Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

^any help on the 3x would be greatly appreciated for the newbs
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by reddevils4evr
Nice...been looking for a nice USA - India fare for a trip I need to make in April. Trying now to figure it out now.

Separately looks like the $623 fare for LAX-SIN is still available on some dates (I had posted on another thread). $100BF each way, $290 of fat

Ya I recently found IAH-SIN for $550 in december.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by dannytaki
Ya I recently found IAH-SIN for $550 in december.
Should be less than 1/2 of that in March on Star Alliance.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Come on Danny, 550 is all you got?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K, AA, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry

Last edited by HKQT; Feb 25, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by s2w0w
C1w - C2 $355

I can't seem to shake those high priced airport fees though.
Any clues on cities/carriers? PM me if you prefer. thanks
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:01 pm

the elusive 100% BA dump

Originally Posted by nwngeek212
Any better dumps available for BA/AA C1-C2 than 50%? So far I've been codesharing my transatlantic sectors onto BA even if I'm flying AA metal just to use the BA dump. Even a 50% AA dump would be helpful, but ideally a 100% dump on either carrier. C1-C2 fares on OW have been horrid lately...
I am stuck in the exact same spot. I am ready to pay the high BF if I can drop the fat, its more ego at this point than $$. Any luck getting over this hump? PM me if you prefer. Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Should be less than 1/2 of that in March on Star Alliance.
I thought that the base fares that allowed such great prices had gone.
Good prices still possible but not what was possible previously? Circa 440 US now
Or perhaps I have missed something.

Last edited by flylonghaul; Feb 24, 2015 at 6:02 pm Reason: added price for reference
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've just noticed that Google Flights (no trick) is quoting ORD-AUH for $266 from Mar 2 - 6. Unable to find a way to book at that price however. Any idea why it is showing the price so low, but unable to book?

Last edited by trapped; Feb 24, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH KL DOMESTIC
FARES WITHIN FRANCE.
This part in particular is a difficult part of the latest round of KL/AF cheap base fares. Seems like they're getting smarter in their coding.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by trapped
I've just noticed that Google Flights (no trick) is quoting ORD-AUH for $266 from Mar 2 - 6. Unable to find a way to book at that price however. Any idea why it is showing the price so low, but unable to book?
Base fares VL2OR9US or OL2OR9US are the best I see for this route. Generous EoE rules. $120 BF, but ITA is showing as $140 BF with $575 YR.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Flexible Fare Rules

A major C1 Carrier have written their Fare Rules from the ForeverCity to Hawaii in such a form that there is possibility to fully dump a C2- Hawaii R/T or C2-Hawaii/Florida Open Jaw allowing Europeans a vacation in both Hawaii and Florida. HI-FL by Award Tix
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:47 am

Throw Away Ticket Help

I've found a FD. I've never purchased a throw away ticket so have some questions.

1)When I clear American customs in Toronto before I take off will I be questioned about not having a roundtrip ticket back to Toronto?
2)When is the boarding pass issued for the FD flight?
3)Can UA cancel my itinerary at any point on my trip?
4)What are some of the implications/risks of purchasing a throw away ticket?
5) Does it make a difference if I book with UA, through my credit card or with a travel agent?

Last edited by flytokali; Feb 25, 2015 at 8:32 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by nwa330
Come on Danny, 550 is all you got?
LOL!! Calling me out ;p. I was searching in December because that's when I thought I could use it then perhaps take a connecting flight to Sri Lanka, couldn't find that flight at the right price to make it worth it.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know what a FD is, but:

1. Probably not, but you will be asked how long you are staying and where you are staying. Where do you live? What nationality are you? What visa requirements do you have?
2. Since I don't know what FD is, I don't know, but you usually check in either at the airport and get your BP there, or online at home up to 24 hours before.
3. Yes, they can cancel flights for many reasons, including weather and mechanical issues. What is the real question you are asking?
4. None really. If you buy a round trip ticket and use only the outbound, nothing will happen.
5. Not really. If you are slightly paranoid about UA coming after you for a (more expensive) repriced one-way fare and charging your credit card, go through a TA, but this will never happen.

Welcome to FT!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.