Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver
Originally Posted by Gongoozler
To everyone who’s been messaging me for hints, my account is new so I can only reply to a limited number of messages each day. I am working on getting back to all of you.

[Below was deleted then re-added]

To clarify my previous post, the routing is flexible for this dump. Start in many big cities in C1 and fly to a single big city in C3. Multiple OJs are possible but not necessary. Prices differ based on your C1 location.

The 3X is not difficult to find if you have a solid list of airports in each region. (Remember that matrix will only give you a max of 50 airports when you use the nearby feature.)

With the cheapest routing, you can have yourself a $232 round-trip or $155 one-way (C1-C3) on a special OTA. Wide availability starting later this summer and into the winter. Good luck
Thanks, I got the meat, now need to dump the fat
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:04 am

Hi Folks,

Any Valid C2-C3 ? seems nothing is available at this moment.
unusualtravelblog likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
1. Routing errors
2. Codeshare confusion
karlot_96 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
found this while looking for the other C1-C3 fare and thought it might be useful for some: C1w to C3s port city OJ for $515 AI. nothing wasted.

one thing i do wish about this hobby is if folks were more willing to send past examples which are no longer working. would really help my learning process, especially for complex structures like side trips or OTA tricks. sometimes all you need is a friendly neighbor.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by chronicrelief
found this while looking for the other C1-C3 fare and thought it might be useful for some: C1w to C3s port city OJ for $515 AI. nothing wasted.

one thing i do wish about this hobby is if folks were more willing to send past examples which are no longer working. would really help my learning process, especially for complex structures like side trips or OTA tricks. sometimes all you need is a friendly neighbor.
This would indeed help a lot. I notice that when I practice and look up this very long thread for information, a lot info has been removed afterwards unfortunately.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by chronicrelief

The fare you are describing has an unsafe construction meaning the 3X comes shortly (in this case < one day) after the returning flight in order to consolidate certain taxes and fees. This can be risky if your returning flight gets delayed, canceled, or otherwise rerouted and your ticket gets canceled for missing your 3X. It's an interesting fare, but not very useful in my opinion.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
This would indeed help a lot. I notice that when I practice and look up this very long thread for information, a lot info has been removed afterwards unfortunately.
There are some examples of tricked tickets in blogs, which unfortunately led to the death of many tricks. That is why many on this thread are hesitant to share specific examples.

The reason tricks that no longer work aren't shown is that many tricks once pronounced dead resurface years later (e.g. 13-miler, right?), and publishing them would surely kill them for good.
PbodyPhoto and habaryu like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG
There are some examples of tricked tickets in blogs, which unfortunately led to the death of many tricks. That is why many on this thread are hesitant to share specific examples.

The reason tricks that no longer work aren't shown is that many tricks once pronounced dead resurface years later (e.g. 13-miler, right?), and publishing them would surely kill them for good.
Correct. In many instances a dead deal is merely sleeping or only one aspect gets "fixed"
A deal may seem to be deal but that 3x could still work or a different 3x may dump the base fare.
habaryu and Gongoozler like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
The fare you are describing has an unsafe construction meaning the 3X comes shortly (in this case < one day) after the returning flight in order to consolidate certain taxes and fees. This can be risky if your returning flight gets delayed, canceled, or otherwise rerouted and your ticket gets canceled for missing your 3X. It's an interesting fare, but not very useful in my opinion.
If it's booked as an open jaw any irrops should result in me keeping the same origin-dest pairs right? In any case I don't see why missing a 3X would be risky given that it's the end of the ticket.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:58 pm

I found a C1-C2 roundtrip fare this summer with $0.98 base...lots of fat.
I've been playing around trying to find a way to dump but without success so far. Any pointers?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by bcnfish
I found a C1-C2 roundtrip fare this summer with $0.98 base...lots of fat.
I've been playing around trying to find a way to dump but without success so far. Any pointers?
Curious what airline would that be...
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: QF; VA; AS
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Hint: Your userrname suggests you have a travel blog. Everyone knows travel bloggers love to post great deals for their audience. Based on that, and how easy it is to kill the trick, it's not surprising you're finding help is hard to find.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Scottyrocket
Hint: Your userrname suggests you have a travel blog. Everyone knows travel bloggers love to post great deals for their audience. Based on that, and how easy it is to kill the trick, it's not surprising you're finding help is hard to find.
I have a travel blog about unusual destinations, not about flight deals. Neither do I monitize any of my content. Sad to get judged from a username.
emilio911, habaryu and delpiero223 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by emilio911
Ya what could that possibly be 🏖️😵‍💫

Good news is the YQ he refers to can indeed be totally eliminated on largest US carrier.

In addition and separately, Yes 13 miler still works if you know how and where to apply.
Talk about reincarnation!!!

UnusualTravelblog is probably the most unfortunate name you could have used to sign up for Flyertalk in general and TrickIt in particular. Probably Nobody is going to give you benefit of doubt and consequently probably share nothing.

13 miler was probably one of the best examples.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 1, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by emilio911
A mix of northern and southern

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.