Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake Fares FAQ

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 9:28 am

Well said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Using the aforementioned term to refer to an extraordinarily low fare could be problematic. I've often wondered if some of the inordinately high fares between cities with little competition couldn't be called "mistakes". If United wants $400 for a coach fare from ORD to DSM, few of us are likely to call it by the aforementioned term. Why isn't it a mistake if it is in the airline's favor?

Originally Posted by channa
Calling it a Mistake Fare FAQ is a very bad idea. It gives them proof that you knew it was a mistake before you booked.

If you know it's a mistake, and booked it, how can you expect it to be honored? They can claim mistake, cancel it, and all bets are off.

If you take advantage of a really good deal, or a limited time special, or whatever you want to call it, then perhaps it will be different.

Here are 3 examples of fares:

- 1 GBP fare within Europe
- $10 SkyBus fare to Columbus
- $20 fare to Europe

All 3 are good fares. Only 1 of those was a mistake. How can you be certain the last one is a mistake until they say it's a mistake?

Let's just be smart about the terminology here.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:18 am

Programs: (almost) everything!
Rule: Save original fare rule, preferably most detailed one
Old May 8, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
My vote would be against having a FAQ. Anything about the fare that would be answered in a FAQ will likely be answered or addressed in the deal thread itself. If someone comes to FT and really wants to learn about what to do or what happens when a super-low fare gets posted, they should first take the time to read the stickies and then read the threads for past deals--there's a lot to learn in there. Then they'll be ready the next time around. To me, a FAQ screams "do it for me," and as others have mentioned, each deal is different.

I also feel that having a Mistake Fare FAQ is a little too "in your face" to the airlines for my taste.
Old May 8, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
The airlines and TAs have cancelled tickets and they´ve honoured them. You never know. It depends on how many people bought tickets, where they bought them, will it hurt the airline/hotel/TA, How does the media react and so forth?
Thanks for the response, I am starting to understand how all this work

BTW I'll be in Finland this summer visiting family. ^
Old May 9, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Calling it a Mistake Fare FAQ is a very bad idea. It gives them proof that you knew it was a mistake before you booked.

Agreed: $1200 for a ticket, regardless of where/how, is still $1200 of revenue.
Old May 9, 2007, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
. I've been involved in one or two others that haven't panned out, including the BOS-MAD, but again your status generally becomes clear before you travel.
The bos to mad did pan out. travelocity made up for air europas balking by booking customers on continental...
did this myself for a wknd in mallorca...
Old May 13, 2007, 11:40 am

If you know it's a mistake, and booked it, how can you expect it to be honored? They can claim mistake, cancel it, and all bets are off.

If you take advantage of a really good deal, or a limited time special, or whatever you want to call it, then perhaps it will be different.

- $20 fare to Europe

All 3 are good fares. Only 1 of those was a mistake. How can you be certain the last one is a mistake until they say it's a mistake?

^^^ This post alone needs to be a gold-plated Sticky. I do not book 'mistake' fares. I do book low fares offered through the normal operation of booking systems.

The terminology 'mistake fare' itself is an assertion that can only be made by the airline - I do not presume to question the motives behind the offering of any particular fare for purchase.
Old May 14, 2007, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Limited time special? Who are we really trying to kid by weighing words so carefully? Ourselves or others? I don't expect airlines to weigh the decision to honor the tickets I bought based upon my mindset at time of ticket purchase, I expect said airline to live up to their obligations as they are required to when they make published fares available for sale to the public.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Limited time special? Who are we really trying to kid by weighing words so carefully? Ourselves or others? I don't expect airlines to weigh the decision to honor the tickets I bought based upon my mindset at time of ticket purchase, I expect said airline to live up to their obligations as they are required to when they make published fares available for sale to the public.
Disclaimer: this is not legal advice; consult an attorney practicing in your jurisdiction before relying upon anything in this post.

You seem to think a court wouldn't find your mindset relevant, and you'd be wrong about that. When considering whether a contract is voidable due to the mistake of one party, courts look to whether the other party had reason to know of the mistake.

If you call a fare a "mistake" and then buy it, your contract with the carrier is probably voidable by the carrier. If so, why would the carrier honor it? No court would enforce it. I don't want to hear about 'mistake' fares. I just want to find good deals.

Let me quote the part of channa's excellent post that you didn't:

- $20 fare to Europe

Old May 14, 2007, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by terrier
Disclaimer: this is not legal advice; consult an attorney practicing in your jurisdiction before relying upon anything in this post.

You seem to think a court wouldn't find your mindset relevant, and you'd be wrong about that. When considering whether a contract is voidable due to the mistake of one party, courts look to whether the other party had reason to know of the mistake.

If you call a fare a "mistake" and then buy it, your contract with the carrier is probably voidable by the carrier. If so, why would the carrier honor it? No court would enforce it. I don't want to hear about 'mistake' fares. I just want to find good deals.
Being a lowly TA rather than a lawyer, I can only guess at the tiny percentage of a possability one of these limited time offers would ever wind up in court.

P.S. in my time on FT I have been luck enough to catch a few of these deals, including the $20 BA WT+ limited time offer channa alluded to.

Last edited by tcook052; May 14, 2007 at 8:47 am
Old May 14, 2007, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Being a lowly TA rather than a lawyer, I can only guess at the tiny percentage of a possability one of these limited time offers would ever wind up in court.
Of course. Most disputes never make it to court because the likely outcome is clear to all parties.

If an airline tried to claim unilateral mistake and void properly-issued tickets where the purchasers had no reason to know the fares was a 'mistake' and had not caused the 'mistake,' one might reasonably expect legal action against the airline on behalf of the purchasers.

It is this reasonable expectation that's important, not the legal action itself - risk management will weigh the potential costs and likely outcomes of litigation and act accordingly.

People who post fares here and call them 'mistakes' (rather than letting the airline make that assertion), or who buy these fares after seeing them described as mistakes, essentially concede the airline's ability to void the contract. They would have no legal leg to stand on if it came to court - and the reasonable expectation of legal action against the airline evaporates. That's why calling any fare a mistake is unwise.

There's no need for euphemisms or to speculate about why the fare has been loaded - just post the fare and let the airline call it mistake or mispriced or misfiled.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Jumbo-licious

I call them Jumbos, so the words, "Are-fay Istakes-may" won't pass my lips.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Originally Posted by mpattdu
My vote would be against having a FAQ. Anything about the fare that would be answered in a FAQ will likely be answered or addressed in the deal thread itself. If someone comes to FT and really wants to learn about what to do or what happens when a super-low fare gets posted, they should first take the time to read the stickies and then read the threads for past deals--there's a lot to learn in there. Then they'll be ready the next time around. To me, a FAQ screams "do it for me," and as others have mentioned, each deal is different.

I also feel that having a Mistake Fare FAQ is a little too "in your face" to the airlines for my taste.
Well, have a look at the threads for past deals, e.g. the last one (Orbitz - Ua Business Class Roundtrip Sfo-akl $1480.00 All In). It now has roughly 2500 posts within 7 days with probably lots of vrey good and some bad information. Let's assume, I have enough time to read some of the posts, I still have to figure out, which are good and bad advices.

Having said this, I think, a FAQ would be helpful for newbies and in general for the discussion on the deals.
Old May 14, 2007, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by bau31888
Well, have a look at the threads for past deals, e.g. the last one (Orbitz - Ua Business Class Roundtrip Sfo-akl $1480.00 All In). It now has roughly 2500 posts within 7 days with probably lots of vrey good and some bad information. Let's assume, I have enough time to read some of the posts, I still have to figure out, which are good and bad advices.

Having said this, I think, a FAQ would be helpful for newbies and in general for the discussion on the deals.
Why cant one make the faq only visible for users having, lets say 50 posts or so? then it would solve both problems!? not?
Old May 15, 2007, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HawaiianMiles, Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage; HHonors
I'm all for the semantics game

Originally Posted by bau31888

You're on the right track! I am a newbie. I stayed up so late the other night because I wanted to learn so badly from the latest whatever-we-want-to-call-it deal (and it did have a ga-gillion posts!) that I overslept and was late for work!

I was fascinated at the speed of postings, the confusion, the excitement and the frustrations of those who couldn't keep up with the experts in our community and "missed out" even tho they were there in "real" time trying. I probably would have been one of them. Absolute entertainment and worth oversleeping! (Look, I'm doing it again tonight!)

Let's not offend the airlines! And let's not second guess the airlines' intentions! Let's just help eachother in real time get good deals! Title the post "Great Deal" and we'll read it! Aren't we in the "Mileage Run" Forum already anyway? Isn't that offensive enough to the airlines already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.