Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: VA, QF, SQ
C1-C3 rt $629 ai

More for learning's sake than anything but it is very flyable:

"Negotiated a 370 lb diet from Golden Gate to The Bund RT 2-10Oct $629 ai. Don't forget to come down under for 915.72 km of xxx action."

Can anyone get the trip lower? I'd appreciate a pointer or two from some of the pros!

(I know this isn't a huge deal, but as someone just getting into it tricking it, I found it really helpful to see something in action - it brings together the thousands of pages and the many hours of experimentation. Maybe this will help someone pop their first too.)

Big shout out to the long time posters - I've just spent about 3 weeks learning - and it's the same names that pop up... Thanks guys and girls. It genuinely makes a difference.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by grey24
More for learning's sake than anything but it is very flyable:

Can anyone get the trip lower? I'd appreciate a pointer or two from some of the pros!
Cmon, $483 ai, full dump, 3x, on my first search, big e
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by 15cats
I'm pretty new to this too, but I found it for $483 in less than five minutes. Great lead, thanks for sharing!

Edit: I actually found my first solid dump using the same xxx. Apr10-17 C1-C3 $304. from the land of movies to hold pandas

Last edited by Adh88; Feb 9, 2017 at 11:36 am Reason: Found new information
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:51 am

actual CA

Have nothing to do in the 2nd half of Feb./1st half of Mar., so playing with actual CA BUD-HKG promo fare but am only able to put down 20-30 lbs (50% of fat but huge 3x BF) with intrapanda 3x. Even the former OJ selfies do not work. Anyone can do better than 346 euros? Or if there was something else for this time to C3/4, would be glad for updates/hints. Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: QF, BA
Quite new and this and struggling to find anything that sheds weight - maybe I'm missing something?

C2-C5 fare conditions look workable. BA is the weight. Have tried various 1x and 3x from various EI airports but not having much luck. Any pointers for a newbie?

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER BA/IB/EI IN ANY RULE IN
ANY TARIFF.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: pandas
C1e-C3

Lots of low fares!

Last edited by Silvermirage; Feb 10, 2017 at 12:00 pm Reason: deleted
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by man4business
C2w-C5s 126 euro rt ai
The one with the 0€ BF?
Or something else?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA, SAS
Originally Posted by Euro404
The one with the 0€ BF?
Or something else?
Yup, that one. If you relax to around 150EUR, your date options widen up quite a bit.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: VA, QF, SQ
C1-C3 rt $469 ai

Originally Posted by 15cats
15cats/Adh88,

Thanks for looking into it.

$483 in one hit is good, obviously way ahead of me.

I'm onto a $469 ai, 3x, but that's with a sushi stop C1-C3 each way on *A.

Is your $483 ai non-stop? Or should I keep practicing?!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by grey24
15cats/Adh88,

Thanks for looking into it.

$483 in one hit is good, obviously way ahead of me.

I'm onto a $469 ai, 3x, but that's with a sushi stop C1-C3 each way on *A.

Is your $483 ai non-stop? Or should I keep practicing?!
So, uh, I'm not well-versed in this whole trickery thing, but if you just search for a SFO-PVG RT in Google Flights for these dates you get the $483 fare. Feel free to tell me what I'm missing...
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: QF, BA
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
So, uh, I'm not well-versed in this whole trickery thing, but if you just search for a SFO-PVG RT in Google Flights for these dates you get the $483 fare. Feel free to tell me what I'm missing...
You're not missing anything. In fact, you have an extra stop and it's under your nose.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
So, uh, I'm not well-versed in this whole trickery thing....Feel free to tell me what I'm missing...
That's not how this works, and nobody said this was the best fare available nor the optimal dates for this construction @:-)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by man4business
C2w-C5s 126 euro rt ai
with x1 or x3 ?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:52 am

del del
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adh88
I'm pretty new to this too, but I found it for $483 in less than five minutes. Great lead, thanks for sharing!

Edit: I actually found my first solid dump using the same xxx. Apr10-17 C1-C3 $304. from the land of movies to hold pandas
Does anyone know if there are still tricks I can use evip? The old openjaw tricks seem to be completely killed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.