Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Too much discussion/banter/OT in active deal threads...what to do?

Too much discussion/banter/OT in active deal threads...what to do?

Old Jul 3, 08, 9:11 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by mpattdu View Post
What about an "Active Fare" designation similar to the "Fare Gone" after moving to the MRDiscussion forum? If something changes on the deal that warrants moving it back to MRDeals (e.g. a new destination or departure suddenly starts to work), then a Mod can move it back.
To be honest, there is no need to create a significant amount of extra work for us moderators by adding "Active Fare" or not.

As long as a fare is not declared as "Fare Gone", a deal is seen as being active.

Kind Regards

rcs85551
Moderator, Mileage Run

P.S.: I took the liberty to remove two posts regarding the LAN deal that had nothing to do with the subject of this thread... other than being symptomatic for the problems that have been described in this thread.
Old Jul 3, 08, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by tkelvin38 View Post
While FT has a lot of unscientific and inaccurate information, "calling and ruining it" is towards the top of the list. Agents do not have the time or inclination to pass on information or, if they do, it takes a significant amount of time to reach the right person. Do you really think blaming or calling names will stop people from calling or will it increase it?

Of course, this discussion ironically demonstrates the point of the original post.
That is an assumption that you make. While you throw that idea (which is equally baseless) out there, the experience has shown that mistake fares do get pulled when too much attention is given to it, particularly when an agent is told or tipped off.

Being that you are a new member, I think it would help you get a better idea if you read previous threads and see for yourself. As much as I hope you will take the time to do so, I doubt you will want to spend the time reading on these "deals" that are no longer beneficial to you.

I know of one specific mistake fare that was pulled specifically because someone called the airline and asked to book the fare via the agent, to which the agent promptly said no, reported it to the supervisor, and effectively got the fare pulled a few hours later. I know this information because I was informed of what had happened by someone close to the situation.

The LAN loophole, which has reportedly been around for 3 years or so, is now no longer there... perhaps the widespread use of it caused it, perhaps some person(s) called the airline to get it, who knows... bottom line is that this was in existence for such a long period of time has now been closed off, coincidentally shortly after it got posted. I will not debate the merits/demerits of postings in the MR forum; that is an entirely separate matter.

BTW, welcome to FT.
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:36 pm

delete

Last edited by justchris82; Jul 3, 08 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 8, 08, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Restrict access to MR Deals forum was one proposal initiated for debate in TB forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839290
Oh great. Fill it up with all those idiots with 15,000+ posts who have nothing to say other than ton hyperinflate their ego.
Old Jul 8, 08, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by upintheair44 View Post
Oh great. Fill it up with all those idiots with 15,000+ posts who have nothing to say other than ton hyperinflate their ego.
Welcome to FlyerTalk from someone with 15,000 posts. I'm looking forward to your contributing here.
Old Jul 8, 08, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk from someone with 15,000 posts. I'm looking forward to your contributing here.
Oh snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 8, 08, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by upintheair44 View Post
I don't know how someone can inflate his ego on an internet forum
Not a good contribution for your first post.
Old Aug 4, 08, 8:13 pm

why don't we make this thread similar to omni and cc? This way, the lurkers won't be able to see the 'deals' without substantial postings.
Old Aug 4, 08, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
You guys just don't get it.

No one is saying these fares should only be shared amongst certain FTers. All we are saying is that we need to evaluate the MANNER in which these fares are shared. That's all. If you can't see the difference, then keep on blindly congratulating the posting of these fares, but don't be too disappointed when they're gone by the time you go to use them.

There is a solution that keeps these fares alive and shares them with the FT community. That's what we should be discussing. Finding this solution.
Would it not be an option to ask to have the thread moved to Coupon Connection which has a minimum entry level that the airline lurkers are unlikely to reach?
Old Aug 4, 08, 10:40 pm

Or, we could just ignore all the histrionics and leave this thread solely for the discussion and sharing of good deal premium fares. What a novel idea? Eliminate all the blather and meta-talk. Just share fares.
Old Aug 4, 08, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF LTS, QF GOLD, Marriott LTG, Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Would it not be an option to ask to have the thread moved to Coupon Connection which has a minimum entry level that the airline lurkers are unlikely to reach?
That has indeed been asked & disucssed in length before. (In the mileage runs disucssion thread).... which can be found here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=premium

There was also a thread in Randy Only but I cant find that.
Old Aug 4, 08, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Or we could do something to actually protect the interests of the FT community, which includes future FTers, and not the airline lurkers.

There does seem to have been some discussion in that other thread about possible solutions, but the issue was dropped. It seems to be time to revisit it. Migrating this thread to OMNI seems like the easiest option. It would still be accessible to the FT community, while limiting its exposure to airline lurkers.

Last edited by justforfun; Aug 4, 08 at 11:21 pm
Old Aug 5, 08, 12:14 am

Being one of the junior FT's in comparison to some of the fellow well seasoned FT's, my humble request is to continue this thread. It's really beneficial to fellow FT's like myself who benefit from and share positive feedback on premium deals from FT's like Colin. I think this thread is great and I feel that we should disregard feedback from others that dont see value and are mostly complaining.

Again keep it going would be my humble request.

Cheers. ^
Old Aug 8, 08, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Nobody posted the CO: LAX-HNL $300 today?

Now apparently gone. Looks like it was a mistake fare. Now $554 with fuel surcharge. Was bookable w/o the fuel surcharge earlier.

Or did it circulate in the 'Too hot for posting' circle of friends?

Yes I know it's not amazing CPM but it's the best fare I've seen on this route in a while.

Last edited by rcs85551; Aug 9, 08 at 4:32 am Reason: moved from seperate thread

Search this Thread
Search Engine: