Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Old Apr 6, 06, 5:11 pm
  #2131  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: usually DCA
Posts: 1,837
Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.

If you see a bankarmor truck with its door accidentally left open, would you walk up and grab the money? If you do take the money, you're committing a felony. Another example, if the bank ATM spits out an extra three hundres dollars on top of the amount you punched in, do you keep the money or notify the bank?

Sure... Alitalia may decide to honour the tickets, but that doesn't change the fact that you have essentially taken advantage of their unfortunate mistake.

I don't think FlyerTalk forums were created to help people find steals like this. It is even worse when thousands of fellow members who jumped on the deal without any shame and decency. What kind of message are you sending to your children?

What surprised me even more was that the moderators of the forum has done nothing... What does Mr. Randy Peterson have to say about this?
Usually this post comes along much earlier in the mistake fare thread....
haveric is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:12 pm
  #2132  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 4,840
Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.

If you see a bankarmor truck with its door accidentally left open, would you walk up and grab the money? If you do take the money, you're committing a felony. Another example, if the bank ATM spits out an extra three hundres dollars on top of the amount you punched in, do you keep the money or notify the bank?
Not even close to what happened here.

I'm guessing you're not going to LCA.
johnep1 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:13 pm
  #2133  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 32,449
Ah, it's Troll time. Are you related to Sarah?

Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:13 pm
  #2134  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Posts: 6,766
Originally Posted by PHLDividends
Either way, it's not the customer's fault, and Orbitz, as the agency, should fight for the customer. I called yesterday after booking, and was told by a CSR at Orbitz that the reservation was fine, and that it would be ticketed. If AZ refuses to honor it, Orbitz should stand up for the customer. If Orbitz won't do that, then I will not use them. If they WILL do that, I'll send them a lot of my business.
Orbitz *IS* fighting, via the global media no less. The one thing Orbitz cannot do is force Alitalia to honor the bookings - it can kick, fuss, fight, scream, and beg, but ultimately, the final decision does rest in Alitalia's hands. Remember, Orbitz is an AGENT of Alitalia, not of the passenger.
HeathrowGuy is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:14 pm
  #2135  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,939
Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.

If you see a bankarmor truck with its door accidentally left open, would you walk up and grab the money? If you do take the money, you're committing a felony. Another example, if the bank ATM spits out an extra three hundres dollars on top of the amount you punched in, do you keep the money or notify the bank?

Sure... Alitalia may decide to honour the tickets, but that doesn't change the fact that you have essentially taken advantage of their unfortunate mistake.

I don't think FlyerTalk forums were created to help people find steals like this. It is even worse when thousands of fellow members who jumped on the deal without any shame and decency. What kind of message are you sending to your children?

What surprised me even more was that the moderators of the forum has done nothing... What does Mr. Randy Peterson have to say about this?
Stealing = paying $185-$206? No.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:14 pm
  #2136  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,884
Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.

If you see a bankarmor truck with its door accidentally left open, would you walk up and grab the money? If you do take the money, you're committing a felony. Another example, if the bank ATM spits out an extra three hundres dollars on top of the amount you punched in, do you keep the money or notify the bank?

Sure... Alitalia may decide to honour the tickets, but that doesn't change the fact that you have essentially taken advantage of their unfortunate mistake.

I don't think FlyerTalk forums were created to help people find steals like this. It is even worse when thousands of fellow members who jumped on the deal without any shame and decency. What kind of message are you sending to your children?

What surprised me even more was that the moderators of the forum has done nothing... What does Mr. Randy Peterson have to say about this?
You are trolling. Obviously you have not seen a fare mistake before. You don't like the ethics? Don't read the thread.

Welcome to FT.
SchmutzigMSP is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:14 pm
  #2137  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 59
congrats

for those ticketed, have a great trip(s) -- guess I missed by an hour or so.
Serves me right for not checking FT before work.
HammarMA is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:14 pm
  #2138  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Marylebone
Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,873
up and down, up and down... oy what a rollercoaster.
SEAUAKID is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:15 pm
  #2139  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Too many to count, too few to mention.
Posts: 1,480
Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.
Jealous?

You know, .... happens. Ever bought a ticket on the 1st of March instead of the 3rd of January (the US is the only country that has their dates screwed up). What does the airline say if you make a mistake?

Sorry! You have to pay a $200 fee to change the dates.

You win some, you lose some. It has to go both directions.

