Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Post Your Mileage Run Needs Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Mileage Run Needs Here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:27 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
GSP, I see you have been PMing those who asked for some help. As help to the rest of us that are attempting to improve our MR skills, would it be possible to post some of the itineraries so that others might be able to a) see how you found what you found and b) possibly profit from other's questions and your hard work? I'm sure lurkers to this forum would appreciate it. And, of course, thanks for putting in time to help out other FTers.
I agree, but perhaps the MRers can post AFTER booking so they don't lose their fares? I'm assuming this is why GSP is PMing rather than posting.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

How I do it

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
GSP, I see you have been PMing those who asked for some help. As help to the rest of us that are attempting to improve our MR skills, would it be possible to post some of the itineraries so that others might be able to a) see how you found what you found and b) possibly profit from other's questions and your hard work? I'm sure lurkers to this forum would appreciate it. And, of course, thanks for putting in time to help out other FTers.
Okay, I'll do an example of what I would normally do:

say that you're based in PIT (Pittsburgh, PA) where I grew up, and you need about 4000 NW EQMs to requalify-that means that you're going to be looking for a deal on Delta or Northwest.

1)The first thing I do is go to FareCompare.com and click on their "Top Deals" button. I ten ask it for the top deals for Pittsburgh, PA.

2)On the first page of results, I don't see anything to the West Coast, which is what I need. So I then head to the second page where three deals pop out at me: Phoenix, Los Angeles, and San Diego, all at around $200-ish. PHX is cheapest and about the right mileage for what I need.

3)Next I hop over to Itasoftware ( http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch ). I then run a month long PIT-PHX one way search, starting on December 1 to see what's available...

4)Northwest has a $94 one way fare through MSP on Sun Dec 16; a good start. It has a stop in MSP and arrives at 1116A in PHX. Now, run a search for a compatible return.

5)PHX-PIT showas a $98 one way with stops in MSP and DTW that leaves about an hour after arrival, a same day return with no hotel!

Voila:

PIT-PHX
NW2005 Connecting to NW121

PHX-PIT
NW124 to NW746 to NW1585

$192 all in for 4299 EQMs at about 4.8 cpm.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
I agree, but perhaps the MRers can post AFTER booking so they don't lose their fares? I'm assuming this is why GSP is PMing rather than posting.
That's precisely why I made up the PIT-PHX example...........
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: NW Silver Elite, CO
You get special holiday good karma points for doing this !!!!(even though I don't need it...however if you work on a 75000 mileage thing on NW for me in January/February)
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:08 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Thumbs up Atl?

What a great thread! Thanks! ^^

I am based in ATL. May be able to swing BHM if I absolutely have too. I need about 6000 MQM on DL. 5000 would be ok since if your close Delta tends to give you a little longer to make status (so says my boss...) and I will prolly go to Indy in Dec for work so I can make up the 1000 lack that way too.

I can only do weekend (red eye sun-mon is ok). I would like to do this as cheap as possible. I have a $400 voucher from a bump I could use. I prefer no overnight but can swing that if i need too.

Thanks!

Foo
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
1. UA Only, need BIS miles for last 2 CR1

2. 2300 miles
3. Only Dec 22,29,30
4. I don't think needed
5. LGA,JFK, ISP, HPN, SWF departing airport, can go to anywhere
6. as low as possible, I only found 300++ ticket, hope you can help find some cheaper one.

Thanks a lot
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:29 pm

1. DL Only, need Medallion Miles to maintain Silver status. I have 22474

2. 2600 miles
3. Any day between the 8-20. I can stay a few nights and make it a trip with the wife or return the same day.
4. Would love to go NY but a 1 stop thru Atlanta puts me 6 miles short of 25K
5. JAX departing airport, can go to anywhere
6. as low as possible $250 -340
Thanks a lot for the time..
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Druid's Dream
...however if you work on a 75000 mileage thing on NW for me in January/February)
What s/he said.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

A quick update

I got pulled in to consult on a policy paper for a few hours. I just finished the caddy's run.

I've looked at all of the others, and they're going to take some time, but I should get there; if not tonight, then tomorrow.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:32 pm

Thanks for helping out. I'm in about the same situation as foofiter.

1. Which airline/alliance? --- DL MQM's/SkyTeam (international travel ok)
2. How many miles or segments? --- 6581
3. Available dates? --- Any before 12/18
4. Are you willing to stay in a hotel for a night or two? --- Yes
5. Which airport(s) can you depart from? --- ATL, BHM, CHA, TYS
6. Ballpark: how much are you willing to spend? --- ~$400 or less
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:37 am
Original Poster

GSP flyer's gonna take a nap now.....

Back at it tomorrow......
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
Thanks GSP Flyer - Need Aeroplan Miles - 3,800 only

I only need 3,800 Aeroplan Miles to get to the next level. I live in Vancouver and have only till Dec 16 to fly (I'll be in the UK after that!) Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the offer of help. We ended up booking LAX-MIA-JFK-LAX for Dec 15 for 398.00. Probably not the best deal out there but it gets him the miles all in one day with a minimum number of connections, so I'm happy.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:17 am

Thanks for the help! I'm very close to premier on UA...

1. No. of miles/segments that you have at present. 24,679 EQM
2. How many more miles/segments will it take to reach your goal. 321 EQM
3. Where are you are based. Washington, DC (DCA, IAD, or BWI)
4. Whether or not there is some place specific that you would really like to go. No preference, but a closer is better.
5. Dates you are available to travel are must a must - in both directions, please! Dec 2 - Dec 20. Would really like a same day r/t if at all possible.
6. Also, it would help if you mentioned the budget, please! <$200

Thanks!!!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:30 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
I'll take requests two at a time through this thread; when I'm through with those, I'll post on this thread that the queue is open. This way, I'll be able to try and fulfill as many of these requests without leaving anyone in the lurch should my schedule change. I'll Private Message you the itineraries, and everyone ends up happy.
emphasis mine

Just a friendly reminder - we don't want GSP to implode!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.