Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

15 Hours in London what's a MRunner to Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 Hours in London what's a MRunner to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Lightbulb 15 Hours in London what's a MRunner to Do?

Okay so I booked my first Intl MR and I’m extremely excited . Unfortunately I have only 15 hours in London (this is my first visit to Great Brittan) and I need some ideas on what to do w/ my time. I arrive at 9 PM and Depart at 11:55 AM the next morning (Sat Nov. 4). I’m half tempted to not even book a hotel room, because I thought I could hit the pubs ^ (suggestions would be nice) once I land and then go to the airport early in the morning and crash. Although a hotel would probably be a nice thing so I could have a hot shower and a warm bed. If anyone has hotel recommendations I’m listening my budget is $100 US (I know it’s not much). Also I’m curious does anyone knows if the LH or UA lounges have showers or what their hours are? The webs sites don’t mention them having them, so I’m thinking they don’t. I just wanted to make sure, because the all nighter would be a little more palatable if I can get a shower in the AM. Also, on my return I’m flying LH (LHR-FRA), so will I have access to both lounges in LHR or just LH (I’m *G and also have an RCC Membership). Lastly, I understand that LHR is a nightmare so what time do I need to get to the airport, I will only have a carryon and will only need to get my BP before going through security.

As usual thanks in advance everyone.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Honestly, I would suggest booking an airport hotel through priceline. Most pubs are only open until 11 (although there is now 24 hour drinking allowed, but it can be tricky). You should be fine with 2 hours at LHR, unless you want to spend more time in the lounge, including shower time, etc.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:18 am
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Re: Showers at LHR RCC:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi.../t-182690.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105483
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi...p/t-98426.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101202
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
The pubs do close at 11... but there are definitely lots of clubs that are open all hours of the night... it depends on what scene you are into... gay, straight, drugs/no drugs...

there are showers and everything at LHR but i do agree that no hotel room is a big gamble... why not just book a room at the airport?
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, US Air Gold, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
You can take the train into town and do one of the city bus tours. It gives you a taste of everything in the shortest amount of time possible. It's also inexpensive.

You can get off the bus if you want to see something in more detail and then get back on later.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by odysseusinrtp
You can take the train into town and do one of the city bus tours. It gives you a taste of everything in the shortest amount of time possible. It's also inexpensive.

You can get off the bus if you want to see something in more detail and then get back on later.

Originally Posted by rkaradi
I arrive at 9 PM and Depart at 11:55 AM the next morning (Sat Nov. 4).
Not many bus tours running at 3am in central London though !
I'd check out Priceline-you'll be able to get an airport hotel for that.
You could probably find a dance club or maybe a late night bar somewhere like Staines rather than travel into central London.Personally if Proceline come up with a decent hotel I'd probably stick to the hotel bar. Be aware the tube isn't 24 hours and if you go into London you won't be able to return back to Heathrow until around 5am
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, US Air Gold, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by duchy
Not many bus tours running at 3am in central London though !
I'd check out Priceline-you'll be able to get an airport hotel for that.
You could probably find a dance club or maybe a late night bar somewhere like Staines rather than travel into central London.Personally if Proceline come up with a decent hotel I'd probably stick to the hotel bar. Be aware the tube isn't 24 hours and if you go into London you won't be able to return back to Heathrow until around 5am
Hmm.... missed that point... last time I checked 3 am really wasn't a good time for a bus tour. ; - )
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info. Sad to hear about the Pubs . With that in mind a hotel near the airport does sound like the best idea, boy their are a lot to choose from any favorites?
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Thanks everyone for the info. Sad to hear about the Pubs . With that in mind a hotel near the airport does sound like the best idea, boy their are a lot to choose from any favorites?

I would think youd do better by checking out and asking your questions over on the UK Forum in Travel & Dining. As for which Hotel, for that I would suggest you check out betterbidding and biddingfortravel to know what Hotel people have gotten lately and for how much, make sure you see what day they won there bid and to make sure its for the same day as you will need 1.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I would think youd do better by checking out and asking your questions over on the UK Forum in Travel & Dining. As for which Hotel, for that I would suggest you check out betterbidding and biddingfortravel to know what Hotel people have gotten lately and for how much, make sure you see what day they won there bid and to make sure its for the same day as you will need 1.
Good call, I'll do that. I just didn't want to start another thread, but that's probably the wisest thing to do.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
No "city tours" in the wee-hours of the mornings in London.
The airport hotel would be wise...if you're plugged into any hotel points program, this might be a way to snag an extra stay, or points, etc. otherwise priceline, biddingfortravel, betterbidding, etc. are---as others have said--your friends.

The buses back to the Heathrow area in the wee hours (sometimes literally!) are people-watching experiences to be sure.

I think the HEX may still be running that late, to quickly get you into town, and there's plenty of places within FT and online to ascertain discount promos & discount codes. You'd likely be taking a bus back to the airport area.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:45 am

(Snip) ...and I need some ideas on what to do w/ my time. I arrive at 9 PM and Depart at 11:55 AM the next morning (Sat Nov. 4).
Hi there,
You could enjoy the view on the way in... Nov 5th is Bonfire night but as that's a Sunday, there will be lots of fires & fireworks on the Friday & Saturday nights. Consider a window seat for this flight!

If you are on a 11:55am flight out, you can easily get back out to LHR in the morning after a good night in London. As other's have suggested, use Priceline for a good deal. You could go into central London, party hard and get a bit of sleep and a shower before going back out to LHR on the tube. If you are in desperate need for a quiet beer at 5:30am, the Weatherspoons pub at Victoria station will be open.
IMPORTANT TIP: The London Underground and bad hangovers do not make a good combination!

Also, on my return I’m flying LH (LHR-FRA), so will I have access to both lounges in LHR or just LH (I’m *G and also have an RCC Membership).
If you're flying LH LHR-FRA you'll be leaving from the horror that is known as Terminal 2! Once you've checked in - you REALLY want to use the kiosks - and got through security, you will be able to access the LH Lounge. As a *Gold you'll be able to get in once you've found it. Tip - you walk through the shopping area, go round a few corners, then go down a short corridor and go up the lift. It is signposted quite well.
You will not be able to access the RCC as that's in a different terminal.

Have a good trip,
Jason
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:49 am

If you are looking for a good hotel at a good price, I recommend Jury's at Hatton Cross.

Just stayed there last week on a stop over and it was very good- 3 minute walkf rom the tube station

paid 52 Sterling ( approx $105.00).

Easy to get to- one stop on the tube (# sterling each way)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.