Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
[QUOTE=kchanbeki;29959785]It definitely is an in-line dump. Fare must start in USA and end in Canada, or full YQ applies.

Do you really think UA intends to file these sub $100 base fares without YQ?

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Your discovery is indeed quite nice, but it is not an IN-LINE X in the traditional sense of the concept.
If it was , it would be a "1.5X IN-Line" dump. It is really a double open jaw DOJ and there are other factors at work. Another Asian carrier had similar structure at work before. You may want to delete or it will be on blogs very quickly.
I think I remember this one ( HGH or similar from back in 2014 - 15 ) but did not keep a screenshot , so I can not be sure.
If it is indeed YOUR discovery - I congratulate you.
Originally Posted by Silberpanda
According to a guy from your mentioned thread the tix were on 016 UA stock.
definitively no InlineX

YES, a very good idea from WWE for All 4 of us to delete this before the blogs get it.

Last edited by airboss; Jul 10, 2018 at 11:21 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Best of luck looking at blogs. Will never be found there.
Actually it WAS on blog and this is why it is little bit more difficult to price.
I always suggest that when a blog post a dump, to work on it to understand the logic and how eventually the fare rules change after the fix.

This airline NEVER fixed his YQ logic on c1-c2 RT routes and on c2-c1 RT routes. The airlines changed the fare rules but not how they calculated YQ.

two additional hints for you:
1) Almost all the people was able to dump this airline with 3x in Area 3 (probably it was one of the most common/overuse strike in the past years).*
2) you don't need any deeplink

about inline,upline,dowline,crazyline,online,FDline..... Who created these terms is a crazy noob and mislead people as well.

*it doesn't mean that the strike is in Area 3 but you should understand quickly what is the main carrier

Last edited by jorun; Jul 11, 2018 at 3:59 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by kchanbeki
Anyone who wants to learn about in-line Xs should take a look at the 'UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai' thread on USA-China when UA+CX/KA are combined.
Anyone who wants to NOT learn in-line Xs should take a look [...] <---------- this sentence is correct.

ExpertFlyer's Fare Information Search tool will tell you all the possible routings of a particular fare between city pairs.
Interesting, I didn't know that expertflyer is able to show you all the possible routings of a particular fare between city pairs. How did you find it?

If there is an in-line X, most of the time it will appear in the list of possible routings.
This is not completely correct. There are other things to keep in mind when you are searching this dump type.

The hard-to-find in-line Xs are usually only found on OTAs or ITA when you force the connecting airports.
Other in-line Xs are due to OTA glitches on certain ticket stocks. They are very hard to find and require deep-linking with precise input and a lot of luck.
Sure....they are so hard to find that blogs posted them for months LOL.

It definitely is an in-line dump. Fare must start in USA and end in Canada, or full YQ applies.

Do you really think UA intends to file these sub $100 base fares without YQ?

Take a look at fare basis GLXT5GM7, EWR-HGH in March 2019.

EWR-PEK-HGH/PEK-EWR-YYZ (All on UA flight numbers) - $350 YQ
EWR-HKG-HGH/PEK-EWR-YYZ (UA + KA) - $45.60 YQ

Same fare basis, different routing, and going via HKG is almost $300 cheaper.
Yes, I saw it and you don't know what you are talking about.

Just to make a little recap:
I agree only about this "Do you really think UA intends to file these sub $100 base fares without YQ?"
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: M&M, IHG
Yes, I saw it and you don't know what you are talking about.

Just to make a little recap:
I agree only about this "Do you really think UA intends to file these sub $100 base fares without YQ?"[/QUOTE]

Come on Jorun,
be smart. Sometimes you have to accept dangerous superficial knowledge.
Not everything what was told was 100% correct. Not everything what was told was 100% wrong
karlot_96 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Silberpanda
Come on Jorun,
be smart. Sometimes you have to accept dangerous superficial knowledge.
Not everything what was told was 100% correct. Not everything what was told was 100% wrong
This is why I did a multiquote so he can focus why he was completely out of the road. So basically he did two big mistake:
1) he didn't understand what is an in-line dump (for me this strike name mislead people)
2) he gave a dump on a silver plate to blogs wihtout understanding that when a dump will go on blogs airline will fix fare rules which can be worse for FDers but also for normal people who want normal ticket.

P.S. I received a pm about the experflyer quote about the ruoting. Just to be clear: it was ironic XD. In Italy we say "La scoperta dell'acqua calda".
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by andydd
It might be a good mental exercise in case you want to kill time but don't expect the price to fall.

Increase , yeah sure thing

Last edited by Markiemarkie; Jul 14, 2018 at 5:30 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Markiemarkie
Better find some 1x for XX, it's working well from 3 european cities
If I were at you place I would immediately remove the post. Why do you think this airline( & peers in the region) has introduced one of the very strict e2e clauses for almost all its route?..

With your post..now even these 3 cities (where they forgot to introduce a specific clause) are now vulnerable. It doesnt take long for an airline to fix the rules. Last time when blog reported an inline dump on this airline, it was fixed in hours! A route that was dumpable for years, died overnight. So dont expect that airlines will be shy to change the FR
l0rd, Silberpanda, klanfa and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:35 am

C2-C5 RT , ST , 164€ AI.
Old trick.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: M&M, *G, IHG Platinium Ambassador
Originally Posted by jorun
C2-C5 RT , ST , 164€ AI.
Old trick.
140€
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 14, 2018 at 6:18 am
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: M&M, *G, IHG Platinium Ambassador
Originally Posted by wntl
140€
C3 170€, C3e 250€
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:15 am

C2-C1-C6-C1-C2 537€ (stopover permitted)
easy FD for noobs
davem4 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So I found a couple candidate J fares that are partially self-dumping given the right conditions. I understand the specific circumstances under which this happens, but I'm having issues trying to book my preferred itinerary. They can be priced on ITA for most dates, but I've only found a couple of dates that are actually bookable through the carrier's booking engine. Naturally, the bookable dates are impossible for my schedule...

All the other dates I've found are bookable through one of the carrier's foreign websites, but the dump is eliminated in the process. Any suggestions how to handle this sort of thing? I'd rather not post any specifics here for obvious reasons, but I'd be happy to share what I've found by PM if anyone is willing to provide some guidance.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:50 am

do you encounter problems on Priceline link via PowerTool ?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by karlot_96
do you encounter problems on Priceline link via PowerTool ?
PL now often gives the 2$ bug. Probably because the combinations are not... that regular

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.