Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club Executive, Toys R Us Kid Lifetime Status
Originally Posted by Deltahater
$399
I'm going to start working on trying to find this C1-C5 now. Wish me luck!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by ImAWanderer
I'm going to start working on trying to find this C1-C5 now. Wish me luck!
Good Luck
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:41 pm

FINALLY!

Thank you to everyone who has posted words of encouragement to long time lurkers like myself. After reading through thousands of pages on here and searching hundreds of flights, I finally just got my first working 3x! c1-c5 star alliance.

Holy cow that is so much fun watching the YQ almost totally disappear.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:14 am

Last edited by Inxs74; Jul 29, 2015 at 3:05 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by Inxs74
Hi to all

just to exercise (and to understand better how to replicate....)

Found really good BF from C2 to C1w RT (€ 19,5 + 19,5) starting from week 34.
YQ is 260.

But i can't manage to reduce it with x factor.

Some hint for a noob?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
Inxs, you will find a note on about every third page of this thread: "don't code base fares". So once you have started reading, as is recommended on every fourth page of this thread, you will quickly start to understand why other members get gray hair from posts like yours, even though they have had a nice day so far.
As for me, of course I could go and look up your BF and the fare rules that go with, but I won't.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:43 am

OK, sorry for my post I removed the bad part.

I will be more carefull next time.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:03 am

OK, sorry for my post I removed the bad part.

I will be more carefull next time.
I'm afraid you still don't get the point. DON'T CODE QUESTIONS.

If you have a question, just share the specifics because nobody will put effort in finding the exact fare your are talking about in order to answer your question.

Like Wolf already told you, this consideration comes on every 4th page of this thread, which makes us wonder if you have even put effort in reading the thread and the wiki.

And make sure your fare is EoE +.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:04 am

Hi to all

just to exercise (and to understand better how to replicate....)

Found really good BF from C2 to C1w RT.

But i can't manage to reduce it with x factor.

Some hint for a noob?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
you can buy such flights currently for slightly over 200 euros anyway. No x involved.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:12 am

Removed all. Understood the lesson. Hope to have a second chance.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by lhwjud
C2-C1 (x2) £361
>24K miles
Main course(s) only
£283 can be achieved using DOJ
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:55 am

Removed all. Understood the lesson. Hope to have a second chance.
Honey, just tell us the route and carrier you are looking at and we will have a look what could be the potential problem.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold

Hahahaha. Hey dude the message is clear, we are all eager to help, just ask and don't code your questions. Nobody will spend time to decipher your question.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by oldmanhaines
Thank you to everyone who has posted words of encouragement to long time lurkers like myself. After reading through thousands of pages on here and searching hundreds of flights, I finally just got my first working 3x! c1-c5 star alliance.

Holy cow that is so much fun watching the YQ almost totally disappear.
Congratulations! What was your all in price?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:53 am

I finally got a successful dump, C6-C2s, saving about $300aud.

I just have some questions that hopefully someone can answer.
Can you dump UA? most flights from C6-C1 have a lot of fat.
Is it safe to have a 3X on the same airline as the RT flight?
I have also been able to dumb QR but it changes the base fare so there are no savings, Is it possible to dump QR but stay in the same fare?

I'm also wondering how you work out the route someone is talking about when they post it here?
for example this C1-C5 Star Alliance €313, there are 100s of possible airports in both areas, so how do you know which the fare is for?

Thanks for any replies
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Ben170292
I finally got a successful dump, C6-C2s, saving about $300aud.

I just have some questions that hopefully someone can answer.
Can you dump UA? most flights from C6-C1 have a lot of fat.
Is it safe to have a 3X on the same airline as the RT flight?
I have also been able to dumb QR but it changes the base fare so there are no savings, Is it possible to dump QR but stay in the same fare?

I'm also wondering how you work out the route someone is talking about when they post it here?
for example this C1-C5 Star Alliance €313, there are 100s of possible airports in both areas, so how do you know which the fare is for?

Thanks for any replies
Yes
mostly, with caution
Yes
You look for a candidate base fare. If the fare is $300, then you will have probably $80-100 in taxes. Then you have the cost of the strike, say $40-80. So you need to look for a base fare of $120-180. These are just general numbers to illustrate.
Expertflyer is a good tool to find base fares.
Or use ITA, don't worry about the all in price and drill down to see the actual basefare.
Also, with time you will learn from experience that certain cities are prone to better rates than others. For example, IAH-LON generally has better base fares than SAT-LON. BRU-LAX is better than CDG-PHX
Skyy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.