Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mbglo
Managed to dump CA 100% w/o a 1x. Unable to replicate with other BFs, however. Nothing too interesting as the BFs are high, but it is one I needed to fly. I am curious to know about the logic behind what caused the dump and will gladly share the itinerary with someone who thinks they either know, or can figure out, and explain the logic behind to me.
Originally Posted by MLang2
Any ideas why it worked?
Got a base fare of 60.-€ C2 to Australia on CA with significant YQ.
Check/compare fare rules.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by MLang2
Any ideas why it worked?
Got a base fare of 60.-€ C2 to Australia on CA with significant YQ.
I am only able to trim half of the fat on that one...
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Getting boring around here.

Avoid the costly positioning flights and over-night hotel stays in obscure Eastern Europe cities to get from C2-C3.

From Rich Country in Central Europe to Rich Country in SE Asia and return to Capital of a once mighty empire in Europe with 3X self dump 262,56€ according to ITA.

Tried a couple of OTAs and Portals but they price a bit higher. Other non-self dump 3Xs possible too

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 14, 2018 at 6:04 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
...and return to Capital of a once mighty empire in Europe...
No skin in this one - I just thought it this was funny. Going through my head I just kept counting "once mighty Empires" in Europe.

Portugal, Spain, France, England, Italy, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Greece, Turkey
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: M&M, *G, IHG Platinium Ambassador
Avoid the costly positioning flights and over-night hotel stays in obscure Eastern Europe cities to get from C2-C3.

From Rich Country in Central Europe to Rich Country in SE Asia and return to Capital of a once mighty empire in Europe with 3X self dump 262,56€ according to ITA.

Tried a couple of OTAs and Portals but they price a bit higher. Other non-self dump 3Xs possible too
Other alliance - 250€ with 3x. No ITA friendly

Last edited by wntl; Feb 15, 2018 at 2:11 pm Reason: more info
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

C2-C3

Same rich city in Asia can be reached from different European airport for 106.68 € All-in R/T. Again, Not using far away obscure C2(e) airports

AND YES I know it can be booked for 98.60 € but your ticket will be auto-cancelled immediately prior to departure due to sequence check. Not a happy situation.
Argenboy and karlot_96 like this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 16, 2018 at 6:59 am Reason: Better price
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Tinder Plus
Same rich city in Asia can be reached from different European airport for 106.68 € All-in R/T. Again, Not using far away obscure C2(e) airports

AND YES I know it can be booked for 98.60 € but your ticket will be auto-cancelled immediately prior to departure due to sequence check. Not a happy situation.
91€ to be exact, but rather wealthy cities on both ends. Your ticket will be auto-cancelled? Where did that come from? Are you referring to the OTA that has been used many times without any problems or perhaps there is a new player rather exotic?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Old Tricks never die - They just fade away - and reappear.

but please do not tell anyone.
Entire itinerary includes Trans-NorthAtlantic travel and Stop-overs on 5 continents ( including fractional Continents ).
Sub 250.00 €. Sub 300.00 € for longer flyable last leg.
Waited about 3 weeks for someone to post but nobody did.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 19, 2018 at 5:04 am Reason: TMI
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:00 pm

Gotcha! We had this auto-cancellation problem 1.5 year ago to a different city in C3.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bartas8891
91€ to be exact, but rather wealthy cities on both ends. Your ticket will be auto-cancelled? Where did that come from? Are you referring to the OTA that has been used many times without any problems or perhaps there is a new player rather exotic?
Buy it.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:35 pm

C2-C3 , London Bus , $479 - Priceline
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:53 am

Decent fare, found it thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: M&M, *G, IHG Platinium Ambassador

$300,75 on priceline. 205€ on different OTA
DSG1000 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by wntl
$300,75 on priceline. 205€ on different OTA
keep going i am listening
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
I'm looking at cheap TP fares in J from OSL/CPH to EWR/BOS/MIA.

YQ is about 30% of fare and end-on-end are permitted so I wonder if a FD is possible?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.