Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]Travelocity.ca quotes LX YYZ-DEL base fare at ZERO.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE]Travelocity.ca quotes LX YYZ-DEL base fare at ZERO.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by adam_165
From many of the postings here it is clear that many of you are obviously travel savy enough to realise that a return business class ticket from Toronto to Delhi would never be zero rated.
You're entitled to your opinion and to run your business the way you have described. I can certainly understand what you have written. HOWEVER -- there is no way a consumer can tell whether a low price displayed on an airline web site is a mistake or not. We have an offer for services and acceptance. The deal is then done.

Have you seen tickets for sale for $1+tax? I've seen it quite often. Have a look at RyanAir, et al. LX even sells tickets for such seemingly absurd prices. I, a consumer, accepted the Swiss offer for travel. They have not contacted me to tell me that there was a problem. I have not ignored their calls. It's been over 24 hours. When I purchase something I expect my purchase to be valid. I have received email indicating what I need to bring to the airport. What, of that, tells me my purchase is not valid? How long do you think I am supposed to wait until I know my ticket is valid? Can they cancel me in a week because they think they made a mistake?

Last edited by Xyzzy; Dec 28, 2008 at 7:10 pm
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Our relative in Toronto told me that 30 of his friends/relatives/acquaintances had booked through the travelocity site, at this fare. They immediately called LX call centre, who generated etickets to most to all of them.
So everyone called LX immediately after booking?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:13 pm

I am a Canadian travel agent who happens to have had a similar experience with the zero base fares.
My clients have told me about this site which has probably been responsible for passing the word like wildfire.For the record I can tell you that this was a genuine error where there was a technical glitch with the filing of fares.
We contacted SWISS as soon as we noticed the error which you all must realise would be a huge loss for the airline.
Realising the glitch we advised all of our clients accordingly and cancelled tickets we had issued. After all for both travel agents as well as passengers there is a loyalty relationship with at least some of the airlines, SWISS is one of them. Yes they need our business but often we need them when we have a problem or a passenger needs to make a last minute change. SWISS has always been known to be most helpful in such situations.
Lets all be logical for a moment and think that this was our own business what we would do. From many of the postings here it is clear that many of you are obviously travel savy enough to realise that a return business class ticket from Toronto to Delhi would never be zero rated.
Are you not taking advantage then of what is an obvious error?
For those who already have tickets, look at the fare box of the ticket which shows zero. This really should rather trigger the need to call the airline or agency to check if this is even possible.
Some of you even indicate that the airline or agency has tried to contact you and you have not taken the call, or pretended to be running off somewhere. Really not an honest approach to things.
SWISS is not in a position to accept any of these zero rated tickets.
Many of you write about taking legal action but just think about it for a moment. Sure it is a mistake but the tickets show zero which is not going to stand up very well and it will certainly look very stupid thinking a business class fare could sell for nothing.
This is precisely why the Mileage Run forum should have restricted access! (Sorry for he OT)

Welcome to FT.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MBM3
In my opinion, an airline of this caliber with such a high reputation would handle this situation in a consumer friendly and efficient fashion. I trust that management in Switzerland will review this in the morning and react appropriately.
Appropriately meaning they should honour all tickets?

Come on, they are a business out to make money it's not that long ago Swiss went bust only to be resurrected to what it is today.
I have taken advantage of a couple of these glitch fares before,one was cancelled and one was honoured. When I booked them, I hoped rather than thought they should be honoured. I realised I didn't have a God given right to them........I knew they were mistake fares.
If I was a shareholder in one of the airlines I wouldn't have much faith in the management if they went about selling tickets in a premium cabin for $0 just to be seen to be "consumer friendly". No financial harm will come to the airline if they cancel the tickets.

You win some and you lose some. Move on, there will be another fare along the way no doubt.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:15 pm

Let's not forget those folks who, accordingly to earlier posts in this thread, booked flights to ZRH and several other cities in Europe from YYZ. Looks like a nice special doesnt it?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
No, I did not say that at all. But they should certainly not point fingers at their partners selling the tickets nor "threaten" customers will additional charges as noted earlier in this thread. Stuff happens, indeed, but other carriers certainly maintained dignity and respect when handling this type of situation.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=adam_165;10975223]I am a Canadian travel agent who happens to have had a similar experience with the zero base fares.
My clients have told me about this site which has probably been responsible for passing the word like wildfire.For the record I can tell you that this was a genuine error where there was a technical glitch with the filing of fares.
We contacted SWISS as soon as we noticed the error which you all must realise would be a huge loss for the airline.
Realising the glitch we advised all of our clients accordingly and cancelled tickets we had issued. After all for both travel agents as well as passengers there is a loyalty relationship with at least some of the airlines, SWISS is one of them. Yes they need our business but often we need them when we have a problem or a passenger needs to make a last minute change. SWISS has always been known to be most helpful in such situations.
Lets all be logical for a moment and think that this was our own business what we would do. [QUOTE]

Thank you for taking this into your hands and contacting the airline. This is DEFINITELY not the purpose of someone lurking on FT.

This is a good reason that FT should be restricted.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Absolutely, mistake or not.

LX released and offered the fare to the public. People booked flights and LX accepted payment at the terms they themselves offered.

It's not the fare, it's the principle. By your logic, it's then OK for LX to sell out a $3K J fare and then saying, whoops, we underestimated demand and we can now get $5K a seat... so let's cancel a few of the $3K seats and resell them for $5K?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No financial harm will come to the airline if they cancel the tickets.
No financial harm? You really think that?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Was your friend's credit card charged and did s/he have ticket numbers?
I sent him a PM asking to participate in this thread.

FYI: Swiss US Headquarters are in NY and you can very easy file a claim online at www.turbocourt.com. They will be served quiet fast with the papers and you recieve your estimated court date within a few days.

Swiss International Air Lines Ltd
25 Melville Park Road, Suite 200
Melville, NY 11747
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Realising the glitch we advised all of our clients accordingly and cancelled tickets we had issued. After all for both travel agents as well as passengers there is a loyalty relationship with at least some of the airlines, SWISS is one of them.
You are entitled to your opinion.

However, I can tell you that I would sue you / your company for cancelling my ticket without my prior authorization. You could share your loyalty relationship with Swiss at court then !

Enjoy.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I will send an email to the CEO (or someone with decision making authority at LX) about this. As I do not know the contact information of that person, I will ask the LX forum (with a link to this thread) with that information. Sending an email through the "contact" email of the LX web site is not what I call the most efficient way of getting action from LX.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by view
So everyone called LX immediately after booking?

Again,that is what my brother-in-law says. It is of course a hearsay statement.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFO777
It's not the fare, it's the principle.
What principle, yours or the airlines?

Principle works both ways. If they let you travel have a laugh and think they did me a favour. If they don't let you travel have a think and say well it was worth a go but it was a bit of a long shot and I have lost nothing.

I really do think some of you get too serious when things don't go the way you want with these fares.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:09 pm

What principle, yours or the airlines?

Principle works both ways. If they let you travel have a laugh and think they did me a favour. If they don't let you travel have a think and say well it was worth a go but it was a bit of a long shot and I have lost nothing.

I really do think some of you get too serious when things don't go the way you want with these fares.
So what do you think is an appropriate response from SWISS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.