Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:02 pm

c1(se) - c2.5 $351

Could probably get it lower from NE, but haven't tried.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
LY/AA TLV - JFK - TLV with 1 week stop-over in European Capital

€ 488 ,01 . Bookable on .IT and .NL OTAs.

No 1X
Hi everyone
I try to ask
I'll remove if inappropriate

I found VCE/YTO AUGUST 2018 2 ADT 2 CHD (5y/o 3 y/o ) 1.831 EUR

Can i Know ONLY if there is the possibility to find a strike on this route (departing only form VCE arrive only YTO or YMQ)

Really thanks to all

Gaetano
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by grizzo75
Hi everyone
I try to ask
I'll remove if inappropriate

I found VCE/YTO AUGUST 2018 2 ADT 2 CHD (5y/o 3 y/o ) 1.831 EUR

Can i Know ONLY if there is the possibility to find a strike on this route (departing only form VCE arrive only YTO or YMQ)

Really thanks to all

Gaetano
I do not see why you reference my posting as it relates to USA JFK as destination and TLV as origin. Canada is often very different from USa and TLV often very different than continental Europe. August 2018 is almost 1 year away. Posting aggregate price for Family of 4 without reference to carrier or amount of base fare makes no sense. Nobody is going to spend time trying to decode. Do you have any idea of what this thread is about ?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:40 am

I do not see why you reference my posting as it relates to USA JFK as destination and TLV as origin. Canada is often very different from USa and TLV often very different than continental Europe. August 2018 is almost 1 year away. Posting aggregate price for Family of 4 without reference to carrier or amount of base fare makes no sense. Nobody is going to spend time trying to decode. Do you have any idea of what this thread is about ?

Hi WingedWorldExplorer
Really Sorry...i'm mortified
I'm new on the forum, and was my 2nd post ..so sorry..
I ask for your patience and hope you understand..

The reference are: (Hope you ask for that)

(VCE) to (YTZ) — Sat, Aug 4
(YYZ) to (VCE) — Tue, Aug 21
AIR CANADA

Fare 1 €94.50
Fare 2 €79.50
Idem for 2 children (94.50 €/79.50€)

AC YQ surcharge (YQ) €244.00 x 4 (976€)

Forgive me

Gaetano
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by grizzo75
Hi WingedWorldExplorer
Really Sorry...i'm mortified
I'm new on the forum, and was my 2nd post ..so sorry..
I ask for your patience and hope you understand..

The reference are: (Hope you ask for that)

(VCE) to (YTZ) — Sat, Aug 4
(YYZ) to (VCE) — Tue, Aug 21
AIR CANADA

Fare 1 €94.50
Fare 2 €79.50
Idem for 2 children (94.50 €/79.50€)

AC YQ surcharge (YQ) €244.00 x 4 (976€)

Forgive me

Gaetano
No problem. We have all been beginners at various things at some time. Ciao.
aktchi and grizzo75 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:39 am

No problem. We have all been beginners at various things at some time. Ciao.
Really thanks WingedWorldExplorer

Hope sameone can help me, to know if there is the possibilty to find a strike on that route I have posted.

Thanks
Gaetano
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
LY/AA TLV - JFK - TLV with 1 week stop-over in European Capital

€ 488 ,01 . Bookable on .IT and .NL OTAs.

No 1X
Or you can get this for just under $250 - with no need to Euro stop; also not 1x. And you can fly non-stop.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Timidocvl
Or you can get this for just under $250 - with no need to Euro stop; also not 1x. And you can fly non-stop.
How is this possible? None of the non-stop airlines even have BF's that can handle a AI of under $250...
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:39 pm
Suspended

That is great - congratulations.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nat25
How is this possible? None of the non-stop airlines even have BF's that can handle a AI of under $250...
You are thinking too linearly. Like in Harry Potter if you think about platform 9, you won't go a bit further to find platform 9 3/4.
andydd likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:17 am

Lightbulb

You are thinking too linearly. Like in Harry Potter if you think about platform 9, you won't go a bit further to find platform 9 3/4.
I had the exact same thought that one doesn't need to restrict the destination to JFK and it could be via. But then what about the return flight?
Assuming the route is TLV-JFK-xx/yy-JFK-TLV

yy may be null or similar to xx or completely different city. However, wouldn't the segment xx must be also flown, in order to leave the return segment intact (& not No show)? Of course, if the xx segment is skippable, probably on some other airline; then it's a different ball game all together

Last edited by andydd; Oct 3, 2017 at 7:18 am Reason: punctuations
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ccuser11
This post is meant to give credit to fd contributors and also share my learning curve experience for noobs, wanting to get in to this hobby.

There are many contributors but I want to give shout out to jorun, RangeXT, FrankTalk, giggy, BryanIAH, janetdoe, man4business, Mr. Bean and last but not least, WWE. I and many other have greatly benefited from your knowledge in picking this new hobby. Thank you for your posts throughout the years. Some of em are now on sabbatical leave from this tread, but please note, your past contribution are not forgone.

Thank you.

Few bullet point for new comers, form slightly old new comers
Do not ask for strikes - if you just want low airfare, you will not get help, might get flamed. It is hobby, Sr. member are willing to help you if ask intelligent question that reflects that your research and thread rules
Read this thread from beginning but ... intelligently. This is very long post, a lot of it will not make sense to you, most of tricks no longer work, but if you follow users I called out earlier, you will improve your FD101 very quickly.
It will help if you are good with programming, I downloaded this whole thread, made note of “coded tricks”, search for any past reference and context around it to have some understanding. Make sure to google the coded keyword that can provide additional understanding. Hint: do word count by post and look for the longest posts. Those are the most helpfuls ones.
Invest time in understanding fare rules (available thru ITA). Once you have good understanding, you can then get creative.
• Search, search and search. My first 3 fd came thru while I was following specific lead from thread, I never got replicated that specific trick but instead found other ones.
Utilize tools if you can but you get by without. My stack involves ITA, expert flyers, farefreaks, my own compiled db with open source flight and airport database, and script to lookup OTAs.
Most of my bullets have been mentioned previously... I am simply reiterating for new comers like me.

Here is 3x my contribution (found it this morning)
Fly from trump tower to famous city in Province of Varese via largest city in the Maghreb. BF is $3.00
You can ITA it with 3x to/from C3ne to dump 100%. You can negotiate for $195.xx including my 3x (can you lower it with cheaper 3x? let me know)

Happy hunting!

Thanks for your finding... you cannot imaging how happy can a newbie be replicating one of your findings, although i am not even close to fly it. Wishing to learn more.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:07 am

The deal which I posted weeks ago is finally dead. Some people got it while other people just wasted time to find it.
Rest in peace. Other deal will pop up.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL ✈️
c2-c1-c4s $500ish ai

not as cheap as i want lol

btw, do you guys have a way of finding stopover-enabled fares?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

After yesterday's base fare and fare conditions update for winter / spring 2017/2018 , a number of old(er) opportunities have resurfaced, even at unheard of all-in prices. Re-check your deals from 1 year ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.