Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
What's everyone doing now? Calling Orbitz?

I am absolutely speechless at the way this was handled. My account is now showing flights from toronto to boston, toronto to new york and of course Toronto to Toronto!

... is that? I bought a ticket from Toronto to Cyprus, not Boston!!! And all of this without any email notification or a phone call.
I'm preparing a complaint letter to DOT: [email protected].
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
I'm preparing a complaint letter to DOT: [email protected].
I am curious what the USDOT is going to do about an EU carrier regarding a ticket from Canada to Cyprus.

Maybe you could shed some light on this.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by heathriel
I'm wondering something here -

How many people use Orbitz regularly and have not been cancelled yet vs. have been?

I've been in stasis (no ticket numbers issued, but not cancelled) since yesterday (but return leg mysteriously disappeared) but have booked over $40,000 worth of airline travel on Orbitz in the past year.

I wonder how many people were cancelled immediately that had no other travel, or very little, booked. (Even those with ticket numbers.)
I am a regular user of Orbitz and have been since its earliest days. I was cancelled.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold, AF Plat and other minors
Originally Posted by PJK
Since AZ is doing the cancelling, and not the travel-agents... I guess that's of no importance...
Sorry, but I think you are wrong..... People who used Travelocity got there ticket!

Orbitz handles the situation very very badly....and Alitalia...is Alitalia...they act the same way as they did with my J flight MRS-Zurich....just badly.

What is the strategy for Canadian resident? Who we should complain?

aad665
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by ohioflyer
A supervisor at Orbitz has just told me that "over 500 of these things" were booked at Orbitz yesterday.
I can see why they'd be so upset. 500 tix at $3900/tik is $1.95 million USD... on Orbitz alone. 500 tickets would seem to be well over the normal booking rate for that route. Talk about virul marketing!

If I were in mass media right now, I'd be drooling. No matter how this turns out, Atalia is going to get some free press (let's hope they don't screw it up like NW and CoachChoice), and there's going to be alot of unhappy people (even if ticket-in-hand pax are honored, there sounds like there's a lot of confirmed and charge who are going to get refunds and thank-yous).

Steve B.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by whlinder
I am curious what the USDOT is going to do about an EU carrier regarding a ticket from Canada to Cyprus.

Maybe you could shed some light on this.
US point of sale for most of the affected tickets.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PJK
Since AZ is doing the cancelling, and not the travel-agents... I guess that's of no importance...
Why is it that only my Orbitz trips are showing as cancelled while the Travelocity ones still appear to be good to go?

Orbitz is making a habit of doing this.

Called a friend of a friend who works at the company that backends travelocity.ca.

They are definitely aware of the situation, and he tells me AZ has attempted to do what they did to most (all?) of the Orbitz/CheapTickets itineraries - that is, reject the bookings post-ticketing. An "inavalid fare" message has been recieved by Travelocity from AZ, along with the space on the AZ flights being pulled, just as with Orbitz/CT.

From what I am hearing, Travelocity is taking a more confrontational stance (his quote: "They can't do that") than Orbitz, but I'm no travel agent, so who knows?

Bottom line: to call the Travelocity bookers "safe" by virtue of their online status not changing is premature. Although one's Travelocity booking may appear intact online, it may not reflect its true status.

Yes, but are the US agencies deciding to cancel, or is it directed from AZ?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by LapLap
It would be interesting to know by how many different people...
And how many unique buyers had 10+ reservations. And what the max reserveration booked by one person was.

Can you imagine if someone bought 30 of these for a travel group?!?!

Steve B.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I can see why they'd be so upset. 500 tix at $3900/tik is $1.95 million USD... on Orbitz alone. 500 tickets would seem to be well over the normal booking rate for that route. Talk about virul marketing!

If I were in mass media right now, I'd be drooling. No matter how this turns out, Atalia is going to get some free press (let's hope they don't screw it up like NW and CoachChoice), and there's going to be alot of unhappy people (even if ticket-in-hand pax are honored, there sounds like there's a lot of confirmed and charge who are going to get refunds and thank-yous).

Steve B.
You'd think it would not be that hard for them to prorgam some "alert" on their own if a slew of business tickets are suddenly sold for under $100. It's through their own negligence that they have not invested in something like this to limit their losses. It's sure not my fault.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Actually, in a case like this, wouldn't the travel agent (Orbitz, Travelocity, CheapTickets) hold more responsiblity since they actually sold the ticket in the US. Just a thought.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:51 am
Suspended

Now my CheapTickets ticket (with ticket number) has been cancelled. No notification either.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by whlinder
Yes, but are the US agencies deciding to cancel, or is it directed from AZ?
A nice cheaptickets customer svc. agent just told me it was coming from AZ. FWIW, cheaptickets has given me in my case only one option: full refund of all monies charged to CC, including the delivery fee.

I'm sure the 'I'm calling a lawyer' debate can now begin in earnest, but if I do get all USD$235.73 refunded back to my CC in a timely manner, I won't be out a cent. Does that mean I am okay with AZ or think they were right to do what they did? Absolutely not.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why is it that only my Orbitz trips are showing as cancelled while the Travelocity ones still appear to be good to go?

Orbitz is making a habit of doing this.
Yet more evidence that friends shouldn't let friends shop at Orbitz. I tell everyone I know, every chance I get, to avoid Orbitz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.