Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hall of Fame: Mileage, Hotel, and Car deals

Old Oct 30, 07, 5:34 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

We've just been thru another white knuckle, adrenalin surge, thumb biting deal where we've raced to get it booked while still available. I thought it would be fun to stroll down memory lane, looking at some of the mega deals that have been booked on FlyerTalk.

Someone used the term "whale" to describe the massive bargains that are occasionally found. I like that term, and have attempted to only include such deals in this list. I'm not sure how others would define that term; for me, it is finding a deal at less than 10% of the normal price.

I'd love help in adding to this list.

Air
11/01 SJC-CDG $27.88 - Benjamin

07/02 ORD-PVR $150 in paid biz on Mexicana - united959 - UA meant to take 10% off fare, and instead priced it as 10% of fare

11/02 BA WT+ $20 - altaflyer

5/04 JFK-KEF (Keflavik, Iceland) $61 at cheaptickets.com - notsosmart

1/05 Amazing fares from Tahiti to everywhere. Example: $100 PPT-NYC - gleff in Other South Pacific forum, picked up by yevlesh2 in Mileage Run

4/05 Lebanon/Watertown $1.86 on US MileageAddict

4/05 LAX-NAN (Nadi, Fiji) - $51 all in- channa

4/06 Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia) - rosj – first week on FT

7/06 Expedia UK AA F LHR-JFK ow 413GBP including tax infoguy

5/07 – UA Business Class Roundtrip SFO-AKL $1480.00 All In Mister Nice, found by izzik, who wasn't on FT at the time

10/07 CMB-JFK $1100 ow biz, MPM or HIP - glenntwenty, first post on FT

Hotel
W NYC for $20

11/05 Hilton Tokyo 1/night expedia.co.uk modularmayhem
11/05 Osaka Hilton $2 on expedia.com - Fiumicino

2/06 – Phuket Holiday Inn Resort: 0.01THB djohannw

7/06 – $40/nt Priceline deal for La Quinta Resortsenoreit (found on Bidding for Travel)

8/06 Conrad Bangkok Presidential Suite for $51 thorthor - 1st post on FT

12/06 Le Meridien Khao Lak for 100 Ugandan Shillings cooperhs 1st post on FT

Car

5/07 Hertz Car Rental LHR $3.10/day ivoryboi

Memorable points earning opportunities (from gleff's post below)

'99? Any Hall of Fame must include Pudding Guy's extreme success with the Healthy Choice-American Airlines promotion not only earned him over a million miles, it also brought him fame beyond that of any other frequent flyer. Not only was he all over the news, but he was immortalized in film. It was so improbable that it warranted verification from Snopes.com. Some discussions of the offer itself can be found here, here, and here.

10/00 And while the original post Forget Latin Pass - lets have a BAHT PASS run. Become a UA "1K" for $750 in 10 days! seems to be gone, Archive.org has it. - tvl4free, ozstamps. crankyusi's 5 year old son became a 1K flying this with his dad.

12/01 - The Goldpoints/Valumags offer allowed the purchase of unlimited miles in a variety of airline programs for less than one cent apiece. See goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111 for a representative sample of discussion.

11/01 - The KLM Match: offered to match not just elite status but account balances as well - Intercity Aviation

2/03 - Then there was the time we were able to drive instead of fly to earn miles via Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe - Pudding Guy

3/03 - And while we're talking about loading up on miles for doing things other than flying, there was the brief period when 1-800-Flowers was offering 100 Delta miles per dollar - sonofapilotman

4/02 In the Spring of 2002, Randy was offering some amazing bonuses for subscribing to Inside Flyer magazine. Some savvy Flyertalkers realized that it was an opportunity to Fly the concorde JFK-LHR for $1259 courtesy of Randy. johnep1

1/00 - LatinPass, 1,000,000 bonus miles (An offer Dr. Evil could not resist! One meelyun miles!) and LatinPass: Who's Really Going? - Mileage Addict

10/00 - And as a strategy, the Mexican Hat Dance deserves a place in the hall of fame, no? I believe that Ken hAAmer was the architect of this.

