Wiki Posts
Search

1P to 1K in 30 days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond
Premier to 1K in 30 days

I wanted to thank everyone for FlyerTalk.

I have been reading here for some time and finally joined to chirp in here and there. A little complaint...you have turned me into a mile junky. MSY-DEN nope I went MSY-ATL-LAS-MEM-DEN instead for $30 more lol.

Now I know about dream maps, ITA and drive my business partner crazy. We were talking about a client in CHS this morning and decided let's go spend 2 days with them and leave in the next few hours. Before flyertalk that was a simple DEN-CHS and back with whatever was out there. Now it was do you want to DEN-CLT-CHS-IAD-DEN or do you want to DEN-LAX-SFO-IAD-CLT-CHS-IAD-DEN hey there are extra segments there for the same price and we save on a nights hotel lol.

You get the idea.

Last year I made Premier on Dec 24th. This year I figured I do the same as I had to do alot of travel on Frontier as they are the only ones with the latest flights out of alot of cities back to Denver.

But thanks to you guys I have learned to maximize a bit here and there and now sit with 53.5 EQM's. I am on travel this week that has 4 segments that puts me at 56.5 EQM (47k miles).

So as of Dec 1 I am Premier. I know I will hit Premier Exec but I am now convinced I should make 1K happen in 30 days with segments.

56.5 Now
3 segs MIA from US Air earlier in the year I gotta get handled.
Dec 4-8 DEN-STL turned into DEN-MSP-ORD-STL-ORD-CID-DEN thanks to ITA was cheaper than non-stop.
Dec 10-14 trip Oregon and one to OAK turned into DEN-LAX-SFO-MFR MFR-SFO-LAX-OAK OAK-LAX-DEN 8 segs instead of the original non-stop 4
Dec 17th week I have either a Portland trip or NC but can turn either into 8 segs
SEA for Christmas, yep 8 instead of 2 somehow.
Orlando for New Years so can get half the trip in this year, another 4 segs

So I have to get 7 more segments in by the 31st. I have Nov 30, Dec 15, 22 or Dec 27,28th free yet. I may try to do a DEN-West Coast with a couple additional stops take a red eye to the east coast and get a few segs on the return.

I don't know if I am trying to just kill myself or is it worth it. Next year I will probably make 1K so it would be nice to have the extras this next year
but for now thanks to you all just call me addicted.

Last edited by xtacy8one; Nov 28, 2007 at 1:50 am
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Wow, congrats on the outstanding 1K-on-segments plan! Those MSY and CHS routings are terrific.

Although it looks like you'll be averaging 4 segments or so per travel day, it really only works out to an average of a little more than a segment per day for the rest of the year. And it's convenient that you have 12/15 free, as that seems to be a good day for low fares in December!

Best of luck!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Life-Plat, Hyatt ex-Diamond, Hilton ex-Diamond, UA ex-1K, Avis ex-Chairman
After a few segment run for my quest to requalify 1K, I know this is no easy task! Segment run is reserved for the courageous fews, especially in December where weather can play a significant factor. I admire your braveness and dedication and I wish you the best of luck!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
For 7 segs, how about:

12/15 dep. DEN 8:50a, return DEN 11:03p

routing: DEN-LAS-PSP-LAX-SFO-LAX-SNA-DEN

$358.30 all in (mixture of S and L fares)

You can probably do better fare-wise, but getting 7 segments completed in just over 14 hours is pretty impressive!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fzwinter
For 7 segs, how about:

12/15 dep. DEN 8:50a, return DEN 11:03p

routing: DEN-LAS-PSP-LAX-SFO-LAX-SNA-DEN

$358.30 all in (mixture of S and L fares)

You can probably do better fare-wise, but getting 7 segments completed in just over 14 hours is pretty impressive!

Thanks I like that one. I am having a hard time getting united.com to take, keep getting error messages, will try later.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
You might just want to try Orbitz, Expedia, or a travel agency
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Well guys here is a little update. I made 1P on Dec 4th on the way to St Louis.

I had a STL-ORD-CID-DEN for the return and still need to get something in before my DEN-SMF-SFO-SEA-PDX-LAX-OAK on Tuesday. Well it's snowing in Denver so got online at STL and booked a DEN-SFO-SEA-ORD-RDU-IAD-CLT-MIA for this afternoon and a return of MIA-MCO-IAD-DEN

So we are ontime at CID and there is some security breach so we get delayed and then we take forever to get in the hour so yep we are an hour late and miss my SFO departure by 10 min.

