Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:50 am

IN other words....

Originally Posted by man4business
Good joke. There are also persons here who can share the experience of being denied boarding just after flying the first leg - and yes, the 1X was the same day this is why geting BF was possible (before skipping 1X).
Enlighten me ... sequence was : 1st- fly(X) was skipped, 2nd -main (1st leg) was fluted ,3d-(2nd leg)--was denied?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by MTOP
Enlighten me ... sequence was : 1st- fly(X) was skipped, 2nd -main (1st leg) was fluted ,3d-(2nd leg)--was denied?
I suggest you book a dump with german swan with the above mentioned construction and you be self enlightened..
karlot_96 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by MTOP
sequence was
Yes, 1X (same day), then the main flight from A to C, made of two flights, AB - BC / rt (where B is the airline hub). Issuing BP for 1X and AB was possible before skipping 1X and AB worked. Then at the B airport boarding to BC was denied due to 1X no-show.
karlot_96 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:50 am

Yes, 1X (same day), then the main flight from A to C, made of two flights, AB - BC / rt (where B is the airline hub). Issuing BP for 1X and AB was possible before skipping 1X and AB worked. Then at the B airport boarding to BC was denied due to 1X no-show.
Im one of who experienced this ....was hard to accept --> BUT, this is the game

Last edited by karlot_96; Mar 27, 2023 at 6:21 am Reason: ediiiit
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
I think you have just made the precise argument why pursuing this hobby is not time efficient for you.
1. Counter intuitively, CDG as airport of Origin is generally the exception to AF dumpability,
I believe that I have understand which kind of flights you are suggesting to FD with AF and departure in CDG. There are few destinations from CDG (C1e only) and BF is too high for being worthy from CDG, but it could work from other departure.

ashf 1. checking various OTAs has nothing to do with currency glitch as well as it is irrelevant which currency you display. If ITA Matrix Powertools does not work then you have a problem: you can install it etierh as a web browser extension (e.g. most popular chrome) but also as a script via another extension Tampermonkey. If you do not see your ITA result quickly in kayak, momondo, or skyscanner, then you have to check also various countries. Then, the other groups of OTAs (all are seen within the working properly powertools). There are really many, and surpriosingly, only one and in a specific country could work. 2. finding 3X (or anything else) means that you discovered a proper airline and country (usually departure country). The optimization comes later, you can totally separately look for one way lowest fare for a given airline within a given country etc. Then, to apply the cheapest to your main fare.
It works ! Thank you. I get a 3X but the FD ticket is not really worthy compared to the current sales made for instance by AF. I notice that when I add my 3X, the classification fare is upgraded in ITA. Therefore the bargain is not really worthy : it only allows me to have a checked luggage and few bucks less.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:26 am

please clarify

Originally Posted by karlot_96
Im one of who experienced this ....was hard to accept --> BUT, this is the game
in another words" made of two flights, AB - BC / rt (where B is the airline hub)":
it was booked in one price in multi-city? not separate ?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:32 am

Reutrn ticket with 1X, what is not clear to you?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:13 am

Please go back to my pm

Originally Posted by ashfr
I have managed with the Mapple carrier (3X).......
Last, I understand the principle of the double decker trick. But how do you know which companies or alliance are suitable for this trick and that it become worthy to search ? just luck ?
IS this "leaf" itself? or other local---Please help me in PM
YOUR " suitable for this trick and that it become worthy to search"---you check YQ in MATRIX?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:00 am

would the same still apply if both legs are checked in and printed in the same boarding pass? Would think that the denial happens if there’s a need to check in progressively
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:04 am

Even if there is chance to get all BFs due to tight time window (1X, AB, BC), this is not going to work on return. In this particular case I think it might end up even worse - denial of boarding at the C airport.
karlot_96 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:19 am

Even if there is chance to get all BFs due to tight time window (1X, AB, BC), this is not going to work on return. In this particular case I think it might end up even worse - denial of boarding at the C airport.
True.. just being curious, what does BF here mean? Been knowing it as base fare but saw it being mentioned a few times recently where it wouldn’t make sense to be so.
habaryu likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:26 am

Sorry, my typo, I meant BPs (Boarding Passes). What would be better: a) to be denied before flight at A b) to be denied at B c) to be denied at C. Out of three options I would say a) is the least painful case (and it happened many times). The fact that you manage to get some BPs can make things worse (of course I discuss the situation where we know that denial of boarding due to 1X no-show is highly probable).
kiwibirdft likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:25 am

ex-C3se routes are generally BF-heavy and not very FD-friendly.. unless ticketed by airlines from another continent.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Lots of C2-C1 stuff lately but what about some of us who like to spend time enjoy the wide variety of food on Gerrard St at the weekends and want to revisit their origins?

Whilst mentioned frequently on a popular airline's sub-forum here on FT, the adaptation of this technique is a muscle toner working on the foundations as opposed to a fat burner. One specific airport is the common theme to this. Requires a good understanding of how this airline and its fares work. 1x, 3x, 4x... more is not always better. In fact, this trick does not always benefit you and sometimes, keeping it simple is even better. Only useful for those needing/very much wanting to make this trip as whilst the %-saving can be high, the end result is still fairly pricey.

(Not sure how much that's said here will help as I'm not too sure how to code this without giving away too much; happy to accept questions via PM providing you've tried somewhat + heading in the right direction)
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:53 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Enough! Let’s get back on track here.

For the newbies, please refer to the Wiki, particularly, “There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).”

For all, be mindful of FlyerTalk Rules, especially Rules 12 and 13, which you can find here: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules

Pat89339, Moderator
Mileage Run Forums
habaryu likes this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Mar 30, 2023 at 10:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.