Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alien
Posts relating to the inappropriate, neh, illegal change of the fare rules by AZ subsequent to original ticketing have been stressing the retraction of allowed date and stopover changes. Seems to me the greatest impact on these new rules is no refunds. This has far greater import on the egregious nature of this action...
The no-refunds rule changes won't stick, and it's the one I'm least worried about. If the airlines or travel agents believe that they can prevent refunds without a customer having recourse to get back their funds then they are dreaming.

A simple credit card chargeback with documentation from this thread is more than sufficient grounds for the credit card company to back up their customer pursuing a refund.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This is very different than the story I got from CT. I called the 888 # today, as both of my reservations had ticket numbers, but no tickets were ever shipped, and both showed as canceled, and the $ were refunded back to my card. When I called, the woman who answered was familiar with the situation, and said my first (Aug) booking was already reinstated, and just not 'pushed' to the 'My Trips' screen, she did this, and I could see it immediately. However, no booking class is listed at all on this screen, and it has me leaving from YYZ and returning to EWR. They somehow missed my last EWR to YYZ tail...which would be fine with me, as I am from NY, but I don't want AZ to come back and tell me I didn't book a full RT. I then had her look at my second itin (Sept), and this one was canceled due to AZ not having ANY capacity to move me from YYZ to Italy on the days booked. I complained, stating that with ticket numbers I should have had seats, and if they don't have the seats, they need to protect me on another flight or airline, but I was told that "CT is fighting for this, but ultimately its up to what AZ tells us..." I was then put on hold for over and hour, and finally hung up on...so from my phone call I got back one trip, but I think I now have more questions than I did before!
Originally Posted by beaubo
Just got off the phone with Archie at 888-378-9638 at Cheap Tickets.

AZ is in receipt of all the CT 'fare mistake' itins that generated ticket numbers. AZ is in the process of reinstating all of these tickets. CT will 'likely' send out an 'automated email' with the reinstated itins once that process is complete. However, Archie could not advise as to the timetable for reinstatement of tickets. After I asked Archie if there were any other mitigating circumstances that I should be aware of, he said,

"THE REINSTATEMENTS ARE A QUESTION OF WHEN, NOT IF".

All my CT itins have been noted by Archie as eligible for reinstatement. Since most of my flights are Aug/Sep/Oct, I'm in no rush. The certainty, not the speed of resolution has always been my goal.

BTW, I did NOT ask him about any of the possible fare rule issues (date changes, etc.) as I didn't want to muddy the waters!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Am on the phone right now with Orbitz regarding the fare rules - will post results as soon as I'm done...
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:08 pm
Suspended

According to the Orbitz supe. I spoke to, the rules on the 39.00 CAD fare are basically unrestricted again, and the current "nasty" rules are being shown due to a *technical* glitch of some kind. The agent specifically compared the rules in her system, and saw what I was seeing on the website vs. what she is currently seeing. She is forwarding the matter to the Technical Department, so that the proper (unrestricted) fare rules will show on the website.

Unfortunately, she also stated that any change made to the booking will result in a reprice by Orbitz. The restoration of the old rules leave open the possibility of working directly with Alitalia for changes, I suppose.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Unfortunately, she also stated that any change made to the booking will result in a reprice by Orbitz. The restoration of the old rules leave open the possibility of working directly with Alitalia for changes, I suppose.
Thanks for your work and sharing your findings.

The possiblity you mention of working directly with AZ is the option I'm likely to follow for date changes to avoid repricing.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks for your work and sharing your findings.

The possiblity you mention of working directly with AZ is the option I'm likely to follow for date changes to avoid repricing.
From what little I've just gathered from a Palermo AZ rep. (who couldn't read my fare rules but gave commentary on how AZ generally handles restricted tickets), it seems as if AZ normally pushes for repricing for any changes before departure, but then only goes on booking class availability (and does not reprice) for changes done after departure.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:34 pm
Suspended

From what little I've just gathered from a Palermo AZ rep. (who couldn't read my fare rules but gave commentary on how AZ generally handles restricted tickets), it seems as if AZ normally pushes for repricing for any changes before departure, but then only goes on booking class availability (and does not reprice) for changes done after departure.
Sounds about right, particularly in regards to principally looking for booking class inventory when making changes to tickets they believe would have some flexibility.

My experience with AZ etickets -- business restricted and business unrestricted -- is that a sizeable number of AZ reps will push for repricing before departure but there's always a better number of reps willing to make changes before departure without a repricing as long as the fare rules that I read to them indicate that changes are permitted and I sound rather authoritative.

.... and there are even more reps willing to make changes after departure without repricing. How this will work out with paper tickets, I'm less certain.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by zeusscu
I'm so sad I missed this one! Have to keep on the forums 24-7 it seems.
You're only a week or so late.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:25 pm

According to the Orbitz supe. I spoke to, the rules on the 39.00 CAD fare are basically unrestricted again, and the current "nasty" rules are being shown due to a *technical* glitch of some kind. The agent specifically compared the rules in her system, and saw what I was seeing on the website vs. what she is currently seeing. She is forwarding the matter to the Technical Department, so that the proper (unrestricted) fare rules will show on the website.

