Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:57 am

c2a-c3a-c2a-c3a/b-c2a: <420€
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
I did that one in April. Remember the TWO free European stop-over cities.
couod you explain why TWO FREE european stop-over cities?
a quick search finds me that free stopovers are possible with TAP, Finnair, Icelandair, KLM, Turkish....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by alexdergrosse
a quick search finds me that free stopovers are possible with TAP, Finnair, Icelandair, KLM, Turkish....
i dont think you're searching in the right place with the right parameters.

it's in the fare details the two free european cities.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA
I'm trying to trick an AC flight, but have run into an interesting problem (at least for me). A trick removes all $434 of YQ, but the BFs increase from $113.50 each way to $267.50 and the combinability rules change. The interesting part is that the booking class and the flights stay exactly the same. It's as if the booking class changed, but ITA doesn't recognize it.

Has anyone ever encountered this, and is there a way to bring the BFs back down?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by maxiet
I'm trying to trick an AC flight, but have run into an interesting problem (at least for me). A trick removes all $434 of YQ, but the BFs increase from $113.50 each way to $267.50 and the combinability rules change. The interesting part is that the booking class and the flights stay exactly the same. It's as if the booking class changed, but ITA doesn't recognize it.

Has anyone ever encountered this, and is there a way to bring the BFs back down?
That has happened to me a couple times, sometimes I've fixed it with a different trick.
Make sure to read the combinability of the fare and try in OTAs anyway
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by tomasdev
i dont think you're searching in the right place with the right parameters.

it's in the fare details the two free european cities.
So you mean, e.g. the airline is stating "two free stopovers permitted in X and in Y", such as CGD and AMS for KL and AF?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:24 pm

Check surcharges sections, probably they were added to BF. Smth like this:
AND - A FUEL SURCHARGE OF USD 60.00 PER COUPON WILL BE
ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR ANY SECTOR WITHIN
MIDDLE EAST.

Also probably combination rules state that the most restrictive conditions apply when combining fares, so rules are overwritten without booking class change. I might be wrong about that completely.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by tomasdev
That has happened to me a couple times, sometimes I've fixed it with a different trick.
Make sure to read the combinability of the fare and try in OTAs anyway
I don't see any surcharges or anything in the fare rules, and I can't get it to price at the lower BF on any OTAs (at least not on any from the Powertools script). Where in the fare rules would a clause like this appear?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Do you know that a booking code like "O" can have different rules right? for example, a BF "O" like OXXSDNZ is $200 but there is another "O" like OZZCDNJ that cost $400, both are "O" (lowest base fare on many airlines) but the rules for each one can be different.

You may found a strike that is compatible with a higher BF but it doesn't meant is compatible with the lowest one. Compare both fares and see what's different.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
Do you know that a booking code like "O" can have different rules right? for example, a BF "O" like OXXSDNZ is $200 but there is another "O" like OZZCDNJ that cost $400, both are "O" (lowest base fare on many airlines) but the rules for each one can be different.

You may found a strike that is compatible with a higher BF but it doesn't meant is compatible with the lowest one. Compare both fares and see what's different.
Ah, you were right, but I found a different strike that works with the lower base fare, albeit more expensive. Thanks ^
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by maxiet
Ah, you were right, but I found a different strike that works with the lower base fare, albeit more expensive. Thanks ^
Yes. Particularly with AC who will file fares in the same discount classes between city pairs depending on sale window.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by alexdergrosse
Actually three were possible but fare rules do not explicitly state that. Also, for some reason the correct low price does not show if you insert NYC as origination. The two first segments must be precisely input.

LH FRA and LX ZRH and SN BRU but you will need to transport yourself by plane, bus or train between them. I did ZRH-BRU for 9 euros.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 28, 2017 at 2:46 am
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: "
C2-C3c 212€

C2-C3c only with main course = 234€
211€ possible.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by de.de
C2-C3c only with main course = 234€
211€ possible.
So if you only need the main course is it a self dump, finger trouble, OTA cock-up or a genuinely deliberate low fare ?!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:12 am

Looking for a good dump from paris in November

any good dumps from paris?

Looking for something to anywhere in November

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.