Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: UA AA 9W
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
It is often your type of postings that in the past has brought this thread to a complete standstill for sometimes weeks. Just reaching out hand without any track record of prior contributions is frowned upon. Asking question in code amplify the above sentiments.
Unfortunately, you are starting trip in the least desirable direction.

If you start in Florida you can go to India One Way and then several months later you can have a trip from India to Beer Capital of Germany for 173.44 € All-in. Most of the operating flights are Lufthansa.

I.e USA INDIA One Way AND INDIA - Germany One Way
173.44 € All-in

And Yes there is even a € 0.42 base fare USA India and € 0.42 Base fare India Germany bringing the final price down to 158.86 € All-in

Thanks. Sure. I will post and contribute more going forward. It may not be best but I will try...
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Well, if it autoprices in the GDS (Sabre, Amadeus, etc.) then the TA can't get a debt memo. That doesn't mean the airline won't try or say the TA did something to circumvent the pricing. It also doesn't mean the airline will allow that TA to continue to sell tickets in the future. They could easily tell the TA "pay the debt memo or we cut off your ability to sell our flights." I've seen that happen.
So, as you said, a good TA won't touch it.
Wrong.
Sabre guarentees that autopricing is 100% correct, Amadeus does NOT guarentee it for autopricing / MP.
So if a fare was filed incorrectly /there was a bug in the GDS/ ... and you've been charged an ADM, Sabre will cover it, AMA won't.

Either way, as a TA you are always liable for anything you sell.
If a pax is skipping a segment, the airline has the right to do a fare cal. of the actual flown segments, most of the airlines have that in their t&c.
However, in a few countries its illegal to charge extra for not taking a flight.
Lufthansa has lost a big case about this in Germany, in Italy and Austria its also forbidden, I'm pretty sure this would also follow under the "post price increase" rule from the DOT.
However, the airline doesn't care and will still send an ADM.
You can fight the ADM if you do NOT remove the skipped segment in the PNR and claim you did not intentionally add the segment to reduce the price. Most airlines won't have a problem with that as long as it doesn't happen too often and there is a pattern.

Re airlines blocking agencies for future sales: Yes, that happens quite often. You need to get a new OID then or go through a reseller, I'm still waiting for a TA to actually challenge this ban in court.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:20 am

there is even a € 0.42 base fare USA India and € 0.42 Base fare India Germany bringing the final price down to 158.86 € All-in
Very good find. I wonder if OJ is mentioned specifically to Germany because it has something to do with the fare construction, or if it's cheaper than a regular rt to US. There's 50 cents BF both ways US-IND and wonder why isn't that used.

The base fare can be relatively easily found, but the (safe) trick(s) is(are) hard nut to crack.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Wow, such an interesting thread, so many different tricks, it is incredible
I know what I will be reading the next while, lol

Last edited by RaingerRain; Oct 17, 2021 at 11:29 pm
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Tinder Plus
C2-C5c 125e rt or C2-C5 (tropical island) from 189e rt Nothing out of the ordinary
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, OZ Diamond
Purely academical question . Anybody tried dumping prem eco fares recently?
I see this been working but most often I dump with full J. Any way to force mixed eco-prem with eco resulting in dump ?
Hints on which rules to look for?

to cut questions on why would you dump PE, with little hellosweeter it's more comfy to travel in PE
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Russia to USA £ 153,33 Round Trip

Russia to USA £ 153,33 Round Trip.
Safe construction. Not Aeroflop. Bookable on well-known booking site.
Flyinghobby likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 6, 2021 at 1:50 pm
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:17 am

Russia to USA £ 153,33 Round Trip.
Safe construction. Not Aeroflop
Where in Russia? NSEW?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by littledoggie747
Where in Russia? NSEW?
The FT rules prohibit me from saying.
It is NOT Eastern Siberia to Western Alaska.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Fly British Airways Business Class from New York, Washington DC or Boston to London

512.66 £

Return from Europe to New York in economy ( included ) .

Routing trick.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 11, 2021 at 9:46 am
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold
512.66 £

Return from Europe to New York in economy ( included ) .

Routing trick.
Saddened link in the pound sign didn't offer a clue :-P
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by davem4
Saddened link in the pound sign didn't offer a clue :-P
Not a revenue ticket right? i.e. Region issue with redemption? (Hence the one way only in J)

Then a seperate cash ticket back?

Or is it revenue? If it is I'll keep looking.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Not a revenue ticket right? i.e. Region issue with redemption? (Hence the one way only in J)

Then a seperate cash ticket back?

Or is it revenue? If it is I'll keep looking.
It states a price, thus it is Round Trip revenue ticket.
C1-C2 in BIZ
C2-C1 in Econ
Can be bought in various currencies if preferred.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 10, 2021 at 6:39 pm Reason: Screenshot was posted for 5 minutes
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:15 pm

It states a price, thus it is Round Trip revenue ticket.
C1-C2 in BIZ
C2-C1 in Econ
Can be bought in various currencies if preferred.
Good to know!

If I work through airports in Europe, would it show in this tool?

I can see the outbound fair that matches the end price, but looks like YQ has to be removed somehow. AFAIK none of the Europe markets regulate YQ.

EDIT: I see return is to NYC.
Also the interesting bit of the J fare seems to be WS? So perhaps back to NYC via Canada?

Oh ... i see the other code on the Y fare ... choo choo?

Last edited by davem4; Nov 10, 2021 at 4:31 pm
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:52 pm

Oh ... i see the other code on the Y fare ... choo choo?
Hmm, only managed to get a price out of a few airports. Most route via AMS on skyteam return which doesnt seem to match with the outbound OW.

Also throwing out crazy fare rates for the return throwing booking class to full J for both.

For the train options, I assume we should select any central train station? Would that really play into it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.