Canadian Customs Problems

Old Oct 24, 07, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Would they need to schedule an appointment at a US Consulate to convert the I-797 into a H1b visa stamp, or would it be possible for them to have that done at US Immigration in Blaine while I'm doing my Nexus interview?
Which way are you going? The Blaine Nexus office is by attached to the truck crossing BCP/ICE buildings but access isn't from the highway. I imagine it would be o.k. for you to take the backroad to the Nexus office and then you can walk to the Nexus office while your companion goes to see an immigration agent. I'd call ahead and try to schedule an appointment with someone at BCP/ICE first though.
Old Oct 24, 07, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Which way are you going? The Blaine Nexus office is by attached to the truck crossing BCP/ICE buildings but access isn't from the highway. I imagine it would be o.k. for you to take the backroad to the Nexus office and then you can walk to the Nexus office while your companion goes to see an immigration agent. I'd call ahead and try to schedule an appointment with someone at BCP/ICE first though.
We'd be coming up from the WA side. I'd think it would be ok, except I'm unsure about whether or not a border crossing agent is permitted to issue a visa stamp, or if it needs to be done at the Consulate because of the rules.
Old Oct 25, 07, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA plt,Ltgold
Originally Posted by AC110 View Post
I must lead a charmed life then. I, for some reason, rarely seem to have these problems. Personally I've traveled far more than most people (certainly less than many here on FT) and I find that I have a fairly smooth ride almost everywhere.

I wonder why I so rarely have problems and you regularly have hostility 'dished out' to you?
I am assuming you are a Canadian and hence not dealing with the Canadian Immigration like a foreigner would.

Mrs P who is Canadian but not white would constantly get harassed at YHZ when returning from her US trips. Finally she got tired of it wrote a letter to the Canadian Immigration. She got an apology letter and ever since, no further questions have been asked, in fact they are too polite to her now.
Old Oct 25, 07, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Don't fall afoul of the U.S. government

Even if what you are doing is exercising your constitutional rights to free speech

See:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...International/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

These women are being held in Montreal (or maybe Ottawa) as they appear on the U.S. NCIC database.
Old Oct 25, 07, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by pltwannab View Post
I am assuming you are a Canadian and hence not dealing with the Canadian Immigration like a foreigner would.

Mrs P who is Canadian but not white would constantly get harassed at YHZ when returning from her US trips. Finally she got tired of it wrote a letter to the Canadian Immigration. She got an apology letter and ever since, no further questions have been asked, in fact they are too polite to her now.
Well, I'd never say there aren't problems, because obviously there are going to be. I guess I get a little bent when I see everyone piling on - any I don't work for border services or immigration.

Thanks for the polite tone of your comments BTW, debate is much more rewarding this way!
Old Oct 25, 07, 5:56 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Even if what you are doing is exercising your constitutional rights to free speech

See:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...International/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

These women are being held in Montreal (or maybe Ottawa) as they appear on the U.S. NCIC database.
Well at least you understand things unlike that 110 person who probably works for DHS or CBSA
Old Oct 25, 07, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Well at least you understand things unlike that 110 person who probably works for DHS or CBSA
If you'd read my post, you'll see i don't work for CBSA, and I don't work for DHS either.

Like I said, I know there are going to be problems, I just don't see Canadian border people being any better or worse than other countries I've travelled to, that's all.
Old Oct 25, 07, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
My last trip to YVR, the customs official there gave me a very alarming 3rd degree about the nature of my business in Canada. I've driven into Canada several times and never got this kind of run around.

The usual about the length of my stay, where I was staying, nature of my business, etc. He then asked me about my employer, who is in the transportation industry (hence the "CargoJon".) I made the mistake of stating that our company imports and exports. He then must've though I was smuggling crack because he got all somber and I thought I was headed for the rectal exam. I mentioned that our company was also a Customs broker, and he immediately changed his tune and waved me on through.....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: