Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Time to quit Mileage Running/

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing

I had to cancel a MR this weekend because I came down with a cold. This gave me time to think about this hobby, and since Delta took over NW it hasn't been nearly as much fun. I was matched for CO, but since I can't seem to find any decent ex-MSP fares I am giving thought to just quitting altogether. Planes are full, and fares are up, and 2010 just doesn't seem to be a year it will be worth it.

I've only flown one business flight in the past 4 years of being PE, and all the rest have been MR's and personal trips. It will be sad to see it go, but maybe I should just concentrate on practicing for bow hunting.

I'll miss seeing the world, I suppose, but I guess my deer harvest will go up.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
just buy a z fare 50 days out when you want to go somewhere decent. beats bouncing around for nothing
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Early March is a bit early to be giving up on FF status. There is a lot of great fares and promos still to come this year.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Perhaps hotel or rental car points?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
I've traditionally done all my MR's in March and April TATL, as there are many other fun hobbies I enjoy the rest of the year. My year goes: Ice fishing, Mileage running, summer fishing, bow hunting, and then ice fishing again.

Since I never stay at hotels, or rent cars, I guess I could join one of those stupid gas station points clubs? I think it's going to be a tough addiction to quit.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I didn't know MR had a season
Its a 12 mo a year season for me
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
As an ex- NWA flyer, I can also say that this game has been less fun this year.

Not only because fares are higher this year than past years, but also the bennies just aren't worth it as much as they used to.

Shame that DL, my new home-carrier, took the fun out of my favorite hobby!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by bostonbali

Not only because fares are higher this year than past years, but also the bennies just aren't worth it as much as they used to.

+1
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by bostonbali

+2. NW elite status out of ATL used to mean NW doing hub-attacks against DL with occasional spot specials of the sub-$200 transcon variety. The merger eliminated the competition. AirTran can still discipline prices somewhat, but overall they're up, even before the fee-ing frenzy. If the product has improved any, it sure doesn't seem evident in coach.

As for the OP, the bottomest of bottom lines is you have to love to travel, especially if it's on your own dime. I could never do pure MRs for earning (would usually be 3-day weekends on now-scarce spot specials). Distance bias favored the west coast from here, if not farther afield. Standard rule was to bag the deal if rock bottom, and then do research enough to have the reason to go.

It sounds like the OP's outdoors hobbies lend themselves to being combined with travel, and that's usually good to build on.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
Originally Posted by kyushuman
+1
+3

While there are many stories told of NW being a lousy airline, in 15 years of predominantly flying them my experiences were never negative. In the short post-merger time I have already had several disappointing interactions with DL.
The disappearance of NW has led me to complete either focusing on a *A carrier or forgoing status with anyone. The OP makes good points that strike close to home for me.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never done an actual mileage run, but I've done plenty of unnecessary flying to get status. Last year was the most I've ever flown -- over 100K BIS miles, including 8 trips to Europe, all on my own dime and mostly on DL, but I did accidentally end up with 2P status on UA. Curse those tricked fares!

If another opportunity like the DL MAD fares comes up, I'll jump in, but presently I only expect to make GM if I stay with DL, and I don't expect I'll begin doing real mileage runs. I like to look around when I get there.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by PaulMSN

If another opportunity like the DL MAD fares comes up, I'll jump in, but presently I only expect to make GM if I stay with DL, and I don't expect I'll begin doing real mileage runs. I like to look around when I get there.
Good point. I'm also not saying "never"--DL does seem to make more mistakes than the rest!-- but I will likely stay at least GM, since I had 29K rollover miles to start the year. Now I have 30K--only 1K this year!--but I do have a KLM J class trip coming that will push me over 50K. Then that's it, unless DL makes some positive changes in SM. I already have BD*G, and UA*S, so I don't need to do much in terms of qualifying for the time being. I never did do the CO Plat match--I just don't really like flying those CRJs for 3 hours ex-MSP.
But I guess I should think about it for next year--maybe get a CO Plat match for 2011 after mid-year?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:38 pm

Time to use those accumulated points?

Yes, I know you don't get status with this, but if we patiently accumulate points through MR's, would this year then be the year to use some of them up? A coach fare upgraded to F costs 15k points, which is equivalent to $150 at a penny a mile on the recent US promo.

I have read enough to know there are other benefits to status, but wondering if this year might be one to just relax, burn some points and try next year.

From a newb's perspective, this might make more sense to me.

Unless of course the recent (questionable) AA upgrade to instant Gold comes thru...then heck yeah, I'm gonna fire on all cylinders for higher AA status!

Jim
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I did more of the types of trips which RustyC mentions above for leisure, but at the end of 2008 I pretty much pulled back. 2009 and 2010 have been burning down half of my 1M stash betwen AA and UA, barely making UA Premier this year, using my AA lifetime gold when needed, and otherwise beating on Southwest to avoid those nasty regional jets. I'm using my WN awards (I earn one every four months) for some discretionary domestic trips, and saving up for a potential run at AA EXP or DL PM in 2011 if I don't like Rapid Rewards 2.0 and my projects at work are in cities which set themselves up well (Phoenix and LA as opposed to Nashville and Harrisburg).

But I took my first RJ flight in four months on Friday, and I remembered what I hated about going after top-tier status.... too many flights on ERJ-145s, or god forbid CRJ-200s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.