Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA MR (LAS-LAX-JFK-IAD-MIA-ORD-SFO-LAS): too ambitious?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-2P, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat

I'm short 7500miles from 1k and no future travels coming up. is this too crazy an itinerary for my 1st MR? all of that is done in 30hrs also. some short (<50min) layovers in MIA and ORD.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
if you can actually book it, go for it. 50 minutes of connection time isn't too bad, if you're lucky. just hustle from gate to gate and have a few re-route options in mind to get you home should one or more flighs be delayed or cancelled and/or you misconnect.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UCBeau
if you can actually book it, go for it. 50 minutes of connection time isn't too bad, if you're lucky. just hustle from gate to gate and have a few re-route options in mind to get you home should one or more flighs be delayed or cancelled and/or you misconnect.
i have already booked it ($400) but it is booked in 5 legs for 7 flights. if something where to happen, would they be able to rebook me to my final destination, not all of them?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
400$? ouch. 5.47 cents per mile is considered not a mileage run. then again if you get the status you need it all works out. FWIW, flying fish only puts that run at 7317 miles/eqm since UA eliminated the 500 mile minimum segment policy. it'll be repealed january 1st but you'd probably have to wait for a few weeks after that to see your status change go 1K.

anyways, if there's a misconnect somewhere then UA will try to route you back to LAS the most direct way possible. you can apply for the original routing credit though, which again may take some time.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UCBeau
400$? ouch. 5.47 cents per mile is considered not a mileage run. then again if you get the status you need it all works out. FWIW, flying fish only puts that run at 7317 miles/eqm since UA eliminated the 500 mile minimum segment policy. it'll be repealed january 1st but you'd probably have to wait for a few weeks after that to see your status change go 1K.

anyways, if there's a misconnect somewhere then UA will try to route you back to LAS the most direct way possible. you can apply for the original routing credit though, which again may take some time.
yea, not that cheap on a cpm basis, but i wanted to do it all this month in one shot and on weekdays only and within 2 days. international wasn't any cheaper.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
While $400 might sound expensive, my policy is if the price is doable and the MR gets the objective done, then it's worth it.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
If you get rerouted due to weather or mechanical, you might get booked into the Y fare bucket, giving you a 50% bonus for EQMs. So if that happens, you might be able to get enough miles even if you don't take all of the flights on your itinerary. There's always the possibility of calling and requesting mileage credit for your original itinerary although there are varying accounts of success using this approach.

A few years ago on my first MR, I made it to the east coast where I encountered a mechanical issue that jeopardized my getting home - the GA in PHL looked at my crazy itinerary (SMF-SFO-SAN-PHL-IAD-IAH-DEN-SFO-SMF) and sent me back home PHL-IAD-ORD-SMF in Y bucket, so I got home sooner with more EQMs.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
My last MR was DEN-PHX-LAX-MCO-IAD-PVD-PHL-LAX-PHX-DEN and I experienced a 3 hr mechanical delay in LAX that totally messed up my continuation to PVD.

I had the agent re-route me directly to IAD on the redeye and got to PVD about 16 hours late (another MX in IAD cancelled that flight too). Fortunately she booked me in Y so I got the extra EQS that I needed from missing the MCO connection.

Luckily I built in a full extra day on the turn just in case something like that happened so my return was not affected - otherwise I would have been in bad shape trying to catch up to my original itinerary.

7 segments isn't too ambitious but you had better be prepared just in case one of those connections doesn't go to plan. Also, Hotwire for cheap hotels is your friend.

BTW - I'm leaving tomorrow for DEN-PHX-LAX-DFW-CLT-PVD-PHL-SFO-DEN. Let's hope I don't have a repeat of the same problems.

Last edited by mrswirl; Nov 11, 2008 at 9:56 pm
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by fzwinter
If you get rerouted due to weather or mechanical, you might get booked into the Y fare bucket, giving you a 50% bonus for EQMs. So if that happens, you might be able to get enough miles even if you don't take all of the flights on your itinerary. There's always the possibility of calling and requesting mileage credit for your original itinerary although there are varying accounts of success using this approach.
The better approach is to have them put you on a different airline as a full Y fare and collect original routing credit + miles on airline #2 ffp
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
The better approach is to have them put you on a different airline as a full Y fare and collect original routing credit + miles on airline #2 ffp
Indeed
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Let's not get too greedy or anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.