11/06 Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles tmcneill

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 20, 10 at 9:49 pm
Old Oct 30, 07, 5:41 pm

NW OTP deal has to rank high...
Old Oct 30, 07, 5:47 pm

I haven't found the link yet but this is to remind me to look: the C class SK fare to PVG...
Old Oct 30, 07, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, SPG Gold
All I can say is that I hope that more of these "whales" come along over the next year or so because I'm now hooked on FT and traveling for pleasure.
Old Oct 30, 07, 5:54 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
AZ AMS-PVG in J $600+ in 05
NW YOW-HNL in Y $80+ in 06
LX intra-Europe in Y 5000 pt. bonus per seg (av. seg cost $55) in 05
TG 'Baht Run' in Y 1500 miles per AC seg (av. seg cost $8) in 01 thanks ozstamps/travel4free
'Inside Flyer'/SPG/QF magazine deal= fly Concorde for $1100 in ??
ValueMags/Goldpoints in 03?
KLM Flying Dutchman promo matching status AND account balances in other programs in 02
United 'Three Perfect Days' 25K bonus per roundtrip bw selected cities in F
(I selected LOS-LAS for $425!!) in '99

Marriott unlimited point purchase for 1 cent per point in 07

Last edited by beaubo; Oct 30, 07 at 6:07 pm
Old Oct 30, 07, 5:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Environmentally Friendly Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
There was the UA deal to CDG ... will look for the link

adding: can't find the original thread, but it was $23 and change from SFO and possibly other cities.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 30, 07 at 6:05 pm
Old Oct 30, 07, 6:15 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The UA AKL deal, while rather good, was not less than 10% of normal price.
Old Oct 30, 07, 6:17 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

I'd guess the AKL UA deal was about 15% of normal price. Here I am, already outside my own guidelines.
Old Oct 30, 07, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Any Hall of Fame must include Pudding Guy's extreme success with the Healthy Choice-American Airlines promotion not only earned him over a million miles, it also brought him fame beyond that of any other frequent flyer. Not only was he all over the news, but he was immortalized in film. It was so improbable that it warranted verification from Snopes.com. Some discussions of the offer itself can be found here, here, and here.

And while the original post Forget Latin Pass - lets have a BAHT PASS run. Become a UA "1K" for $750 in 10 days! seems to be gone, Archive.org has it.

The Goldpoints/Valumags offer allowed the purchase of unlimited miles in a variety of airline programs for less than one cent apiece. See goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111 for a representative sample of discussion.

The KLM Match: offered to match not just elite status but account balances as well.

Then there was the time we were able to drive instead of fly to earn miles via Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe

And while we're talking about loading up on miles for doing things other than flying, there was the brief period when 1-800-Flowers was offering 100 Delta miles per dollar.

In the Spring of 2002, Randy was offering some amazing bonuses for subscribing to Inside Flyer magazine. Some savvy Flyertalkers realized that it was an opportunity to Fly the concorde JFK-LHR for $1259 courtesy of Randy.

LatinPass, 1,000,000 bonus miles (An offer Dr. Evil could not resist! One meelyun miles!) and LatinPass: Who's Really Going?

The link to the BA WT+ $20 offer is here.

My own very first deal with MX's $150 all-in business class fare to PVR, the link is to my MilesBuzz cross-post but the deal was originally found by UNITED959.

And as a strategy, the Mexican Hat Dance deserves a place in the hall of fame, no?

Finally, Amazing fares from Tahiti to everywhere. Example: $100 PPT-NYC.
Old Oct 30, 07, 6:36 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
There was the UA deal to CDG ... will look for the link

adding: can't find the original thread, but it was $23 and change from SFO and possibly other cities.
I think it is this thread. As you dip into it, the price dips from the $85 in the title to various numbers in the $20s.

