Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 18, 17, 3:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hillrider
Wiki Link
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 13, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by elva View Post
Which should actually work if ITA was smarter and accepted "nothing" as a valid input.
Doesn't make logical sense to fly on nothing (in that you literally can't fly on it). Plus, if any space between two characters could be a 'nothing' it makes it way harder to parse - it increases the potential parses of the input exponentially.
Old Sep 9, 13, 7:02 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Surprisingly ITA somehow recognizes as a valid input if you enter for example "DEN,[space]ORD" in routing code (which is very different from "DEN,ORD"). However it just drops the comma. My interpretation would be "transfer in DEN (optional) then transfer in ORD".

BTW, can anyone explain why don't I get options with 2 stops when I enter "DEN? ORD" and why do I get options with 3 stops when I enter "DEN ORD"?

For example from NYC to SFO.
Old Sep 9, 13, 9:04 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by elva View Post
Surprisingly ITA somehow recognizes as a valid input if you enter for example "DEN,[space]ORD" in routing code (which is very different from "DEN,ORD"). However it just drops the comma. My interpretation would be "transfer in DEN (optional) then transfer in ORD".

BTW, can anyone explain why don't I get options with 2 stops when I enter "DEN? ORD" and why do I get options with 3 stops when I enter "DEN ORD"?

For example from NYC to SFO.
We choose the fastest routes that obey the route restriction.

For "DEN? ORD", the NYC-DEN-ORD-SFO options are so slow that we can find hundreds of NYC-ORD-SFO options and never get around to constructing any NYC-DEN-ORD-SFO ones.

For "DEN ORD" we return some "direct" flights EWR-DEN on US that happen to have a stop in CLT. If you want nonstops you have to request them explicitly by something like "N DEN N ORD N"
Old Sep 19, 13, 7:21 am

Rookie question.

If I give Advanced Routing code only on one segment, the search comes up with no results although valid flights exist.

E.g..
NYC - BOM (want to search TK fares - Routing code TK)
BOM - NYC (same)
3x strike (do not want any routing code in this segment)

If I specify as above, it does not result in any result. I have a feeling that ITA is forcing the routing codes on other segments as well (3x).

If I remove the TK routing code the search results do not result in TK and higher fares

If I remove the 3x it displays as per the routing specified (TK flights) however, I am not able to specify the 3x
Old Sep 22, 13, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K
Adavance ITA tools

This question for the pro's which requires ITA to give fares for specific routing.

I would like to be able to specify specific fare buckets on certain routing.
Example as follows trip from YUL to PVG connects in LAX.
You can do the trip either YUL to LAX on AC metal then LAX to PVG with United, or code share YUL to LAX with United then LAX to PVG on united.

Sometimes codeshare is cheaper, how can you get both quotes from ITA the codeshare and the non codeshare pricing.
Old Sep 22, 13, 1:56 pm
KRS

Programs: Gold: Club Carlson/A3/IHG, Plat: SPG,Marriott, Diamond: Hilton,SAS
I have asked this before but don't believe anyone had any suggestions so I will try again:

Is there any way to search by a combination of day and departure/arrival time?
I.e.: depart Friday after noon OR Saturday before noon

Now I have to filter these out after searching or do 2 searches...
Old Sep 22, 13, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by camelari View Post
This question for the pro's which requires ITA to give fares for specific routing.

You can do the trip either YUL to LAX on AC metal then LAX to PVG with United, or code share YUL to LAX with United then LAX to PVG on united.

Sometimes codeshare is cheaper, how can you get both quotes from ITA the codeshare and the non codeshare pricing.
For fare choices, I think you can do a multicity search and just specify the fare bucket on each leg (/f bc=whatever).

For codeshares, I think you want o:XX where o indicates the flight is operated by a given airline and the XX is that airline's code.
Old Sep 23, 13, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K

Sorry for the confusion let me clarify

Looking to do a trip from AAA connecting in BBB and finally landing in CCC.

I would like to be able to specify fare bucket for each leg and if possible specific airlines for each leg.
Old Sep 24, 13, 1:10 am

Sorry for the confusion let me clarify

Looking to do a trip from AAA connecting in BBB and finally landing in CCC.

I would like to be able to specify fare bucket for each leg and if possible specific airlines for each leg.
So like....

(Where leg 1 is booked as airline XX (use o:XX for operated by XX) and in fare class j, leg 2 is booked as airline YY and in fare class k)
Old Sep 26, 13, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Originally Posted by zoonil View Post
If I give Advanced Routing code only on one segment, the search comes up with no results although valid flights exist...E.g..
NYC - BOM (want to search TK fares - Routing code TK)
You should use the routing code TK+ . Just TK means a direct TK flight from NYC to BOM, which of course does not exist.
Old Oct 13, 13, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by SeattleFred View Post
PREVENT OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLOR PLANES,
TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport chanes, no redeyes, no propellor planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop
What is the definition of a redeye vs an overnight? (To me, a redeye is an overnight flight that is under 11 hours, but I know many people use the term to mean any overnight flight of any duration.)
Old Oct 14, 13, 9:13 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
What is the definition of a redeye vs an overnight? (To me, a redeye is an overnight flight that is under 11 hours, but I know many people use the term to mean any overnight flight of any duration.)
In this particular case, as the explanatory text you quoted says, "overnight" refers to an overnight stop, i.e. you land on one day but the next flight departs on the next day.

Our definition of "redeye" in this context includes anything where you're flying during the wee hours of the morning at either the origin or destination.
Old Oct 14, 13, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Does ITA still have issues if the origin airports are from different countries?

E.g. If I enter Origin = "VIE, BUD, LJU, ZAG, MUC, VCE" and one or two destination airports (e.g. EZE, SCL), it almost always returns an error. Especially if a select a calendar search.

This worked without issues a couple of months ago.
Old Oct 17, 13, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
I have asked this before but don't believe anyone had any suggestions so I will try again:

Is there any way to search by a combination of day and departure/arrival time?
I.e.: depart Friday after noon OR Saturday before noon

Now I have to filter these out after searching or do 2 searches...
For this I use the Time Bar view sorted on departure time as a quick way to see all the evening and morning flights
Old Oct 18, 13, 11:24 am
NWR

Programs: UA 1K
Force stops with alliance

I'm trying to force a certain number of stops while searching by alliance. For example I'd like to limit the number of stops to not less than 3 stops with *alliance. Anyone know code that works? I've made the following pathetic tries with no luck:

/alliance star-alliance+
/alliance star-alliance; f f f
/alliance star-alliance alliance star-alliance alliance star-alliance

Search this Thread
Search Engine: