Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:11 am

Think I just found a 3X for c3se-c2 rt ai 472usd..
Manage to trim 50% yq.
ITAable and OTAable..

Quite happy to have my first success, though the rate is kind of like promo fare of full service carriers.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:13 am

Found a “multiple airlines” option while looking for round trip from SE Asia to Europe. It’s a combination of Swiss Airline and Lufthansa. When checking their fare rule, both stated that they do not permit end-on-end construction. Does this mean this construction is non flyable? If not, why is ITA showing options that cannot be combined for flying?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Is there a trickit thread or forum that excluslvely deals with business class long-haul? Mostly all the tricks I use work on economy fares only which is unfortunate. Want to know if this exists for business class (any pointers to get started) or am i wasting my time.
business class is not that easy, but i have a hard time with a lot of these economy ones, but i just flew in biz for 5k miles for $320 one way, I have another book for next year $340 ow also.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:38 am

Interesting thread

Last edited by tommoro; Sep 8, 2022 at 3:41 am
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:02 am

Question: i saw a Biz P class fare UA/LX code share $2,500 rt C1 - C2 via a layover in C2 but with YQ $1,700. Do you think that is alot ? Is this a good candidate for FD ? Not done before, do you think it can be done ? DM if you have any beginners tips …idk i was thinking randomly trying for x3 ? Do i need to know which plane the bulk of the YQ is coming from and target that UA or LX accordingly?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:31 pm

Maybe I found something. Idk. I didn't do anything. You tell me

From the city named after the Father of his Country C1 to the islands of the descendant of Dionysus C2, you will be sipping on the nectar of the gods during a hot summer day. Be sure to seek the blessing from Athena, the goddess of battle strategy and wisdom so she will bless your journey home and enlighten you must not visit your Father but continue north to 51st.

Total price drop from $2,500 to $2,000
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Bleuprince16
Total price drop from $2,500 to $2,000
Double open jaw?

EDIT: I see you posted about this elsewhere now.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Double open jaw?

EDIT: I see you posted about this elsewhere now.
Yes ... so this considered a trick?
P/S: can go north or south beyond the wall
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Yes ... so this considered a trick?
I defer to the experts to decide if this is actually a trick. Higher base fare, but lower YR.
I don't think people consider flying inbound "north of 41" to be a trick anymore...
Bleuprince16 likes this.

Last edited by JALsnipe; Sep 8, 2022 at 7:58 pm
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
I defer to the experts to decide if this is actually a trick. Higher base fare, but lower YR.
I don't think people consider flying inbound "north of 41" to be a trick anymore...
In this case I would not consider it a trick. Extremely nice fare and you reduce a bit of fuel by increasing the base fare on the return.

I think what you are missing is a trick that gets it to $1,500ish (there may be some experts out there that may even suck $200 more out) and may get you to your origin aiport....

PS - I'm back
tessy143 and Bleuprince16 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:52 pm

C1-C2 / rt
in C €418.73
in Y €163.42
ita matrix :-( price a.i.

ota price in C:
$462.57 (not the cheapest strike but...)
ycc777 and Bleuprince16 like this.

Last edited by man4business; Sep 20, 2022 at 5:11 pm Reason: ota
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:07 pm

C3se - C3se
Those who want to hop from the lion's mouth to the muddy estuary up north, are better off extending to the hornbill's beak.
Flyinghobby likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
C3se - C3se
Those who want to hop from the lion's mouth to the muddy estuary up north, are better off extending to the hornbill's beak.
Hi all
New to this. I think i managed to guess the locations with the given clues, not 100% sure of the third location, i have several guesses.
My question is what next ? How do people proceed to find the fare ?

there is no information on which carrier
no fare class
no dates/periods
I dont even know if i will get back home or this is just a one way trip

based on the clues, its probably a very short distance, and fare wont cost alot to begin with.
how much can one dump if the fare is low to begin with. And the potential savings maybe $20 economy ? Is it worth the trouble for $20 ? We dont even know how big is the potential savings ?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
how much can one dump if the fare is low to begin with. And the potential savings maybe $20 economy ? Is it worth the trouble for $20 ? We dont even know how big is the potential savings ?
I don't think people would be spending hours, even days deciphering clues to save twenty bucks

Savings are in hundreds of dollars, many hundreds
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
C3se - C3se
some questions, if not breaking any rules
1. Is this a one way trip ?
2. how much is potential savings in USD?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.