When I spoke with an Orbitz rep today she said this: yes, she can see the different fare rules than those which are displayed for my reservation in my account, and she agreed that she could make a change without repricing if the following conditions are met: 1. only the return flights dates are being changed. she said if I wanted to change the YYZ-LCA segments she would have to reprice 2. she could find availability for the same fare code (D). for example, if there is no D availability on LCA-MXP and I agree to sit in coach, she would have to reprice.

then she said she would try to do the change I wanted and put me on hold, when she came back she said she could not change my reservation because Orbitz system does not have my reinstated and changed (by AZ) itin, it shows it as it was before reinstatement, and she said that she spoke with AZ and they told her that I should visit one of their offices and they would be able to change my reservation and issue new tickets. she said she added a note to my reservation that Orbitz agrees that a change can be made without repricing
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:16 pm

Anyone have any luck in getting CT to do date changes? I'm gonna call tomorrow morning, but I figured I'd ask anyway to see if there's a strategy I should take. My last call to them did not go so well.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:33 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

Originally Posted by Travel Man
I second your opinion. ^ There is no reason to bargain as we have D class @:-)
Nope, nope, nope. You guys are not seeing my point.

1) Alitalia has CHANGED the fare rules to favor THEM.
2) They can keep them changed and not honor the origonal rules.
3) There is nothing I can do about it except take them to court which I am not willing to do.
4) By offering them two sets of business class seats in exchange for date changes on the other two $200 B-Class ticket, I think I have a win-win because I get to go when I want to, not the dates I booked.

Again, Alitalia has CHANGED the fare rules, and there is little any of us can do about it.

I have my reasons and am willing to give two tickets back for date changes on the other two. If I'm successful in doing this and other can't get their dates changed, I'm going to look pretty good. If not, I'm in the same boat with everyone else, no further loss there. They can't simply cancel the flights I want to "trade" if I ask for this, they'd most likely just say no and stick to the changed fare rules and say tough luck. Then I'd have to cancel the trips because I can't and don't want to go on the dates I booked. I specifically booked the tickets due to the fare rules that said you could change dates.

CF
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CART_Flagman

3) There is nothing I can do about it except take them to court which I am not willing to do.
4) By offering them two sets of business class seats in exchange for date changes on the other two $200 B-Class ticket, I think I have a win-win because I get to go when I want to, not the dates I booked.

Again, Alitalia has CHANGED the fare rules, and there is little any of us can do about it.

I have my reasons and am willing to give two tickets back for date changes on the other two. If I'm successful in doing this and other can't get their dates changed, I'm going to look pretty good. If not, I'm in the same boat with everyone else, no further loss there. They can't simply cancel the flights I want to "trade" if I ask for this, they'd most likely just say no and stick to the changed fare rules and say tough luck. Then I'd have to cancel the trips because I can't and don't want to go on the dates I booked. I specifically booked the tickets due to the fare rules that said you could change dates.

CF
If you read my previous posts, the "unrestricted" fare rules from the time of purchase are back. No need to appease Alitalia.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:31 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

If you read my previous posts, the "unrestricted" fare rules from the time of purchase are back. No need to appease Alitalia.

What the!!!!!!!??????????

What page/thread # is this on?

A big ^

CF
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by CART_Flagman

CF
1) They can't unilaterally change the fares to suit THEM after I paid under and agreed to a certain fare code...they have accepted my booking and are simply reinstating the ORIGINAL booking.

2) No, they can't IMHO. When they reinstate the tickets they have to honor the original fare rules as well. Otherwise we'd have every airline booking (business class) bargain basement fares 6 months out, then saying a month later "oh wait, sorry...we changed the rules, you are now subject to the lowest class fare rules, mate!"

3) I have no interest in taking them to court either. But if they don't put me in business class, and honor my original booking which is what I paid for, I expect they will put me in BIZ on another comparable flight. Even if I paid a lower fare than they usually get, I paid for business! Refer to #2...

4) WHY offer anything? I have a valid reservation! Yeah, so are you saying under your rules I should be able to change in my two BIZ class seats for 4+ coach seats? That'd be great (for ME) since I am going on vacation with this fare. Two vacations for $39...excellent! Where do I sign up????
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:55 pm
aly

Excellent news on the old fare rules being respected!!
On another note, and after reading the various threads I need some help on choosing how to go about crediting the points; i have 4 tkts booked, 3 this year and the last one jan 07. Should i credit AZ mille miglia via cdn registration or us registration to fully benefit from skyteam and elite(+) benefits...?-am presently a FB member with 145K.

Thks again!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.