Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC*E50, PC Plat, SPG Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Question: - does ITA have the capability to sort flights by low base fares instead of low ai fares?
Old May 21, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Departing from: LHR::BA+ NYC <
Destination: NYC,MCO::> MCO BA+
Is it possible to make this work with reverse open jaws? If I put the brackets one way ITA throws me an error, the other way it does nothing.

eg: NYC,MCO:: > NYC
LHR:: MCO <

which seems to be the logical way putting them does nothing while any other combinations just throw a "there was a problem handling your request" error.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Is it possible to make this work with reverse open jaws? If I put the brackets one way ITA throws me an error, the other way it does nothing.

which seems to be the logical way putting them does nothing while any other combinations just throw a "there was a problem handling your request" error.
I was wondering the same thing
Old May 22, 2013, 5:20 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

I think maybe this is a bug (or obscure feature, maybe) in the route language, causing the above to require nonstop flight, which doesn't exist LHR-MCO. It works if you use
NYC,MCO:: > NYC f+
LHR:: f+ MCO <
instead.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:46 am

Awesome, thank you! Strange that ITA assumes non-stops by default and even more strange that I never tried it with specifying any carrier...

Also thank you for fixing most of the issues I mentioned a while back (not being able to submit 3 letter airport codes in the to/from field, etc); there are still some annoying quirks around but overall Matrix 2 got much better.

The most annoying (for me ) of the outstanding issues is the to/from autocorrect. When I type in an airport code in one go and tab away it's ok but if I need like half a second to think about a letter it has enough time to pull a list and use the first element on that when tabbing away. As an example: typing SXF and tabbing away will autocorrect to Berlin - but pause for a moment after typing in the first letter, like S--XF, tab away and you get San Francisco. One very simple solution for this is not to autocorrect when the To/From field gets a blur event if it has exactly 3 characters?

Speaking of advanced routing: I understand the need for selecting the whole input for From/To but could you please switch it off for routing codes? I, for one, need to change a letter or number here or there much more often than not and I'm pretty sure anyone using the routing codes field (as opposed to entering their carriers/connections in the To/From fields with "::") can deal with their text not being selected on focus.

And while we're at Berlin, would it be possible to set BER back to Berlin Metropolitan instead of Brandenburg please? Not like it's going to open anytime soon...

Also a somewhat related issue (still!) is the nearby airports link. Could you please "tabindex" it to the bottom of the list along with reverse route and remove routing codes so we can have a "From-tab-Routingcode-tab-To-tab-Routingcode-tab-Month/SpecificDate-tab-Calendar" route on the page?

When switching between whole month and specified dates, would it be possible to keep the date already entered? This is a very minor but extremely annoying thing.

The currency and sales city doesn't behave like the to/from fields, eg using USD for currency or BOS for sales city is not accepted as valid entries without waiting for the autocorrect to do it's job (or picking one item from the list).

There also seems to be an issue with the routing codes getting stuck when you select a previous query on the top. If only the current query used advanced routing then it will stuck (eg current one is "LHR:: BA+" and previous is "BOS" then it will be "BOS:: BA+"), and even more strange if both queries used routing codes then ITA will concat them. Eg "LHR:: BA+ /F BA..M-" currently and "BOS:: UA ~DEN UA" previously will become "BOS:: UA ~DEN UA /F BA..M-" when selecting the BOS search.

And is it possible to use a fare specification with other advanced codes, eg "/F BA..M-" and "/MAXCONNECT 4:00" together? Everything I tried so far have failed.

Last edited by FrankTalk; May 22, 2013 at 7:01 am
Old May 22, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
And is it possible to use a fare specification with other advanced codes, eg "/F BA..M-" and "/MAXCONNECT 4:00" together? Everything I tried so far have failed.
The following example should illustrate the syntax -

/ alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=L|bc=M; nocodeshares; minconnect 60; maxconnect 400

Last edited by aktchi; May 22, 2013 at 7:16 pm
Old May 22, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
The following example should illustrate the syntax -

/ alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=L|bc=m; nocodeshares; minconnect 60; maxconnect 400
Thanks!
Old May 22, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
I think maybe this is a bug (or obscure feature, maybe) in the route language, causing the above to require nonstop flight, which doesn't exist LHR-MCO. It works if you use
NYC,MCO:: > NYC f+
LHR:: f+ MCO <
instead.
Thanks! Had some trouble with this as well.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K
Specific Airlines per routing

Hi,

How do i code the following

Looking for Fares GCM to YUL

Routing is actually GCM to MIA with AA and then MIA to YUL.

However i want AC flight from MIA to yul.

How can i code the ITA to bring up both AA leg (GCM-MIA) and AC leg (MIA-YUL).

Also will it bring only direct flights or will it show connecting flights?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:19 am

GCM:: AA MIA AC
YUL

If you want connecting flights then you can use AA+ and/or AC+ instead.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:34 am

GCM:: AA MIA AC
YUL

If you want connecting flights then you can use AA+ and/or AC+ instead.
What if I wanted AA GCM-MIA and then AC but from FLL-YUL instead of MIA how would you code that?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by camelari
What if I wanted AA GCM-MIA and then AC but from FLL-YUL instead of MIA how would you code that?
Easiest is to use multicity

GCM:: aa
MIA

FLL:: ac
YUL

As FrankTalk aid, if you want to look at connecting flights too, use aa+ ac+ etc. in the respective segment.
If you are open to either aa or ac, use aa,ac for direct and aa,ac+ for direct & connections.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 19, 2013 at 9:36 am
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Easiest is to use multicity

GCM:: aa
MIA

FLL:: ac
YUL

As FrankTalk aid, if you want to look at connecting flights too, use aa+ ac+ etc. in the respective segment.
If you are open to either aa or ac, use aa,ac for direct and aa,ac+ for direct & connections.
What if we don't want multiple city.

I would like to pull up a through fare.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

The whole point of using ITA is that it "should" give you the best fare for a given set of flights, regardless of whether it's a "through fare", "open jaw", "multicity", or whatever. How you specify the flights you want is independent of how those flights will be priced once you find them.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Multi-city search doesn't necessarily necessitate an end-on-end combination of two fares. If the fare rules allow a stop at the break-point of your search, then it will return that fare even with the stop.

In fact, doing a multi-city search of AAA-BBB, BBB-CCC, CCC-DDD, DDD-EEE all on the same departure date is the exact equivalent of doing AAA-EEE and specifying BBB CCC DDD in the routing rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.