The WSJ ran an article saying that UA was not going to honor the fare:

http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/...9544528745.htm

United Site Quotes Super-Low Fares,
Balks at Honoring the Ticket Prices
By JANE COSTELLO
WSJ.COM

United spokesman Chris Brathwaite says the airline won't honor any tickets sold at those prices. "Anyone who thought they could fly from L.A. to Paris for $27 should have known better," Mr. Brathwaite says.
KevinB was interviewed by Extra. In the end, UA honored the fare.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 6:24 p.m. ET

CHICAGO (AP) -- Fantasy fares of as little as $25 round-trip to Europe turned out to be a dream come true, after all, for dozens of customers of United Airlines.

Reversing course, United said Monday it would honor the 143 tickets sold on its Web site during a 55-minute period on Jan. 31 when flights for international destinations were offered for next to nothing.

The world's largest carrier blamed a computer error and said last week that anyone who spotted the near-giveaway fares at www.ual.com should have known that the prices -- $24.98 for San Francisco to Paris, for example, with similar deals for flights to Hong Kong and other cities -- were too good to be true.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 30, 07 at 6:56 pm
Old Oct 30, 07, 6:37 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I'd guess the AKL UA deal was about 15% of normal price. Here I am, already outside my own guidelines.
I'm just givin ya my definition of HOF/'whales'- some might be great white, some might be blue, some might be sperm, some might be considered beached....but you can always edit some of mine out!!!
Old Oct 30, 07, 7:09 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Here are a few more

The first two are honorable mentions I think as more than 10%

ATL-HNL $152.50 UA in 2006 or early '07

West Coast to HNL $141 including 2 nites hotel NW same time frame as above

Wendy's/Airtran Cup Promo

Shutterfly to Goldpoints Promo (my favorite as half the hotels never take the points out)
Old Oct 30, 07, 7:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Emmi cheese

The Swiss Knights Cheese deal was under 1 cpm.

And after I gave away 88 pounds to a charity (in individually wrapped 1 oz pieces, 6 to a wheel), my wife asks me where the cheese is, because she likes it!

DOH!
Old Oct 30, 07, 8:50 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Icelandair to Reykjavik for $61 and Air Pacific to Fiji for $58. My two favorite deals of all time.
Old Oct 30, 07, 9:34 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

MileageAddict on the emotional phases of a mistake fare

Here is a classic, worthy of reference every time a whale occurs:

Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
Ahhhh....the emotional phases of a mistake fare.

1. Discovery - mistake fare is posted on FT. Novices frantically checks how much vacation time they have and if the dates of availability mesh with their schedules. Experienced FTers just book it and worry about contacting spouses or their boss later. Word spreads like wildfire.

2. Excitement - Tickets purchased, confirmation emails received and dates of travel shared with other FTers. Discussions of what to see and do and where to stay crop up in other threads. Novices contact source to change seats or inquire about upgrades, Seasoned FTers sit back and enjoy reading the discussion threads.

3. Stress Stage 1 - Concern over paper ticket delivery - Novices Frantically check otheFedEx website every few hours, constant monitoring of driveway for FedEx truck. Seasoned FT veterans sit back and relax.

4. Glee and happiness - Paper tickets in hand, vacation request submitted, spouses finally informed, hotel reservations made and bragging to friends and co-workers begins. Both novices and experts get very excited.

5. Stress Stage 2 - Rumors of fare not being honored, discussion threads about the airline and ticketing agency ensue. Rumors crop up like crabgrass at this stage. Many FTers begin to worry excessively about whether or not the trip will happen. Novices make non-refundable and financial committments to their trip. Seasoned FTers make mixed drinks (and maybe a sandwich) and is patient.

6. Reality Check - Accurate information is obtained - usually takes place a week to 10 days after mistake fare is published. Confirmed information from the source as to whether or not tickets will be honored.

7a. Pure Joy (Icelandair style- Fare is Honored) - Lots of happy people, FT threads on shared information regarding hotels, restaurants, tours, etc. Jealousy from others sets in. First "FT guinea pigs" embark, post confirmation threads that all is ok.

7b Hostile Feelings (Copa Airlines Style - fare is not honored) - Many angry and disappointed FTers. Refunds are issued. Novices have multiple discussion threads of lawsuits and hostile correspondence, FT pros mutter "c'est la vie" and look for the next fare mistake.

8a Success (Honored) - Trip Report thread becomes very active

Search this Thread