Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by chronicrelief
Stupid questions are how people learn. I'm not trying to explore Peru - just had a general question about ITA and pulled up a random fare. I wasn't sure if ITA wasn't properly showing the YQ, or if there was legitimately no YQ at all.

I appreciate your response and hope that in general, experienced fuel dumpers will be more willing to answer such "stupid" questions. It's not like I'm asking for a particular 3X, so there should be no harm or risk in answering my question.

Some similarly stupid questions I have:
- Does "safe construction" refer to an itinerary that is completely flyable because the strike is a close open jaw to the main set of flights, or that the fare is a self-dump and no open jaw is required at all?
- Matrix ITA is relatively slow compared to some other OTAs/search engines. Aside from the ability to read fare rules, there's no reason why I *have* to use ITA to try out potential strikes right?
Nowadays it's not worthwhile to spend time understanding how to dump a fare. Years ago the fuel dump game was completely different but thanks to forums/blogs almost everything is gone (i.e. fare rules changed). Who will tell you that I'm wrong and will try to show you "attractive" price is just a liar. I'm not saying that there aren't dumps but it's not worthwhile anymore to spend months/years to understand everything because in the end you will be just disappointed.

It would be worthwhile to study the fare rules. So you will be ready in case of mistake fare and you will try to maximize them. An example could be the recent EK first class Mistake PEN-SIN, because if you understand quickly that the fare basis code was PEN-SIN RT you could simply construct twice the route via DXB.
Expertflyer and ITA are your friends in these cases. You could ask yourself why you couldn't route the EK f mistake via other Asia cities and obviously the answer is in the fare rules.
Sometimes a mistake fare could be on the main airline stock and then you could think that to have an extra protection and fly under the radar you could issue the ticket on another stock (if fare rules allow it).
If you have the chance to open CC with big bonus I would spend also a lot of time to understand better the award system.

Your aim should be to travel. Are you sure that it is worthwhile to understand the definition of "safe construction"? The guy who invented this terminology is the same guy who firstly told that it's "safe" to skip 1x (posting for months low prices) and then regretted the words after a lot of IDB stories.

So my suggestion is to learn the fare rules and the best place is OUTSIDE of this thread because on this thread you are just wasting your time hoping to understand the "fuel dump"
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Thanks to some OTA help/magic from WWE, just landed my first fuel dump! Truly an amazing feeling. I get the sense I'm going to have a lot more Matrix ITA tabs open on a regular basis now
deovrat, zroland and eruighaskl like this.

Last edited by chronicrelief; Feb 11, 2020 at 2:54 pm Reason: remove continents
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
TPAC One Way and TATL One Way combinations

123.06 £ All-in

No 1X, No 3X, No 1X/4X, No 2.5X Nothing wasted.

Thailand and Laos can be added for very little.

Reverse Everything above and the price is approximately the same.

NZ can be added as final destination for 89.15 £ more.
bodory, lfrider and BCNforever like this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 19, 2020 at 5:52 pm Reason: TMI before
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:46 am
Suspended

168.30 £ All-in No Waste

From Airport in East Central C1 to Southeast Asian Capital

with

a no additional cost vacation (stop-over) in Europe and a no additional cost vacation (Stop-over) in famous Thai Beach resort.

168.30£. All-in One-Way

No 1X , No 2X, No 3X No 1X/4X, No 2.5X, No waste.

There are 2 In-Region changes of airports but otherwise entire itinerary is "In-Line" .

For a few
£ more you can insert segment on Smooth As Silk.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 22, 2020 at 10:59 am Reason: "Hotel" reference deleted
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:55 pm

Starting in C3E, from the capital city:
- you can fly to C5 west for 238€ RT AI
- or try the riviera in C2W for 288€ RT AI

Same airline, different route:
- leave the big apple and come to this same C2W city, then leave the country from the capital city for 285€ RT AI
- leave C2N for C3E, 200€ RT AI

All flights are non-direct.
CX_newbie and chronicrelief like this.

Last edited by eruighaskl; Feb 22, 2020 at 2:09 pm Reason: new fare
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:43 pm
Suspended

C1-C1.5 via C2 £ 174.60 All-in No Waste

New York to Europe - 1 weeks stop-over - Europe to C1.5 £ 174.60 All-in.

Now £ 141,05 after Yesterday's price cut.

Now 129,58 £
Now also works from George Bush Airport.
chronicrelief likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Mar 5, 2020 at 5:33 pm Reason: 2nd Update New Price
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:19 pm

I've got a handful of candidate fares on a variety of carriers where fat is at least 60% of total price.
What's the best way to look for strikes? On itamatrix as well or via an OTA?

edit: pop the champagne, I just found my first ever fare! Saved a grand total of $29 on a fare of $1,060 but at least I have proof of concept under the belt! Probably won't book this one
chronicrelief and eruighaskl like this.

Last edited by CX_newbie; Feb 28, 2020 at 5:28 am
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
New York to Europe - 1 weeks stop-over - Europe to C1.5 £ 174.60 All-in.
On the way from Europe to Pacific, for only £ 3,50 more an overnight stay in Caribbean Island can be added. Lots of extra hours on plane though. In the old days the extra mileage might have been worth it but revenue based earning makes it less attractive unless swimming/snorkeling in Caribbean for 1 day is worth the extra hours on plane.

1st segment can even be on a LATAM codesshare followed by 4 additional codeshare flights.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 29, 2020 at 1:26 pm
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by CX_newbie
I've got a handful of candidate fares on a variety of carriers where fat is at least 60% of total price.
What's the best way to look for strikes? On itamatrix as well or via an OTA?

edit: pop the champagne, I just found my first ever fare! Saved a grand total of $29 on a fare of $1,060 but at least I have proof of concept under the belt! Probably won't book this one
More experienced members might have a more opinion than me, but so far it seems like Matrix Ita is easier to search with due to the ability to have multiple origins/destinations/dates and see fare rules, but the tradeoff is that some tricks are not ITAable and even if you find a dump on ITA you still have to figure out how to ticket it.
CX_newbie likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
recommended OTA

I have found several ITA-able dumps that I cannot price on Priceline. What are the recommended OTAs these days? If it matters, it's a 1X dump on a BA fare.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:29 pm

It's confusing as well as interesting at the same time! I never had to pay C1->C3 for business class with Citi Holy-grail. After shutdown, stumbled upon this. Read few blogs. Started reading the posts from 2018 Jan. Looks like it going to be marathon rather than sprint! Let's see.

Last edited by medimonk; Mar 9, 2020 at 8:11 pm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:19 pm

with

a no additional cost vacation (stop-over) in Europe and a no additional cost vacation (Stop-over) in famous Thai Beach resort.

168.30£. All-in One-Way

There are 2 In-Region changes of airports but otherwise entire itinerary is "In-Line" .

For a few
If you insert a segment on Smooth as Silk, is there now only 1 in-region change of airport? Perhaps Smooth as Silk departs from the Thai beach resort?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

with

168.30£. All-in One-Way

For a few
Do you have the example date please?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chronicrelief
If you insert a segment on Smooth as Silk, is there now only 1 in-region change of airport? Perhaps Smooth as Silk departs from the Thai beach resort?
It does, but it does not give dump because OTA treats it like a thru fare

There are still 2 airport airport changes. On 2nd airport change - best you take boat and bus via PhiPhi.

Key to this is making breaks at the right places and the right time

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Mar 6, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: *A
A 3x itin I have is likely to be canceled by the airline. If the first two legs are rebooked to a different date, but not the 3x, will the YQ automatically be applied?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.