Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Extract from this article:
Italian airline Alitalia accidentally listed the business-class flight at $39 US on a central reservation system which feeds flight information to online booking agencies, said Brian Hoyt, director of public relations for Chicago-based Orbitz. Orbitz is the third-largest online travel agency based on gross bookings.

"We're in a global world of e-commerce where we're working on virtual platforms, and there have been infrequent occasions when incorrect pricing appears online," Hoyt said.

The round-trip airfare from Toronto to Cyprus, with a stop to switch planes in Italy, was available for multiple departing dates, Hoyt said.

"When red flags were set off, we pulled the rate, we got in contact with the airline in question, we had a conversation with them about what had occurred," Hoyt said.

"What the airline agreed to do was honour all of the fares that had been ticketed through Orbitz.com."

--more--
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by MrZhu
Mr. Zhu hopes that maybe the resloution allows him to drop the LCA leg. Mr. Zhu figures that AZ would like to let us cancel that leg since its on someone elses metal......

Mr. Zhu likes to dream.
Mr. Zhu seems unreasonably worried about the Cypriot DMZ that he referenced earlier.
Mr. Zhu should realize that Cypriot DMZ doesn't equal North Korea DMZ.
Mr. Zhu should enjoy Cyprus, and stop worrying so much!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
"What the airline agreed to do was honour all of the fares that had been ticketed through Orbitz.com."

I assume this means they will also honor those issued through Travelocity and Cheaptickets?

I also kinda assume that Orbitz released this just so AZ can't back out
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
According to this article, AZ will honor the Orbitz booking (no mention of travelocity, etc). This is the stand-up thing to do, but they had no real obligation to do it.

However, with this hitting the news now in this form - if the article is 'premature' with its assessment and AZ has not yet decided on whether to honor the tickets or not, this will definately heat up the soup pot. If AZ truly plans to back out, it will look much worse for them if the media declared they would honor the tickets.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/06042006/...flight-40.html

I have one set of reservations with ticket numbers, and one that never went through. It will be interesting to see what happens.

(edited: I should add a big )
From the sounds of this, it appears that if you were given a ticket number, you'll be flying. I'm fine with that

I wonder what 'red flags' set it off...like their ticket printer sending out 100s of tickets between YYZ and LCA?
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mateo4321
On the website? or on TV?

Link?
It was on CNN US (TV) covered by their internet reporter.
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CNN put it on right now. Who is responsible here.

Alitalia says they will honor the ticket.
Lets just be glad it will work out for the majority of us...

-Vincent
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It was on CNN US (TV) covered by their internet reporter.
cnn or headline news cnn?

Originally Posted by miguel0881
Mr. Zhu seems unreasonably worried about the Cypriot DMZ that he referenced earlier.
Mr. Zhu should realize that Cypriot DMZ doesn't equal North Korea DMZ.
Mr. Zhu should enjoy Cyprus, and stop worrying so much!
(barry) bonds on bonds = not exciting
mrzhu on mrzhu = .....

nice. cnn on this

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by bocastephen
According to this article, AZ will honor the Orbitz booking (no mention of travelocity, etc). This is the stand-up thing to do, but they had no real obligation to do it.

However, with this hitting the news now in this form - if the article is 'premature' with its assessment and AZ has not yet decided on whether to honor the tickets or not, this will definately heat up the soup pot. If AZ truly plans to back out, it will look much worse for them if the media declared they would honor the tickets.
They'll honor it...it will be picked up by the AP, and then every small-town newspaper in the US and Canada will run it tomorrow to fill the papers. It's a done deal for those with ticket numbers (which is all we ever really expect around here anyway, right?).
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dohvegas
Good news if CNN has it's facts straight! ^

Perhaps people posting their info in their messages would help... If there is any updated info for those without ticket numbers I'd appreciate it.

Booked Orbitz, no ticket number, not shipped, canceled with no notification.
They said those with ticket numbers will have their tickets honored while those would not were out of luck and then did a brief explanation about the difference between "ticketed" and "reserved"

Originally Posted by Renard
From the sounds of this, it appears that if you were given a ticket number, you'll be flying. I'm fine with that
Probably because you have a ticket number....
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:01 pm

"Orbitz will refund those customers who paid a service fee to the website but were not ticketed"

Mr. Zhu had not tickets numbers

On the bright side he can still get a refund on his flak jacket
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
Originally Posted by javabean
cnn or headline news cnn?
Yes, please which one?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
I'm not happy about this result - looks like those of us who had confirmation numbers (but the tickets were not yet issued) are out of luck. Again, I ask what does "your flight is confirmed" mean, then?

And I only bought one set of tickets.
I keep saying. Fares are not guaranteed until ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.