Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Brooks Beta Runner
Originally Posted by solomessina86
is it dumpable? Ita or only Ota?
It certainly is possible, though this airline is not easily fooled.

ITA is a nice research tool, but try not to get hung up on it. The days when ITA could be used to brute force a thousand dumps are as dead as Ghandi.

:-:
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by solomessina86
is it dumpable? Ita or only Ota?
Try for yourself and see.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Mrpinkca
It certainly is possible, though this airline is not easily fooled.

ITA is a nice research tool, but try not to get hung up on it. The days when ITA could be used to brute force a thousand dumps are as dead as Ghandi.

:-:
I agree. ITA seems inconsistent at times. It wasn't like that before from what I recall, but in the past few months I have found the output not as comprehensive nor as reliable.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:49 pm

Human contact on a tricked itinerary (again)

I know everyone advises that one should not (ever) check luggage on a tricked itinerary so as to avoid human contact as much as possible. I get it. It makes sense. Frankly, it would be sound advice to avoid human contact on any itinerary, tricked or not.

I have read on this forum about cases where flyers did have human contact and all went well. What I am curious about are cases where people have actually run into trouble with that, as a result of checking luggage, missing flights, missing connections, manual seat change requests, etc. I have read thousands of posts by now (I admit I haven't read all 3000+ pages), but I cannot recall reading about any actual issues. I know what could theoretically happen, but I am interested to hear about actual events during your tricked travels, or others' you know about.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by FLA77
I know everyone advises that one should not (ever) check luggage on a tricked itinerary so as to avoid human contact as much as possible. I get it. It makes sense. Frankly, it would be sound advice to avoid human contact on any itinerary, tricked or not.

I have read on this forum about cases where flyers did have human contact and all went well. What I am curious about are cases where people have actually run into trouble with that, as a result of checking luggage, missing flights, missing connections, manual seat change requests, etc. I have read thousands of posts by now (I admit I haven't read all 3000+ pages), but I cannot recall reading about any actual issues. I know what could theoretically happen, but I am interested to hear about actual events during your tricked travels, or others' you know about.
I did read from page 1 to 2700-something. And I remember seeing problems. I remember one that ended up not taking the flight and losing the $100-$200 fare he/she paid, instead of paying the $1000 in "new price" they were asked at GATE.

Of course, it's YMMV. Feel free to try your luck, I would recommend against it, as they keep "fixing" the fat removers, and that's not good news for the rest of us.

I did check a bag on a tricked fare, and didn't need any kind of human interaction (bag drop in JFK sometimes is self-serve)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Brooks Beta Runner

I don't think it's too dangerous. I end up having to get my passport checked by the airline every time, and they usually print my ticket too. I've never had a problem with that. There may be a greater danger if your bag gets lost. Then you might get a closer look, and end up in some trouble.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
There seems to be only 1 date left in 2017 for the New York - Europe OneWay $ 99.00 All-in fare.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jun 6, 2017 at 4:29 am Reason: No trick so technically wrong thread for posting.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
There seems to be only 1 date left in 2017 for the New York - Europe OneWay $ 99.00 All-in fare.
Are you talking about the DY 737 fares? There's plenty of availability at their various destinations.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Are you talking about the DY 737 fares? There's plenty of availability at their various destinations.
Why would WWE post a non tricked fare Not the point of this thread, though some have done so.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

Flew a "trick" fare a few years ago and due to a delay, missed my connection. Despite the ticket looking very suspect, they still rerouted me on a partner airline which needed considerable human interaction.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
I know everyone advises that one should not (ever) check luggage on a tricked itinerary so as to avoid human contact as much as possible. I get it. It makes sense. Frankly, it would be sound advice to avoid human contact on any itinerary, tricked or not..........
I broke most of these rules during the last flight. We flew with a child, instead of three passengers who flew at the beginning, only two continued. Checked out the luggage, using the status reserved twice upgrade, one approved, the other not. No problem. But knowing the risk and finally worrying that I might have overtaken it. When the supervisor came into business just tightly before take off and was physically looking for a child (canceled with the check-in agent before), the champagne began to be bitter ...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I think we should distinguish between the risk that your one trip will be disrupted and the greater risk to you as well as the ff community that after focusing on your ticket, the carrier will discover the trick you used, and block it from future use.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:29 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by aktchi
I think we should distinguish between the risk that your one trip will be disrupted and the greater risk to you as well as the ff community that after focusing on your ticket, the carrier will discover the trick you used, and block it from future use.
This. It is pretty selfish to think that just because you want to check a bag and managed to get away with it that there couldn't be a wider impact.

The rules here have been figured out by many people through much experience and it really can and does impact all of us when some are cavalier.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by aktchi
Originally Posted by C W
This. It is pretty selfish to think that just because you want to check a bag and managed to get away with it that there couldn't be a wider impact.

The rules here have been figured out by many people through much experience and it really can and does impact all of us when some are cavalier.
These are both very good points and need to be heeded or we will have further loss of options for FD finds. Mucho Importente' ^
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hertz Gold
Very valid and important points. Don't be selfish.. or foolhardy. Like trying to upgrade using miles on tricked fares etc could lead to unnecessary scrutiny. On the other hand, simple interactions like checking a bag etc is generally not a problem especially if you fly from airports like I do in C5 where the check in agents are a handling company with poor education and an even poorer laissez faire attitude....so use common sense (although sometimes it feels not too common here).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.