Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fares posted before they're loaded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLT) / CO (because I fly non-stop SFO-CDG on Air France) / UA (sometimes)

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question, but I think that it might be...

In the Mileage Run Deals forum I've often seen posts from people that mention fares that will be "loaded soon".

Does that mean that sites like Farecompare actually post certain fares before they're even loaded?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Cheers!
Old May 21, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Yes. What happens is that each airline "publishes" their fares in several booking systems. It takes a few hours to propagate into all booking systems. AFAIK, this is mostly due to the fact that the systems are antiquated. Once farecompare gets these fares, it parses them, compares against their historical data and sends you an email saying that "expect these fares".

Each of these fares has a certain number of seats on certain dates. Airlines can pull the plug on these fares at any time by simply reducing this availiability. This is why you sometimes can't get the fare you see on sites like Orbitz, or even on Farecompare, which doesn't track availiability.
Old May 21, 2007, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLT) / CO (because I fly non-stop SFO-CDG on Air France) / UA (sometimes)
Thanks Palal!
I guess this doesn't include "mistake" fares then, or does it?
Old May 21, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by kharma99
Thanks Palal!
I guess this doesn't include "mistake" fares then, or does it?
It does.
Old May 22, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: NW MH RT SQ PC
This is the place to get them while they are hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.