Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:13 am

ADVISE

Originally Posted by ozzsolo
Don't know where you are heading out of JFK for $95.77 US on AA to catch AF dump ..
I can advise to you simply use kayak : JFK to any and filter under 100$
AND u will find at least ur neighbor
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
Originally Posted by ashfr
Thank you for your reply. As I have to flight during public holidays, BF are rather high. If I do not find a trick, I will buy the ticket as a classic customer. I try to travel as much as possible. If i can FD a flight, it will allow me to do additional activities during my holidays.

For instance, I was looking for a X strike with UU as the BF was really low to MRU. I did not manage to find a solution and finally buy a ticket with KQ without FD.

I will try some DD and will revert to you if I find one from Paris.
I’ve flown to Mru before in Biz on a AF dump but originated in C1. The ticket was a simple round trip C1 - MRU return.

These were the legs
1. C1- AF hub on AF , 074 stock
9 hour layover
2. AF hub - MRU on a codeshare, 074 stock
13 days at destination
3. MRU - nearby island on same carrier , 074 stock
5 hour layover
4. island - french alternate airport on AF , 074 stock
8 hour layover with airport change
5. AF hub - origin airport it C1 on AF, 074 stock

Originally Posted by Timidocvl
Unfortunately sometimes the edited post puts out a price that may not be obvious our accessible to most folks (i cannot access this but one family member can for example) so I rather focus on the spirit of the post. The post gives you a clue on where to start your dump - if you find it, keep that in your back pocket for future travels. It's a lovely place to escape New York winters.

Personally this search reminds me of a childhood series that I really enjoyed - Les Mystérieuses City's D'or - where there are many clues in the search for gold.

is the starting leg operated by AF?

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 9, 2023 at 9:45 am Reason: Consecutive posts
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by tessy143
is the starting leg operated by AF?
If we talking about the universal fuel cleaner for the airline, the answer is no.

Originally Posted by MTOP
I can advise to you simply use kayak : JFK to any and filter under 100$
AND u will find at least ur neighbor
Google explorer allows you to check one-way trips and filter airline (at least alliance anyways). "anywhere" is not really a setting but you can search entire countries / regions / continents for up to 6 months.

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 9, 2023 at 9:45 am Reason: Consecutive posts
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Today, 9:24 am
tessy143
Quote:
I’ve flown to Mru before in Biz on a AF dump but originated in C1. The ticket was a simple round trip C1 - MRU return. UnQuote:

It was not a dump. It was a mistake fare.
ECONOMY class fare mistakenly booking as BUSINESS class.

"Simple Round Trip" and "Dump" are contradictory terms.

Quote:
Apr 7, 23, 11:41 am
ozzsolo
Don't know where you are heading out of JFK for $95.77 US on AA to catch AF dump factor because everything in antilles or C4 is higher than this price. At least $115 US to PLS, BDA, Quito, Grand Cayman, Nassau. Even Puerto Rico is at least $112 US for a one way.. Thanks for the hint but I don't understand where is this Airport. Unless the X factor is in USA mainland..Un
Quote:

Thats because you do not know the AA booking trick that gets you 30 % discount on a regular booking.

Btw: I just booked a 2nd positioning flight for September at the exact same price.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Apr 9, 2023 at 5:21 pm
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:33 pm

Hiya... newbie here. Been reading and reading for months (never commented though) but still nowhere near to being at a proficient. Was wondering if I could ask for some advice... The biggest piece of advice I keep seeing is do not contact the airlines. I managed to get my first fare booked but I need a visa for the destination. It's not a hard visa to get but I suspect at check-in there will be a document check for the visa because of my passport. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Or is it that I just have to hope that the desk agent is not sharp-eyed enough to notice?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Today, 9:24 am
tessy143
Quote:
I’ve flown to Mru before in Biz on a AF dump but originated in C1. The ticket was a simple round trip C1 - MRU return. UnQuote:

It was not a dump. It was a mistake fare.
ECONOMY class fare mistakenly booking as BUSINESS class.

"Simple Round Trip" and "Dump" are contradictory terms.

Quote:
Apr 7, 23, 11:41 am
ozzsolo
Don't know where you are heading out of JFK for $95.77 US on AA to catch AF dump factor because everything in antilles or C4 is higher than this price. At least $115 US to PLS, BDA, Quito, Grand Cayman, Nassau. Even Puerto Rico is at least $112 US for a one way.. Thanks for the hint but I don't understand where is this Airport. Unless the X factor is in USA mainland..Un
Quote:

Thats because you do not know the AA booking trick that gets you 30 % discount on a regular booking.

Btw: I just booked a 2nd positioning flight for September at the exact same price.
What post number is the "AA booking trick that gets you 30 % discount on a regular booking"?
Or was this trick only verbally shared amongst the chosen?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: Le Blue
Those special discount requires membership, not good for ordinary folks outside of USA. It is not totally relevant to regular FD savings. Correct me if I am wrong.

The engineering work for AF is high and involves a specific "Breakfast" in a quite far area to most of us; and YQ is a bit low $240, then you do the calculation.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Flyinghobby
Those special discount requires membership, not good for ordinary folks outside of USA. It is not totally relevant to regular FD savings. Correct me if I am wrong.

The engineering work for AF is high and involves a specific "Breakfast" in a quite far area to most of us; and YQ is a bit low $240, then you do the calculation.
Originally Posted by man4business
The cheapest strike I am aware of is for $89 (I mean BF). As for the dumped YQ and BF ratio - everyone can check and decide if something is worth it or not (in many cases it is not).
Well BF is 89$ but total strike price is 210$ (strike itself), plus it's quite a journey to take that one. There's also another cheaper strike..but not significantly..All in all economic feasiblity of this dump is tough nut, unless someone's anyway in the region.

Last edited by andydd; Apr 10, 2023 at 1:04 pm
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:58 pm

This is what I said. In many cases it is not worth it. Nowadays, many strikes begin with inconvenient and expensive 1X. That's the reality.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by euromannn
What post number is the "AA booking trick that gets you 30 % discount on a regular booking"?
Or was this trick only verbally shared amongst the chosen?
For obvious reasons, since it's Not a FD trick it
has never been posted or shared.
Contrary to your obsession, there are no "chosen" or "club".
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:27 am

For obvious reasons, since it's Not a FD trick it
has never been posted or shared.
Circular argument again that you post it hasn't been shared then at times you keep wanting to refer back 500 plus pages looking for something only a few shared with you.
Or are you the originator of the idea and never shared?

"AA booking trick that gets you 30 % discount on a regular booking"

Maybe some will take the secret to their grave.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:13 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=euromannn;35161015[/QUOTE].
Simply responding to someone who could not find or understand that a positioning flight could be obtained for the price.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:19 am

Simply responding to someone who could not find or understand that a positioning flight could be obtained for the price.
Simply responding but not clarifying how one can find this discount trick.
I suspect you have used this discount code trick and someone else shared with correct?
Missing is sharing that is not documented nor shared even with long posters on FT.

So the circular argument continues no sharing of information either written or verbal with members just someone knows and who and how many is unknown and difficult to verify it exists.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:27 am
Suspended

It's a positioning flight and not a FD and thus not relevant to this thread.
Why don't you find the AF strike first and then worry about positioning flight.
Sounds like you feel entitled, merely by being a member on FT.
Timidocvl and Famous Kitten like this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Apr 11, 2023 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
C1-C2 for $227 this fall; in theory you can get below $200 but I can't get any OTA to quite comply.

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 11, 2023 at 1:14 pm Reason: Remove comment re deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.