Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

100,000 BIS in 19 days? (EXP in Jan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100,000 BIS in 19 days? (EXP in Jan)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This thread popped up on my search and I didn't realize right away it is from 2007. I was really confused for a minute.

Anyway, I've flown with wana and can verify he enjoys flying, is a genius, is a go-with-the-flow kinda guy, showers daily, eats well, is proactive in abolishing foot odor and uses various items as eyeshades when napping inflight.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:12 pm

I'm assuming the laptop is fixed now. Perhaps a detailed update? Curious minds need to know!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:47 am

Absolutely beautiful! Wonder if getting lifetime status on all the airlines is the goal now?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:00 am

Wow, felt tired just reading the OP's itinerary on the 1st page. I realize it's from 2007, was wondering if it was repeated for 2008?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Wow, felt tired just reading the OP's itinerary on the 1st page. I realize it's from 2007, was wondering if it was repeated for 2008?
bump, it's 2009! (btw, i think qualifying in early 2007 means it lasts thru feb '09, no?)
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:54 am

Absolutely remarkable. The planning was impeccable... Hats off to you...
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by c_stanley
Would it be rude if I asked for a little basic background though? What (in broad terms) do you or did you do for a living, and what stage of life are you in, retired, young and single, etc?
Young and single, I like challlenges, and self employed.
Good health, good shape, plenty of energy - in the only stage in life this woudl make sense to me at.
I would not try this 10 years from now (let alone 30 or 50).
And would you say the primary reason for doing this is a cost/benefit calculation, like "my time is worth X and by spending it this way I can more profit than I would by working to earn money gaining cash instead,"
Some years back, I did do runs on the above basis, where I calculated certain (undocumented) series of MRs to be a better use of my time from a $/week perspective than any other current options.
is it the sense of accomplishment, the idea that you're doing something difficult and succeeding, ie fixing your own car rather than paying a repairman to do it?

I imagine it's a bit of each, but just curious to know a little more about why someone would choose to do this, what your values are.
The above describes the primary reason I undertook this challenge.
Originally Posted by PDX_Roy
250,000 miles are worth 2 business class tickets to Australia with stopover in NZ which usually sell for $10,000 each.
250,000 are worth:
- the lowest cost of getting 250,000 any way possible
(This can be done in a number of programs at will without flying or other extreme activity for about $6500 USD)
- A ticket to Australia in F is worth the maximum cash you would pay for it.
(For many this might be around $4,000, not the going price!)
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Some people think a great vacation is sitting on a beach zoning out for three weeks. I think that's a complete bore and a waste. The OP's trip, on the other hand, strikes me as an extremely fun and interesting vacation, a wild ride. It makes perfect sense to me.

de gustibus non disputandum est.
Yes, it was pretty much!
A challenge I can look back on, adventure, a story to tell.... I look back very glad I did it!
Sure. But that time is equivalent to money, can't just skip that part. Most people work about 22 days a month and 1/3 of the day or so (8 hours). So 19 days of 100% working on this 24/7 is not that different from 2-3 months of an office job, in terms of hours.
Yes, and the nice thing is this kind of 19 days of excellent working didn't kill (or harm) me. 19 days of 100% working in most other scernarios would kill me!
Time is a valuable commodity. I couldn't do a repeat this month or next if I wanted to because of time. But I am very glad I took the time to do the many MR challenges I have.
Originally Posted by jef7
This is definitely insane, but for those who 'get' it, and 'love' it, it's an absolutely beautiful run.
Thank You!

Today, a couple years later, the most comfortable way for an EXP to MR without breaking the bank would still be using similar routes to this one. The AA policy of upgrade priority based on date of purchase could also favor this kind of run, although schedule changes requiring ticket reissue do reset this date.

If I plan future domestic AA runs, I will keep my eye out for fares that allow me to include the SFO-JFK-SFO 763 flights, the LAX-JFK-LAX 762 flights, or/and any of the other routes where AA runs a limitted number of international configured aircraft. These routes have included: ORD-DFW-ORD, ORD-MIA-ORD, ORD-SFO-ORD, ORD-LAX-ORD, BOS-ORD-BOS, DFW-MIA-DFW, DFW-LAX-DFW, LAX-MIA-LAX, MIA-JFK-MIA, MIA-BOS-MIA and perhaps one or two others I can't remember off the top of my head (also the 763 hawaii flights). While getting international aircraft using cheap domestic fares can be quite the difficult puzzle, some will find it satisfying to solve!

