Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Busiest travel day around the fourth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, Hyatt Platinum

Trying to book a trip around the fourth of July and was wondering which of the pre/post days is usually the busiest. Obviously my goal would be to get bumped if possible and I am kind of flexible. I can't really figure out when the big travel rush will be as July 4th falls out on a Wednesday this year. Will folks plan around the 29th/30th weekend or possibly leave Monday July 2nd and come back Sunday July 8th (give or take)?

THANKS.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that most people will, take Th/Fr off rather than Mo/Tu if they take time off. The 4th isn't as big of a travel holiday, IMHO, as Labor Day or Memorial Day because it's a drinking beer & grilling & fireworks type vacation. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I'm moving this to mileage run discussion instead of MR deals.

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:55 am

I read an article in the NY Times about how a lot of people are getting married 7/7/07, so you might want to look at leaving 7/6 and coming back 7/8-maybe to/from Vegas?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
I'm heading over to ARN the Wednesday before Memorial day, hoping for a bump or opup. Then heading to SFO on July 6th, hoping for a bump. Both days should be rather full with holiday travellers.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, now that I think about it - Tuesday may be busy as well since most biz travelers will want to be home Tuesday night...
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by crimguy1976
I'm heading over to ARN the Wednesday before Memorial day, hoping for a bump or opup. Then heading to SFO on July 6th, hoping for a bump. Both days should be rather full with holiday travellers.
ARN? what? How does a flight to ARN going to fill up for an american holiday weekend? I'd say your chances are about as good as a bump to YYZ on May 4th, to celebrate Cinco de Mayo....
Perhaps a flight to FLL, SAN, MCO, etc would be better for a bump on those holidays. (in addition to an EX-BWI/WAS/IAD on the 6th of July)
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by crnk
ARN? what? How does a flight to ARN going to fill up for an american holiday weekend? I'd say your chances are about as good as a bump to YYZ on May 4th, to celebrate Cinco de Mayo....
Perhaps a flight to FLL, SAN, MCO, etc would be better for a bump on those holidays. (in addition to an EX-BWI/WAS/IAD on the 6th of July)
I'm connecting through AMS...those flight should be packed.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Due to my work schedule I can only travel on the 2nd or the 5th. I might be able to squeeze in the 3rd as well.

Which is my best option?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:09 pm

June 30 and July 8 will be the busiest because they are Friday and Sunday evenings that are always busy with additional holiday travelers adding to the load. Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday have plenty of excess capacity to handle the loads.

Transatlantic flights will be busiest on Saturdays in July this year.

If you want bumps book multiple connections
Old May 1, 2007, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I believe that most people will, take Th/Fr off rather than Mo/Tu if they take time off. The 4th isn't as big of a travel holiday, IMHO, as Labor Day or Memorial Day because it's a drinking beer & grilling & fireworks type vacation. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I'm moving this to mileage run discussion instead of MR deals.

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator

You are actually correct. Flights (at least on CO) were cancelled like crazy on 4 July. I was on two of them. (and of course.. rebooked.).
Old May 4, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
You're coming from NYC so my $.02 may not be of much help:

4th of July is a big travel time for PHX folks to go to cooler spots--- and in fact, I've gotten bumped the past 3 4th of july weekends running-- always on the outbound out of PHX on the Thurs/ Fri. before the holiday. In fact, by 4th of July bumps have been more reliable than even "prime" Thanksgiving/ Christmas times. Of note, UA to DEN and ORD tend to be especially bad- to the point where staff hasn't even asked for volunteers but have pretty much gone directly to involuntary because there's next to nothing to protect folks on. Now, this year may be different as the 4th completely bisects the weekend, whereas in the past few years the holiday has lent itself well to a 3-4 day weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.