Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 2, 19, 10:41 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Pat89339
Wiki Link
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 20, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Keter View Post
I just found a GF memo to agents prohibiting addition of 'offline' segments in order to decrease fuel surcharges. Dated April 2019. Instead f fixing the logic like others they feed the examples to agents but then warn of possible ADMs too The memo is Russian but you can use web translation
Interesting article and what a stupid airline. Wonder how can airline or any one else say that I don't plan to fly the x factor, that's 3 months after my main itin, (for example).
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Keter View Post
I just found a GF memo to agents prohibiting addition of 'offline' segments in order to decrease fuel surcharges. Dated April 2019. Instead f fixing the logic like others they feed the examples to agents but then warn of possible ADMs too The memo is Russian but you can use web translation to read it.

https://helpdesk.avia-centr.ru/help-...perevozchikov/

Added - some further info in English

https://aviacenter.ru/en/news/2019/0...line-segments/
You'll find similar paragraphs in the ticketing policies of each earlines guidebook.
They do not offen mention 3x specifically but all state that the fare will be recalculated based on the flown segments.

Thats why you should never book a tricked itin in your own GDS / airlines website otherwise the airline can come after you, always best to book via OTA.
Here is a review of LH sueing a passenger who booked on the lufthansa website directly and skipping the final segment (FRA-ARN), they sued the passenger for the fare difference but lost. If the pax had booked with an OTA and not directly with the airline, LH wouldnt have been able to sue him.
https://www.franz.de/kanzlei/news/sa...ber-lufthansa/
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: Tinder Plus
c2-c5 (coastal city) - £181 rt
Old Jan 8, 20, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer View Post
some oldies but goddies reappearing from 2012- 2015
The Aloha hop?
Porsche?

Just checked back here after being gone for years.
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Looking for some help from somebody more experienced with this than I am. Have spent quite a bit of time reading this thread in its entirety and bits of the thread on IF (MP) and believe I understand the basics, just having some trouble constructing a successful 3x. Relatively new to FT and haven't contributed so far, but trying to become competent so I can help out this community in the longterm. Also, no attachment to AL industry whatsoever - just a college student trying to score some cheap flights and maybe get status in 2020.

Anyways, here's what I'm trying to dump. OW fare (nonstop) from PHL to CMN. Fat of $400, or around 43% of the total. Found it on ITA matrix (believe I'm fairly competent with using it at this point, but probably have lots more to learn). Based on my knowledge from this thread and some other resources, I believe it's dumpable. Just can't figure out a good 3x. Been looking in C1.5 and C2 mostly.

Also - let me know if I'm saying too much here. My understanding is that questions shouldn't be coded, but I'm happy to edit this if need be. Feel free to PM me if you're willing to help. TIA.

Last edited by Nick Jacobson; Jan 14, 20 at 11:45 am Reason: newbie mistake
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:51 pm

Hey,

I can't offer any help, but suggest you edit out the flight numbers. As soon as you post that, the airline will search for your fare and pull it.

Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 20, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Sorry about that. Done!
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Nick Jacobson View Post
Looking for some help from somebody more experienced with this than I am. Have spent quite a bit of time reading this thread in its entirety and bits of the thread on IF (MP) and believe I understand the basics, just having some trouble constructing a successful 3x. Relatively new to FT and haven't contributed so far, but trying to become competent so I can help out this community in the longterm. Also, no attachment to AL industry whatsoever - just a college student trying to score some cheap flights and maybe get status in 2020.

Anyways, here's what I'm trying to dump. OW fare from the Liberty Bell to a north African city with the same name as a famous 1942 Hollywood drama/romance. Fat of $400, or around 43% of the total. Found it on ITA matrix (believe I'm fairly competent with using it at this point, but probably have lots more to learn). Based on my knowledge from this thread and some other resources, I believe it's dumpable. Just can't figure out a good 3x. Been looking in C1.5 and C2 mostly.

Also - let me know if I'm saying too much here. My understanding is that questions shouldn't be coded, but I'm happy to edit this if need be. Feel free to PM me if you're willing to help. TIA.
Better to not code the question, though you need not very specifically mention flight number. Luckily I read the question before you coded them, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted time trying to figure out your coded question. Anyways, you mention that you are proficient/competent with Matrix. Are you?

The answer lies in Matrix itself and on seeing details, it will tell you why you are unable to dump it. You aren't even checking the basics for a candidate fare.

Last edited by andydd; Jan 14, 20 at 4:06 pm
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
EoE is the key for this one. cant give it a diet unfortunately.
Old Jan 19, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: Miles & More
C2-c3 202.95 gbp AI, RT...
unfortunately, booking class makes the strike expensive.. maybe somebody finds better

Last edited by KarvinskaSila; Jan 22, 20 at 1:24 pm Reason: better price
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:25 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by KarvinskaSila View Post
C2-c3 222.13 gbp

Thanks for the post ... but can we get a little coaching / tips for some?
Old Jan 21, 20, 9:23 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by davem4 View Post
img
Thanks for the post ... but can we get a little coaching / tips for some?
Well, you seem to be a long time FT member and I guess you know how this game works.. Maybe it is better to try and search for the deal instead of posting dumb memes.. I would give out some hint if it was necessary, but this one is rather easy and safe ;-)
Now let's please stop this pleasant spam about ways and means and return to the game
Silberpanda likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM
  • If I read these fare rules correctly, there is no strike correct? The bf is <$10 C1-sub-continent

END-ON-END
EXCEPT AS PROVIDED ABOVE END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT
PERMITTED WITH FARES BETWEEN BRAZIL AND THE UNITED
STATES OR CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES. VALIDATE ALL
FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH FARES WITHIN AREA
1. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER B6
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO ISRAEL
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER EK

Last edited by greycap7; Jan 23, 20 at 9:09 am Reason: formatting
Old Jan 24, 20, 6:23 am

Is AI dump fixed?

Looks like AI closed the holes. Can someone confirm if it is still dumpable? Any other hints/directions for getting to Sub continent?
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:43 am

Found C2-C5 low BF and searching for a 3X. Has anyone been successful finding a 3X with TK? I've been searching for the 3X within C5, C1.5 and C1 within the alliance and I've managed to keep the fare pretty static but not reduce it!

Search this Thread