So take your snide comments elsewhere.
UA 882 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:15 pm
  #2140  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 11,351
FWIW, Cendant's stock ticker is CD.
Gardyloo is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:15 pm
  #2141  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SJC and AUS
Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by FlyerHigher
Also, that BS about how this is the time and moment the companies need to prove themselves and honor their mistakes is just garbage as well as how you'll be a new lifetime customer blah blah blah...do you think they'll read your post and then honor the ticket because you say that?
I use Travelocity exclusively for accomodations, activities, and usually airfare (if I don't book it through the carrier). Why? Because with the Fiji fiasco, they proved that if they sell it, they'll at least do what they can to make sure you get it.

Nobody's talking about bailing on Travelocity (et al.) if this fare doesn't work out. Read between the lines. Everyone knows AZ screwed the pooch on this one, not Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. However, it would be extraordinary if we knew that the companies we book our travel with can be depended on to fight for us, whatever the outcome. I'm not going to bail on Travelocity if this fare doesn't go through -- I will, however, be that much more loyal to them if I know they tried to make this one work.
sjc_longhorn is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:15 pm
  #2142  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco
Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Posts: 2,748
like some people and coupon codes?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...75&postcount=7

Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.
snorkmaster is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:16 pm
  #2143  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: new york, ny, usa
Posts: 13,537
i got ticket numbers on mine but my parents got:

"[email protected]
Orbitz Record Locator:


Dear Valued Orbitz Customer,

We regret to inform you that, due to limited availability, the airline
was not able to confirm the
flights you requested. Therefore, no tickets have been issued for this
trip and your credit card has
not been charged.

Situations like this are rare; however, when they do occur we attempt to
contact our customers
immediately as to avoid missing out on advance purchase opportunities.
To help you understand how this situation could occur:

Orbitz is a full service travel agency. Our advanced search engine
searches two billion fares
within seconds from over 450 airlines. Our secure on-line booking system
accesses fares and
availability from the same central reservation systems that other travel
agents and airline
reservation agents are booking from worldwide. As you can imagine, with
the extensive volume of
agents booking flights at any given time, availability for a particular
flight can be gone in an
instant. Therefore, when your ticketing request reached the airline,
availability for the flight(s) you
selected was no longer available.

The confirmation e-mail that you may have received is only an
acknowledgement that the flights
you selected for purchase have been sent to the airline for approval
prior to ticketing and does
not guarantee ticket issuance.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you
for your understanding.
We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the near
future.

Please click on the following link to make your new reservation
http://www.orbitz.com

Sincerely,

Orbitz Ticket Advisory Department
www.orbitz.com
Visit Planet Earth via Orbitz!"

any recourse?
fly co to see the yanks is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:17 pm
  #2144  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: JFK/GDL
Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Posts: 415
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Orbitz *IS* fighting, via the global media no less. The one thing Orbitz cannot do is force Alitalia to honor the bookings - it can kick, fuss, fight, scream, and beg, but ultimately, the final decision does rest in Alitalia's hands. Remember, Orbitz is an AGENT of Alitalia, not of the passenger.
Both Orbitz and Alitalia get a lot of press this way...this story will be all over the place by tomorrow, courtesy of the wire services. Same thing happened with US Airways and the ART tix. Just remember how much advertising is worth...companies pay over $1 million for a 30-second spot during the Superbowl and the Oscars. Alitalia and Orbitz will have their name seen by millions tomorrow over breakfast, and I'm sure it will spawn conversations about an airline and a booking service many ordinary people never knew existed!
miguel0881 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:17 pm
  #2145  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DCA
Posts: 677
Originally Posted by af250xxl
those people who took advantage of this are no better than thieves.

If you see a bankarmor truck with its door accidentally left open, would you walk up and grab the money? If you do take the money, you're committing a felony. Another example, if the bank ATM spits out an extra three hundres dollars on top of the amount you punched in, do you keep the money or notify the bank?

Sure... Alitalia may decide to honour the tickets, but that doesn't change the fact that you have essentially taken advantage of their unfortunate mistake.

I don't think FlyerTalk forums were created to help people find steals like this. It is even worse when thousands of fellow members who jumped on the deal without any shame and decency. What kind of message are you sending to your children?

What surprised me even more was that the moderators of the forum has done nothing... What does Mr. Randy Peterson have to say about this?
The reason I don't feel guilty is that my mistakes are not being forgiven by companies like Orbitz, airlines etc. and all other kinds of businesses. A small mistake could cause me thousands of dollars of loss and they don't give a damn, why should I?? I say screw corporations, they do whatever they want for the bottomline, they have no ethics but have all rights and considered a "person".
javabean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread