to C3e in the low $600s, safe construction, stopovers okay, non LCC. I'm sure someone more experienced can do much better with different routing but that's where I'm at now.
Nice to see you make quick progress. Getting there!!
Low $400 is possible. Keep going.
(stopover a week for sun tanning possible, price refer to other expert's recommendation below)

This may not last long - YOU KNOW WHO said.

Last edited by Flyinghobby; Jun 18, 2023 at 8:43 am
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flyinghobby
Nice to see you make quick progress. Getting there!!
Low $400 is possible. Keep going.

This may not last long - YOU KNOW WHO said.
Now you're dangling the carrot in front of my nose. For low $400s I may fly it.
Alright, back to the drawing board.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Damn you guys watch them like a hawk. You're right though, I see it now. Well in any case, it still works. How long has this strike been working, 15+ years??
Why not make a stop on a tropical island in the middle of the pacific and pay $379.35 All-in with 3X.

I paid $ 223.45 three months ago when base fares were lower. And stopped mid-pacific on return.
marconess and poorseaman like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Why not make a stop on a tropical island in the middle of the pacific and pay $379.35 All-in with 3X.

I paid $ 223.45 three months ago when base fares were lower. And stopped mid-pacific on return.
Now THAT is worth the 5 hour positioning flight. I'm gonna be ripping my hair out all night trying to find this. Thanks for the nudge.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Now THAT is worth the 5 hour positioning flight. I'm gonna be ripping my hair out all night trying to find this. Thanks for the nudge.
Let's make it easy. Its fully ITAable.

With a name like yours, your GF may not allow you time off !!
pointy likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:09 pm

OTA can do $325. Much closer to once it was.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
I appreciate that the Intents stated above are good but low base fares and favorable fare rules do not guarantee dumpability. Waste of time and $$$ IMO.
Yes...very much agreed. The more interesting ones are the OTA-only fares :-).
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by keneshhagard
Yes...very much agreed. The more interesting ones are the OTA-only fares :-).
Fares are determined by the airlines not the OTAs. Some OTAs accommodate YQ removal. That's the correct description.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by SourSweetTea
OTA can do $325
$296
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:04 pm

there's a PDF on computational complexity of flight routings - it's a chapter of some course at MIT

search: Computational Complexity of Air Travel Planning Carl de Marcken ITA Software (51 pages)

the search space is massive, unless you're working with someone here that knows how to prune the space (either very well defined heuristics, or they understand the rules that's causing the pricing systems to drop the YQ) - you'll be burning money on compute

Last edited by mytotoro; Jun 16, 2023 at 8:15 pm
Old Jun 18, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriot
I can't believe it actually worked. Missed the deal to C2.5 but I got this one. After so many failures and aimlessly searching I felt like it was all a hoax.

No stop for me because of limited time off but I got a pair for 3forty7 each. Couldn't find the 296 from man4business but I'm okay with a tip

Thanks hotcarl69 and WingedWorldExplorer
habaryu, 321 and hotcarl69 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Is there a particular booking engine to look for these? Hopefully this is an okay question. Couldn’t find it addressed in the thread or wiki.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:57 pm

Thanks for the hints all! I was able to use this to find several options - got it down to 360. It sounds like I've got some more fat to trim
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:59 pm

What dates are you all looking for? I was looking for next year and could not get anything less than 600! Would appreciate any pointers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.