Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] VA: LAX-SYD $484 all-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] VA: LAX-SYD $484 all-in

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Where would you stop over?

The flights are direct SYD-LAX. If you wanted to do BNE or MEL you would need to buy a return ticket from SYD to that destination.
That is not correct. There is also a BNE-LAX flight (though not daily). So it is technically possible to add a stopover though the VA's response has been that it would result in a re-calculation of the fare.
Old May 4, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by smackfu
Just got back from my flights. Pretty painless, although there are even now some cabin crew who are working their first flights, and have no idea about things like custom forms and such. You wonder what they get trained on? Seems like a lot of them came over from Pacific Blue.

Random notes:

I had a whole row to myself, coming and going, so that was pretty awesome. They were real sticklers on people moving seats until after the seatbelt sign went off, which caused some tensions and made for some mad dashes in the air.

They have "no electronic devices" signs, instead of "no smoking" signs, which was a clever touch.

The check-in area in LAX is pretty swanky. Mood lighting and monitors they can turn to let you pick seats. The gate area is nothing special in comparison, just generic / old. Check-in in Sydney is nothing special either, just using generic stations.

On the flight back, I had a Virgin Blue flight from Brisbane to Sydney and they were able to check the baggage through, which was nice. The transfer bus is pretty convenient too, though you need a little voucher that the Virgin Blue people will give you. It takes you from airside on domestic to the curb at the international terminal. The next best option would probably be the train, but that's $5 and probably only every half hour?

All in all, definitely far better than paying double for a ticket where I would have been crammed in on a nearly full flight.

(I also used the Virgin Blue Airpass inside the country, which worked out fantastic.)
Any pics??
Old May 4, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
That is not correct. There is also a BNE-LAX flight (though not daily). So it is technically possible to add a stopover though the VA's response has been that it would result in a re-calculation of the fare.
True - as per the conditions it would be $200AUD plus the fare difference.

As the fare is SYD-LAX I would also presume you can't change the routing, therefore much more economical to pay <$200AUD for a return flight to BNE or MEL form SYD.
Old May 5, 2009, 2:24 am

Programs: TK Elite, *A Gold, UA Gold, Priority Pass Select, Hertz PC, Marriott SLV
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Where would you stop over?

The flights are direct SYD-LAX. If you wanted to do BNE or MEL you would need to buy a return ticket from SYD to that destination.
Thanks for the information. I called over there and they said that had I called in for the original reservation I might have been able to do an LAX to MEL with stopover in SYD and/or BNE... but for this fare (way back in October) it would have been bad to call (in fact never call while a deal is in play)... Now I am deciding if it is worth the drive and/or a flight to spend 2-3 days in MEL over SYD.

Thanks again,

Brian

Last edited by bdkorn; May 5, 2009 at 2:33 am
Old May 14, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Cance//Credit help?

Curious if anyone has successfully tried to cancel these flights and get their money back or some sort of credit with Virgin Austrailia. I lost my job recently and while the ticket was cheap, I simply cannot afford 14 days of hotel/spending money for this trip. Do you think if I mentioned this ala the Jetblue policy I'd get some of my money back? Or am I screwed and pay the $300 cancel fee and get my measly 100 usd back....

Thx all.
Old May 14, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kdinino
Curious if anyone has successfully tried to cancel these flights and get their money back or some sort of credit with Virgin Austrailia. I lost my job recently and while the ticket was cheap, I simply cannot afford 14 days of hotel/spending money for this trip. Do you think if I mentioned this ala the Jetblue policy I'd get some of my money back? Or am I screwed and pay the $300 cancel fee and get my measly 100 usd back....

Thx all.
I got my money back after a schedule change erased a day from my trip (I was booked on the BNE-LAX n/s that was not operating yet in March).

Unless a schedule change happens, I doubt you will get a refund.

I would not suggest you call VA and tell them that you want your money back because you lost your job. Rather, I would work on ways of making the trip more economical. Check out hostel and camping options. I think it would be nice to utilize this period between jobs to explore OZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.