Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chris Elliott: "Elites ruining air travel"/Uses FT as example

Chris Elliott: "Elites ruining air travel"/Uses FT as example

Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:04 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
To cite as an example the behavior of a celebri-monster like "supermodel" Naomi Campbell as indicative of the "attitude" of elites... and then attempt to draw some strange link somehow to FT, is beyond ludicrous.

Perhaps back when Russel Crowe hurled that telephone in a fit of rage at the hotel clerk it was because he was told that--even as a Diamond HHonors member he wasn't going to have access to the Executive Lounge!! Damn you FT!!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:21 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
And what does this discussion have to do with mileage running?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:50 pm

Ruining air travel is purely subjective. For me infrequent flyers during weather delays ruin it for me. They think they are entitled to hotels, taxis, meal vouchers, etc. They are entitled to a courteous person handling their rebook, but aside from that it's out of their control. I don't control weather. Airlines don't control weather. Delays suck, but that is life.

Elites don't demand meal vouchers or anything other than what they are entitled to. On United 1Ks are entitled to a hotel voucher for weather delays but some CSAs are not aware of that. In that case it is enforcing a rule.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
I am not going to offer my opinions here on the theme of the article since there will be plenty of opinions offered in this tread but you can tell that the article's point is poorly supported by the examples he uses within.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:40 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Have you seen the other articles he has put out?? What rubbish.

Maids on a mission
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24776850/
An entire page devoted to one bottomline- use commonsense and lock up valueables when not in the room and use the do not disturb sign if you don't want to be bothered. If a room needs to be serviced at another time, you can always make a call.

The articles just keep getting worse on topics -
Be careful not to touch anything at the Wynn Las Vegas (mini bar charges) http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2...ynn-las-vegas/
and worst of all....
See you in court
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24355249/
And telling people to sue travel suppliers? Does he even have legal background to make such statements or offer legal advice?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Was living in WAS now DFW, at least closer to IAH!;)
Programs: UA:1K SPG:PLT MR:GLD AVIS-HERTZ:PREZ and AA is for quitters!
I feel robbed.....

Whoops was thinking different guy when I saw post title.

Would have been far more interesting discussion if this maniac Chris Elliott had written that article.

Oh well maybe he'll branch out.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
my short note to him:

Mr. Elliott;
It really is not that bad. I hope you are not suggesting that we should do away with all loyality programs. I am sure there are so called "bad apples" in any rewards/loyality program. I use air travel a fair amount and generally see good behavior by the vast majority of elite travelers. I fly mainly Northwest Airlines (loyality programs do work.) I have seen poor behavior from customers, airline crews, and government officials. When you get a couple hundred people together, you probably will have one to two percent that do not exhibit the best behavior. However, I tend to focus on the good behavior and kind jestures I witness.

I think Flyertalk is a great resource for many travelers and the vast majority of their community members are there to help.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
He's a moron. I had already read his stupid article before I saw this thread an posted a reply there to him about it. Some of his most glaring mistakes:
He confuses elite flyers with bad boy/bad girl high rollers. Moron mistake 1.
He thinks the toilet rule (no econ use toilet in 1st) and has no idea this actually is a directive from Homeland Security! Moron mistake 2!!!
And the idiot actually has the nerve to claim to be some kind of expert!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by davidthomson
He's a moron. I had already read his stupid article before I saw this thread an posted a reply there to him about it. Some of his most glaring mistakes:
He confuses elite flyers with bad boy/bad girl high rollers. Moron mistake 1.
He thinks the toilet rule (no econ use toilet in 1st) and has no idea this actually is a directive from Homeland Security! Moron mistake 2!!!
And the idiot actually has the nerve to claim to be some kind of expert!
use of f toilet by y is not a faa directive - their directive is no crowding but the rest is an airline rule (and a good one IMO, regardless of which cabin i'm sitting in)

Still think he's a moron though
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Elites are the only flyers who recieve decent customer service - regular passengers are treated like cargo. Thats the real problem.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
its all in the presentation

If his objective is to reveal the problems of air travel (humans) and make his readers more aware and therefore the world a better place to live then he may or may not be right about elites, first class, FT'ers
...I just think Brian Regan has made more of difference than he could ever make.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4icqvy8UQ
Old Jun 18, 2008, 4:08 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I think most the comments here are actually just confirming what Chris Elliott wrote, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by gre
And what does this discussion have to do with mileage running?
I wonder too.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 4:14 pm

Chris Elliott is not that stupid, he is very much aware of the benefits of FF programs, probably has some status too and uses all the benefits he is entitled to, may even demand them on occassion! BUT if he was to write about that, he could not make a living! He has to write what appeals to the common denominator (now is that elitist?). But even his audience, if he has one, must be laughing at the Naomi Campbell and Pakistan Air examples.

We fly business/first for the comfort, luxury, we have earned it, we can afford it, whatever currency we use, why should we be embarassed or ashamed of it, we still live in a capitalist country, don't we?

Who would he go after next, people who fly on chartred or private planes?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe he's mad at Flyertalk because we don't like his work very much.

I know I started a thread a year ago suggesting he was America's worst travel writer.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....40&postcount=1

His latest literary efforts have not changed my mind.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Seems that this should go to OMNI or TravelBuzz as it's not MR-related.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.