At least I finally got a supervisor to see my point of view and exchange my DEN-SFO-SEA to a Direct flight with a comp to F for my troubles.

Sorry for the rambling but getting jet lag???? lol Started midweek with 57.5 segs and will be at around 90 by Sunday.

Hope to see some Flyer Talk tags around and say hi
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by xtacy8one
Well guys here is a little update. I made 1P on Dec 4th on the way to St Louis.

I had a STL-ORD-CID-DEN for the return and still need to get something in before my DEN-SMF-SFO-SEA-PDX-LAX-OAK on Tuesday. Well it's snowing in Denver so got online at STL and booked a DEN-SFO-SEA-ORD-RDU-IAD-CLT-MIA for this afternoon and a return of MIA-MCO-IAD-DEN

So we are ontime at CID and there is some security breach so we get delayed and then we take forever to get in the hour so yep we are an hour late and miss my SFO departure by 10 min.

At least I finally got a supervisor to see my point of view and exchange my DEN-SFO-SEA to a Direct flight with a comp to F for my troubles.

Sorry for the rambling but getting jet lag???? lol Started midweek with 57.5 segs and will be at around 90 by Sunday.

Hope to see some Flyer Talk tags around and say hi
Can you hopefully get original routing credit and thus segment credit for the original routing since it was not your fault?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by xtacy8one
Started midweek with 57.5 segs and will be at around 90 by Sunday.
That is truly absurd!

And wonderful.

:-::-:
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
Can you hopefully get original routing credit and thus segment credit for the original routing since it was not your fault?

that would be cool, i will try and get it when i finish this round,

my business partner thinks you have all turned me into an addict lol

--

another question i noticed in my upgrade summery there is 2 confirmed reginal upgrade certs, is that from hitting premier exec? or a gift from missing the flight?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Hey just a little update. I finished my weekend mega run with a overnight in MIA for dinner. I had a great time with a few glitches along the way.

I left on Dec 8 and got back tonight the 10th and completed my STL-ORD-CID-DEN-SFO-SEA-ORD-RDU-IAD-CTL-MIA-MCO-IAD-ORD-DEN run.

my DEN-SFO-SEA part turned into DEN-SEA due to a late arrival from CID and when I was boarding today at MCO Easy update was calling telling me all flights to ORD where cancelled.

When I got to IAD I was able to convince Customer Service to rebook the remainder IAD-ORD-DEN as an invol IAD-CLT-DEN with the CLT-DEN as a F ticket on US metal for compensation. You should have saw the look on the gal at US when I went to get my boarding pass at CLT. She was not to happy about my Y fare being changed to a real F.

The only part about it I don't like is now I don't get my credit towards e500's as it is on US metal now and I probably won't get 1.5 EQS from a F on US metal.

I am glad I choose to chill tomorrow as it snowing hard in DEN tonight and Frontier has already cancelled alot of morning flights Wed and I am sure UA will be a mess too.

Wed I have a 6 seg run to OAK and on Sat a return with 3 and then to MFR with 3 segs on Sun.

Thanks for the addiction FT
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Awesome story!

Let us know when you make it!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:25 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I'd hate to see the costs of all of this but, WOW. Truly an amazing story you're coming up with here.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GM
Ever get the same flight crew on multiple segs? I had the same crew going ORD - IAD - DEN - SFO. When we boarded in SFO they wanted to know what I was doing. I just told them I was, "well, you know...one of them."

They just smiled and wished me luck on my quest. I imagine however they thought I was nuts to actually pay money to fly all these routes.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Well I am halfway thru the 6seg run from DEN to OAK and sitting in the RCC is SEA.

The MIA trip, that was expensive but I wanted to go down for my birthday and splurge.

On Saturday I am supposed to return home from OAK to DEN and then go Sunday to MFR. 2 nonstops would cost my clients about 550 for both but thanks to you guys and ITA it is leaving OAK at 1pm on sat and getting to MFR about 11pm sun.

I couldn't book my first choice dot.bomb kept bombing so I went with the second choice and still couldn't book even though it was their suggested routing. The lady at Chicago call center told me .com only let's you book a max of 8 segments and when a flight is a US codeshare it requires a min of 1 hour connection time, 55 min no good. So it seems ITA gives alot of unbookable flights.

So this trip is for 462.59 with tax, all UA metal except one US seg.

OAK-LAX-SFO-SAN-IAD-JAX-CLT-ORD-SFO-MFR

about 7800 miles

sorry about the spelling no time to spell check

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.