FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/930922-trick-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html)

tfc3rid Jan 10, 15 8:44 pm

I'm in the process of again reading this whole thread but I have found some fantastic low base fares.. Among them is a $511 a/i from NYC to ARN in February booked through DL. The Base fare comes in around $80 with $300 in YR.

Can the YR on Skyteam or DL specifically be dumped even partially? I've tried the 300 mi ITA across the planet and found no real 3X scenario.

brumbrum Jan 11, 15 2:29 am

Originally Posted by tonghua88 (Post 24140469)
I'm trying to do a "30 day challenge" with reading this thread. It sounds lame; I know, but it seems like the easiest way to digest the information.

I have a couple of questions related to digesting the thread itself. I skimmed it for several days, thinking, "I don't need to read this; I can totally skim and search for information and I'll understand everything!" Yeah, no. Rookie mistake. Yesterday I decided to try to read 100 pages a day, which honestly isn't that hard. Now I'm 120 pages in, and from what I understand, it's important to understand how how people learned to trim the fat (really, the evolution of FD) to fully understand the system. So even if things like the Harlem Shuffle and the Pineapple Poke are defunct, I can at least try to understand the systems they used to find them even if I can't practice finding those FDs myself. Is this an effective way to use this thread?

I actually found my first FD yesterday. I was ecstatic because I was so confused when I first tried to jump into this that I never thought I'd be able to. It wasn't worth buying, but I have a vague understanding of how it worked. (Vague in that I really can't replicate it, but I understand how it had the possibility of working through end-on-end permissions, open jaws, and codeshare agreements.) So yeah. Looks like I have a new hobby. Looking forward to reading and trial-and-error!

PP isnīt dead, itīs only a bit expensive (if you donīt plan to use it)

tonghua88 Jan 11, 15 8:47 am

Originally Posted by brumbrum (Post 24142723)
PP isnīt dead, itīs only a bit expensive (if you donīt plan to use it)

That's good to know. I just figured it was because it's so old. I'll probably never use it if it's expensive, but I think I'm going to try to get it to work so I can read through the fare rules and figure out why it works. Once I figure that out, I should be able to use that knowledge and apply it to more economical FDs, right?

Neil791 Jan 11, 15 8:51 am

Originally Posted by tonghua88 (Post 24143896)
That's good to know. I just figured it was because it's so old. I'll probably never use it if it's expensive, but I think I'm going to try to get it to work so I can read through the fare rules and figure out why it works. Once I figure that out, I should be able to use that knowledge and apply it to more economical FDs, right?

its important to keep in mind that when it worked at its highest, most effective point it was on a specific route which might not be the case now.

the nature of these 'zombies' which come back from the dead is such that they sometimes morph into a different form of effectiveness and price

tonghua88 Jan 11, 15 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Neil791 (Post 24143921)
its important to keep in mind that when it worked at its highest, most effective point it was on a specific route which might not be the case now.

the nature of these 'zombies' which come back from the dead is such that they sometimes morph into a different form of effectiveness and price

Got it. I'll try the 300 from multiple points ex C1 and see what comes of it.

busssie Jan 11, 15 10:12 am

hi I am newbie to all of this and I would be grateful if someone could pm me with what this whole thread is about in plain simple English, I have tried going back to the start of the thread and have read many pages but I honestly am totally lost. so could someone please pm me with a full and simple explanation of what it is all about thanks.

olouie Jan 11, 15 10:19 am

Originally Posted by busssie (Post 24144345)
hi I am newbie to all of this and I would be grateful if someone could pm me with what this whole thread is about in plain simple English, I have tried going back to the start of the thread and have read many pages but I honestly am totally lost. so could someone please pm me with a full and simple explanation of what it is all about thanks.

This thread is likely not for you then. It's mainly discussion of complicated ways of saving money by doing certain actions and finding deals.

336 Jan 11, 15 10:19 am

When reading these pages, make sure to read each page from top to bottom. You might notice an important section which is repeated on each page, and tailored especially for people such as you...

WolfvanWeen Jan 11, 15 10:22 am

Welcome to the thread, busssie. If you do a bit of the reading you will quickly realize that should indeed someone PM you to explain, you should praise your god and know, you are the ONE.

I don't want you to get no answer at all, that's why I answer here. [EDIT: I see others have commented as well. We are a friendly bunch, after all...]

If you're not prepared to invest weeks and months of learning time, better move on to other areas immediately, that's a better use of your resources.

tfc3rid Jan 11, 15 12:33 pm

Base fare $62 on AB, routing jfk-waw this winter... Been able to trim from $520 YQ down to $258 with help from a $4 3X

Same airline $15 BF jfk to cph this winter... Same YQ reduction with same 3X brings to $440 a/i

anandrag Jan 11, 15 12:58 pm

That's a very big ask!

elpueblo Jan 11, 15 2:02 pm

Question to Pros

Pros, this one-month old baby newbie would like to know how much you can go low for the case below.

“Non-alliance” airline mentioned here last week. JFK to CMB using both free stopovers. One stopover in C2 on the way to CMB; the other on the way back home. Staying one week in each place.

Using that airline, with two reservations for around 450 EUR more or less, I can do a lot of things; visiting C2, C2.5, C3, C5 plus very useful two one-way tickets in my case. However, with two stopovers, I have 302 USD YQ left.

I don’t have much time to play with this but it will be a good practice set to newbies like me.

Pros, can you let us know what numbers you have?

PHLightPhanatic Jan 11, 15 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by tfc3rid (Post 24145136)
Base fare $62 on AB, routing jfk-waw this winter... Been able to trim from $520 YQ down to $258 with help from a $4 3X

Same airline $15 BF jfk to cph this winter... Same YQ reduction with same 3X brings to $440 a/i

a $4 3X? Is this a typo?

I could trim JFK-WAW on AB from $700 down to $550 with a C2 X3, but I think that price is just OK and not the gem you have found.

tfc3rid Jan 11, 15 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by PHLightPhanatic (Post 24145769)
a $4 3X? Is this a typo?

I could trim JFK-WAW on AB from $700 down to $550 with a C2 X3, but I think that price is just OK and not the gem you have found.

Yes, a $4 3X... Think outside the alliances. I get $488 on that NYC-WAW with the 3X.

tfc3rid Jan 11, 15 3:02 pm

A general question and thought...

I'm working thee a bit to see what I can do and I've had some reasonable success to this point. However, the most I've been able to drop off the YQ load is 50%. Never anything above that. At this point, is this as good as can be done or is getting between 50% and 75% with a 3X still possible?

Also, in playing around with this, I was wondering if it is possible to increase the YQ reduction through extra legs in a cumulative fashion?