I recently flew to Hawaii on AA (DEN-DFW-HNL roundtrip, less than $300 all in). Booked the 763 flights and my upgrades did clear.
Good point. I guess if you can work your normal job on a plane it's like working two jobs at the same time without too much extra effort and doubling your "salary."
I have been able to do that to a limitted extent. However don't expect a lot of other work out of yourself if doing more than two days of back to back flying; you need the time in the air to sleep and the time on the ground to eat/shower/exercise and be in the right places at the right times for the next flights.
Originally Posted by Karl
What is the best way to set up the MR runs for AA? Do you work on the AA site and get these prices or go to a private company like Orbitz?
One of these days I may write my own version of the FT guide how to book a MR. I use a combination of tools and planning takes a lot of time to do well. The puzzle makes the most sense as an enjoyable hobby.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Angeleno228
I had/have decided not to post my 2005/2006/2008 puzzles.

You have my 2004 and 2007 records for your reading pleasure.

I continue to travel a lot but more on Star/Skyteam now than OneWorld (due to the international destinations I need to go to). I will sadly loose my AA EXP status, falling to lifetime Platinum. Meanwhile Star and Skyteam top tiers will be earned and retained.

Perhaps one day I will earn both lifetime Star and lifetime Skyteam status, although Star alliance is the far more important one to me. I will not, however, attempt to make these statuses primarily through MRing...though its an intriguing puzzle.

If I were to choose a carrier for 100K/year of primarily domestic travel, AA would still be my carrier of choice, assuming I live in a city like ORD well served by AA. From a frequent flyer program standpoint, AA wins (at the 100K/year level) if you want tons of domestic upgrades + some free international upgrades. UA is number 2. CO will be #3, DL #4, and US #5. I have significant experience will all of these carriers and programs. So, I am sad to leave AA EXP but don't feel compelled to keep it this year just for its own sake.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Jan 7, 2009 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I have MR envy..........
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:14 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
...Summary: It was a major success, 104K BIS posted to AA in a timely manner, but AA refused to tell me if is was a record making EXP in Jan....
I made EXP by Jan 20 or 21st one year, but not doing any MRs. It was entirely due to necessary (and unplanned) business travel. Basically used most of 2 OWE tickets flying in F (only need 67K bis miles for EXP). Sleeping on the plane 5 days a week (I had 6 hotel nights in 3 weeks of travel); even with the flat beds in F this was quite tiring, esp. as during the day I was working a real job which was fairly demanding. Cost for airfare was about USD 20K -- so definitely not MR worthy. But anyone could do this, and if they really tried could make EXP in 15 days. Even in 10 days if they were really crazy (in 2009 that can be done for USD 5K with a bit of planning, flying business class which now has flat beds on quite a few airlines so less need to fly F).

Congratulations on your achievement. The planning is admirable.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
I made EXP by Jan 20 or 21st one year, but not doing any MRs.
Congrats. What I was actually asking AA was not the earliest completion date but the number of days flying. As things turned out, I had completed EXP in 18 days. I am guessing others have done shorter; there was a some sort of competition planeed last year that I am not sure the result of.

Even in 10 days if they were really crazy (in 2009 that can be done for USD 5K with a bit of planning, flying business class which now has flat beds on quite a few airlines so less need to fly F).
Yes, I think the record breaker would be either 8 or 9 days if there was a major competition with $$$$$ available.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE51-1/100.34.20; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

and I though I was crazy with my upcoming 37k bis miles in 9 days this february...

Totally insane, but I like the op's approach
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I made EXP by Jan 20 or 21st one year, but not doing any MRs. It was entirely due to necessary (and unplanned) business travel. Basically used most of 2 OWE tickets flying in F (only need 67K bis miles for EXP). Sleeping on the plane 5 days a week (I had 6 hotel nights in 3 weeks of travel); even with the flat beds in F this was quite tiring, esp. as during the day I was working a real job which was fairly demanding. Cost for airfare was about USD 20K -- so definitely not MR worthy. But anyone could do this, and if they really tried could make EXP in 15 days. Even in 10 days if they were really crazy (in 2009 that can be done for USD 5K with a bit of planning, flying business class which now has flat beds on quite a few airlines so less need to fly F).

Congratulations on your achievement. The planning is admirable.
Doing a couple trips like that would probably get you Global Services on United.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Forgive me if this was asked/answered, but where do you stay at night? Do you just sleep at the airport and occasionally at your friends' houses? Obviously staying at a hotel would somewhat hurt your cent/mile ratio but I wouldn't blame you if you did

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.