Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

A side benefit of a MR - Meeting FTers enroute

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold

This has been a particularly good MR year. The fares are great, especially the AA DUB runs. The FRA runs have been good as well. One thing that makes a a MR especially great is seeing FTers that I've met on MRs before and meeting new ones. We all come from different places, different backgrounds and have different agendas; but, we all have something in common to discuss and share. It is great fun.

Last year I finished my EXP early and felt a letdown that I had no further need to MR. That's partly what drove me to finish AADER. The same awaits this year. Hoping for another AADER type promotion. (I try to finish early...kind of a suspenders and belt approach to qualifying.)

I want to thank JDiver for initially getting me involved in the FT community and to thank all the FTers for making the process easy and fun. Look forward to more MRs and more meetings and chats. Safe flights and safe home all.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Pat,

It was nice meeting you in DUB this weekend.

I agree.

I'm enjoying reading the posts by those I've met because not only do I have a face to a name/post but context has totally changed.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: LH FTL..BA Blue..Hilton Gold
Im yet to meet any fellow FTers on my Mileage Runs. Will be great to have a chat to a few like minded folks over a beer or two though when i eventually do. I will be keeping an eye out for the bright yellow luggage tags this weekend while im on a turnaround at MUC
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:32 pm

It would be a good idea to have Flyertalk luggage tags you can put on your carry-on strap, which has your username on it and your primary board. That way if you're sitting in the lounge and the guy next to you sits down and you notice the tag, you can strict up a conversation.

I took my first Cruise last week, and I noticed people had signs up on their door saying they are members of Cruise Critic and to meet them in the Cruise lounge for a drink, and then it listed their Cruise critic screen name.
It seems like a good way to meet fellow flyertalk members.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by *ALLIANCE
I will be keeping an eye out for the bright yellow luggage tags this weekend while im on a turnaround at MUC
/noob: We've got special tags? I'd love to meet some FTers on flights, but I didn't know this was something that we should be keeping an eye out for..
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:28 pm
Suspended

From my many years touring the globe as the lead singer of a band, I met many a frequent flyer, and a lot of them were members of FT. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but most seem to have an unhealthy interest in RDM's and EQM's. The last thing I want now is to meet members of FT on my travels. Sorry.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:33 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Tunde Baiyewu
From my many years touring the globe as the lead singer of a band, I met many a frequent flyer, and a lot of them were members of FT. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but most seem to have an unhealthy interest in RDM's and EQM's. The last thing I want now is to meet members of FT on my travels. Sorry.
Um...welcome to FT, first of all.

But if the last thing you want is to meet FTers...why bother signing up for an account, and writing as your first post that you don't want to meet anyone?

And if you think FT's interest in EQMs and RDMs is unhealthy, what are you doing reading the Mileage Run Deals forum, which by any account would be the core of the mileage obsession "epidemic"?

Or...did you just post something so that people would say, "Ooh la la, someone who toured the globe for many years, was in a band, and was lead singer to boot! OMG!!"

Some people...

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Mar 11, 2009 at 4:39 pm
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The last thing I want now is to meet members of FT on my travels. Sorry.
I would suggest you not buy a FlyerTalk tag.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by tom911
I would suggest you not buy a FlyerTalk tag.
LOL, I 2nd that!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
It would be a good idea to have Flyertalk luggage tags you can put on your carry-on strap, which has your username on it and your primary board. That way if you're sitting in the lounge and the guy next to you sits down and you notice the tag, you can strict up a conversation.

I took my first Cruise last week, and I noticed people had signs up on their door saying they are members of Cruise Critic and to meet them in the Cruise lounge for a drink, and then it listed their Cruise critic screen name.
It seems like a good way to meet fellow flyertalk members.
What shocks me about the Cruise Critic folks is, people signup on the roll call for each cruise, but in my experience most have no interest in getting together with fellow cruise critters. What's the point of that? Thankfully someone from our last cruise actually took initiative in heading up the group and did coordinate with people to have a few meet ups, as well as coordinating with the ship to have cruise critic meets listed in the daily activities onboard newsletter.

Have met and/or traveled with other FTers on almost all of my MRs. Several times without either of us realizing it until after the fact. It's been lots of fun.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:12 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The last thing I want now is to meet members of FT on my travels. Sorry.

Oh, thank goodness. I was worried that you might want to say hello.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
/noob: We've got special tags? I'd love to meet some FTers on flights, but I didn't know this was something that we should be keeping an eye out for..
you can buy them here and also follow this thread....http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...d-threads.html and post your flight info here...http://www.flyertalk.com/flightconnect/ to "help increase the odds"
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, its not all about EQMs,

I'm not much of a MRunner, but I have learned a wealth of information from fellow FTers regarding all sorts of things; irreg ops, compensation, or simply the best way to get form gate to gate.

I dont even remember how I found this site, but I'm so glad I did.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriot, SPG, Hertz 5 Star
Couldn't agree more. It was great to meet puppysara, wrxmom, and the others in Dublin this past week. And the guys from Seattle in Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago.

Now the fiasco getting home from ORD....another story.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by southtahoe
Yeah, its not all about EQMs,

I'm not much of a MRunner, but I have learned a wealth of information from fellow FTers regarding all sorts of things; irreg ops, compensation, or simply the best way to get form gate to gate.

I dont even remember how I found this site, but I'm so glad I did.
Second that. I have never done an MR (and may never will)...however, I have learnt so much from FT and fellow FTers. Its a great place for information. HOwever, sadly, I have never met an FTer (yet) on any travel...I even keep asking random people on planes / hotels if they are on FT. One day...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.