Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by kchanbeki
someone here who had done the same in the past and should be able to share some experience.
I did and so did others .. I am not going go publicly into details, but there have been some hiccups (both minor and major), Hence my above mentioned words and emphasis on the word MAYBE...
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by man4business
Well, the point is that they see the whole itinerary. They do not see the status (all legs are "Confirmed" even if skipped).

This is not entirely true. In their system, they have "OPEN FOR USE, CHECKED-IN, SUSPENDED, LIFT/BOARDED, USED/FLOWN, EXCHANGED, VOID". They provide an easy way to see exactly what the up-to-date status of the ticket (not the reservation) is. When you check the status of the ticket for this particular strike which is under a different ticket #, they will either not show any status, or it will say "AIRP CTRL/##" (## is the carrier code). If they are to do something to your ticket due to not flying the strike, you will see the status updated to SUSPENDED or VOID. If your ticket status remains OPEN before the departure of the main flights, you should be good to go. The person checking you in is only going to care what the ticket status is for the flights you're checking in. He/she could care less what flights you flew previously in the same reservation. My point is, as long as the back office or their computer don't proactively void or suspend your ticket, you should have no issues, and either way you will know before heading to the airport by checking the status online. If you have any experience to share, feel free to share in public or PM.

Last edited by kchanbeki; Jun 29, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:00 pm

This is not entirely true. In their system, ......
It is admirable that you prepared and studied all of this before buying, but what you are describing here is THEORY. Yes, in theory you are right. But what man4 and me are saying is, that reality is sometimes different and of one of these realities is denied boarding (and I am talking about this specific scenario)
There have been past experiences where certain airlines were more hostile and others extremely hostile to FD, that doesn't mean they were 100% un-flyable, but risk was involved and it was best you had a plan B (or refundable hotels ), this is also the case...
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:02 pm

OPEN FOR USE"
Yes, technically you are absolutely right. And some desk agents are, unluckily, trained to pay attention to this part which makes the trick. The rest is very similar to what had been happening earlier in the case of LX. We will see in the next months how it will develop...
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:53 pm

Yes, technically you are absolutely right. And some desk agents are, unluckily, trained to pay attention to this part which makes the trick. The rest is very similar to what had been happening earlier in the case of LX. We will see in the next months how it will develop...
I had good experience with the latter mentioned airline although there were a lot of alleged denials (fare rules make it impossible for the moment though)

not sure what the airline above is, appreciate any clues although havent tried to find yet
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by matio_svk
It is admirable that you prepared and studied all of this before buying, but what you are describing here is THEORY. Yes, in theory you are right. But what man4 and me are saying is, that reality is sometimes different and of one of these realities is denied boarding (and I am talking about this specific scenario)
There have been past experiences where certain airlines were more hostile and others extremely hostile to FD, that doesn't mean they were 100% un-flyable, but risk was involved and it was best you had a plan B (or refundable hotels ), this is also the case...
It's hard to believe they train desk agents specifically to look for FD, and I highly doubt many even know what FD is and the relation between 1x and fuel surcharges. If they can figure it out, they might as well close the entire trick. Plus their ground agents in C2c are all contracted and don't work for the airline. They only work for them a few hours on days there are flights. Nothing here about denied boarding and troubles makes sense in this scenario, especially with this airline. Most will just do their job and check you in, as long as you have the required travel documents. And the gate agents have much better things to do than to look for FDs. Those who got denied boarding must have raised suspicions and required secondary inspection from a supervisor in one way or another. There are lots of low fare, error fare, etc, and it is not the ground agent's job to inspect the fare you paid.

LX was a different story. They apparently had a programmer in the back office who wrote a script to look for tickets without fuel surcharge and flag them when check-in opens. But again, it was not like some physical agent at the airport had the ability to sift out the FDs among all the people checking in that day. They were just following orders from the back office, or honestly they could have cared less if it was not for the order from upper management.

Until I start hearing the full story of anyone who ran into trouble with this particular C2c-C3 FD, there is still no credible risk to it. It's just as risky as the hundreds of other FDs completed by members here without any problems. In fact, the probability is so low, that you are more likely to run into many other unforeseen problems with the trip than worrying about denied boarding or getting the "special treatment" from the airline.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:24 am

look nobody is trying to scare or persuade you different.. it was just a warning, what happened to some poeple lately, and I am not saying you shouldn't try, ... Despite all this I will be flying the airline myself in a couple of months again
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:51 pm

C2-C3-C2

Hello
thanks for this good forum. I have been dealing with this topic for some time and have also found some 1X by the hints here. Only one 3X not yet, but I keep trying. I found a good flight with very low BF and high YQ: C2-C3-C2 with EK. Since the posts are older when it comes to ek, my question is if it's even possible to get an 3X on ek? Thanks for the help and best regards.
If this post is not wanted, I'm sorry.
I do not want a solution from you, but only to know if it is possible and if I should search further.
Here arE the rules:

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
-PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER EK/FZ COMBINATIONS ARE FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO ISRAEL
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN AREA 3
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN AFRICA
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN MIDDLE EAST
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN AREA 1

Last edited by Mario92; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:31 pm
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: cine

I flew several 1x of LX and I have not had any problem. For example C2-C3 100€. Unfortunately, does not work anymore. I think.
Mario92 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Very Very Rusty Looking For Nippon to C1/Land of the Brave

I am severely rusty, as its been close to 10 years since Ive actually done a FD /3X. Trying to get back in the game but its a bit overwhelming.

Im currently looking for something in BZness class from the latest G20 city to C1. Having difficulty finding anything originating anywhere in the Land of the Riding Sun or the home of Bulgogi to anywhere celebrating July 4.

Might anyone point me in a general direction where to look / how to think about this? I would be very, very grateful.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Exactly, many of the oldest tricks back from 2007-2012 still work. Many people still remember the nomenclature Northern Neighbor , --- miler,
San Martin Trail etc Just the applicability is different , even the SV inshaallah ​​​​​Trick works
How about a few more clues on "applicability"......let the rest of us in on the hobby again.
Vliegertje and Sisyphus1carus like this.

Last edited by airboss; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:37 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:24 pm

C1-c5 253 rt

C1-C5 253 RT
OJ, easy to find, ITAble
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mario92
Hello
thanks for this good forum. I have been dealing with this topic for some time and have also found some 1X by the hints here. Only one 3X not yet, but I keep trying. I found a good flight with very low BF and high YQ: C2-C3-C2 with EK. Since the posts are older when it comes to ek, my question is if it's even possible to get an 3X on ek? Thanks for the help and best regards.
If this post is not wanted, I'm sorry.
I do not want a solution from you, but only to know if it is possible and if I should search further.
Here arE the rules:

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
-PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER EK/FZ COMBINATIONS ARE FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO ISRAEL
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN AREA 3
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN AFRICA
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN MIDDLE EAST
OR FOR ANY CARRIER FROM/TO DEPARTURE FROM JOURNEY ORIGIN IN AREA 1
It's my understanding that for *any* of this to work, end-on-end combinations must be permitted.

Last edited by zloneill; Jul 6, 2019 at 1:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:43 am

Hi, there is a nice CA tarif BUD-SIN, but i am unable to find suitable flyable 1x within c2. few years ago there were tons of working 3x's, but now they don't work anymore. i would be very grateful if somebody could hint me.. thanks a lot!
sesq likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by Euro404
C1-C5 253 RT
OJ, easy to find, ITAble
*A? (or that's too much of a giveaway?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.