Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas for 8K on UA/*A

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Ideas for 8K on UA/*A

After a trip to Hawaii in a couple of weeks, I'll be about 8K EQM short of regaining my UA-1P that I lost this year after almost a decade (I'm currrently 2P). This is too close to pass up, and I've come up with a couple of possibilities.

It's very boring, but I could spend a weekend making two round trips NYC-LAX for about $250 each in early December.

Or... I could go NYC-SFO-ORD-LAX-NYC for about $550, spending the night near O'Hare.

There are plenty of places in Europe that would yield 8K EQM either on UA ex-NYC via IAD, or on LH or SK from JFK or EWR. However the fares aren't very good, and all the surcharges and fees that are built-in are far worse than domestic travel.

Also just occurred to me there's always NYC-ORD-LHR, & rtn, but I haven't checked the prices.

Anybody have anything more interesting (&/or cheaper)?
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I know, I know, no one likes US, but here goes:

LGA-DCA-PHL-MAD-PHL-BOS-LGA on US 11/22-11/23 8135 BIS miles (not sure if the 500-min will be in effect on US flight), $522.20 all in.

Chris
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Chris, but you're right about not liking US. I think I prefer my West Coast / Chicago loop-de-loop, and I'll be sitting in UA E+, rather than US E-.

Now I'm working on condensing the itinerary to 4 consecutive flights, to avoid the the stay at O'Hare, since I'll probably be asleep most of each flight anyway.

RichG
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:10 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I know, I know, no one likes US, but here goes:

LGA-DCA-PHL-MAD-PHL-BOS-LGA on US 11/22-11/23 8135 BIS miles (not sure if the 500-min will be in effect on US flight), $522.20 all in.

Chris
With this you do get to visit the Envoy lounge in PHL though, arguably the best domestic club in the U.S. I've flown PHL-MAD on US before and it was rather nice. I did get exit rows, which I've had success of getting early with US before.

Chris
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

I wound up with LGA-ORD-HNL & return same way, over Dec. 6-7 for $466.40

Similar fares are available on various days in December, via all the standard UA routings, not all flights of course. This comes to 9952 miles; some of the other routings will get you a few miles more. 4.69 cpm... not too bad, without even leaving the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.