Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Keter
I had the same issue. I thought QR is not available in the tool at all in regional first (despite permitted by fare rules) but indeed to CAI it is available. QR fuel charges are outrageous though...
so, to CAI for the final sector is fine but from CAI on the first sector, is not?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by surryson
so, to CAI for the final sector is fine but from CAI on the first sector, is not?
Correct and, any flights not from CAI. You could do SYD-DOH-CAI, but not the opposite. Again, that is only for using the online tool. If you call in it shouldn't be a problem.
surryson likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:48 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Hm ... I have a flight for CAI-ASU booked, however I cannot find the Order Number, PNR or e-ticket on LATAM, CheckMyTrip, Saudia (respectively), or any conventional method of checking. Anyone find this suspicious?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, AF Gold
But where did you book it?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:39 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by heliot2009
But where did you book it?
LATAM Peru website, sure why it went through Peru but here we are. CC charge had gone through and showing on my statement, with an email showing e-ticket numbers plated on 045. Hoping it's just a typical Latam glitch ...
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, FB plat, Hilton silver, IHG diamond
Booked mine on main Latam U.K. site about week ago and the Latam reservation came through by email very quickly. Hope your goes through
BA Humbug and cruser1 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Hm ... I have a flight for CAI-ASU booked, however I cannot find the Order Number, PNR or e-ticket on LATAM, CheckMyTrip, Saudia (respectively), or any conventional method of checking. Anyone find this suspicious?
you can find Qatar pnr on LATAM reservation, if you click to boarding pass section on LATAM desktop web-site only, not mobile or application
BA Humbug likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
*A has repriced their base fares. CRWSPCL shows $4,034, CRWSTAR1 $4,374, CRWSTAR2 $4,597.

OW still appears to be on the old prices though. I'm showing $2,714 for DONE3.
And now I noticed the *A base fare is denominated in USD, no longer EGP. So this could be game over forever.
Keter likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
And now I noticed the *A base fare is denominated in USD, no longer EGP. So this could be game over forever.
It may still violate the laws of Egypt. Even if the reinforcement is poor public opinion can make miracles these days - if someone finds a right way to shame greedy airlines for violating a weak country laws!
kalderlake and cruser1 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
It may still violate the laws of Egypt. Even if the reinforcement is poor public opinion can make miracles these days - if someone finds a right way to shame greedy airlines for violating a weak country laws!
If you were actually thinking about buying a ticket it might make sense to reach out to the Egyptian Consumer Protection Agency They seem to have an email contact but not sure if they would respond. But might be worth a try (if there is some law that actually requires prices in EGP). Again no clue if they have any bite but could be an approach. Another one might be Ministry of Tourism (or similar agency). Indicate that this seems to be a violation of national sovereignty or similar lines. No clue about success but if you have some free time might be worth an adventure... 😉🤔
​​​​​​

​​​​​
cruser1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:18 pm
Original Member

Anyone with ticketing experience who can advise how reissues will be calculated say if ex CAI fares (filed in EGP) are sold in USD or EUR outside Egypt?

I had an experience where I had to pay USD 100 extra to change a TK fare from PAR sold in USA for USD due to FX rate fluctuation. My understanding was:

1) New fare was calculated using historical prices
2) Taxes and fuel were calculated as of last ticketing date (note this means they are not 100% historic)
3) New ticket price in EUR compared to old price in EUR (country of commencement of travel currency)
4) and the variance in EUR was converted to USD at current rates

However, in reality new ticket price was calculated in USD at current FX rates (but under historic prices, note the taxes). Who know why was that? I read something that for EUR/ USD current exchange rates are taken unlike for other currencies but I cannot find where it comes from.

This kind of complexities may cost huge money to change even a flexible ticket due to the requirement from most airlines that new ticket price (rarely just fare nowadays) should be higher or equal than the original one.
Yes, there is a big risk involved in changing tickets ex-Cairo. I hold a new CRWSTAR ticket which states 'changes to dates/carriers /flights leading to rebooking/revalidation of any sector are permitted at no charge, provided ticketed points remain the same.' But in reality only date changes are possible. A change of carrier on just one sector was quoted to cost U$2400+ due to recalculation.
Not clear on what a cancellation with refund would look like. Probably expensive too.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:06 am

Programs: SQ TPP7, NZ*E, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Hotels in Cairo have be pricing and charging in USD for years, so good luck.
chrini1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by FoxPro
Yes, there is a big risk involved in changing tickets ex-Cairo. I hold a new CRWSTAR ticket which states 'changes to dates/carriers /flights leading to rebooking/revalidation of any sector are permitted at no charge, provided ticketed points remain the same.' But in reality only date changes are possible. A change of carrier on just one sector was quoted to cost U$2400+ due to recalculation.
Not clear on what a cancellation with refund would look like. Probably expensive too.
Like with any tickets like this, fly the first segment and then make changes. This is no different than an error fare that gets honored and I'm surprised people on FT aren't aware of that. As soon as the *A fare got pulled and repriced that should have been blatantly obvious.
izzik likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by FoxPro
. A change of carrier on just one sector was quoted to cost U$2400+ due to recalculation.
Choosing different carriers between the same ticketed points generates different "carrier-imposed surcharges". They are added to the base fare as a separate line in addition to taxes and base fare. Thus I would not expect to be able to swap freely between different carriers whether star alliance or oneworld. Cancelation fee is 150$ on star and 5% of the base fare on oneworld (for business) but before travel starts, after the start good luck in figuring it out.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:12 pm

I have booked a DONE4 fare with BA ex CAI. I have noted the rule which states that surface sectors are permitted "within the Middle East" but BA is insisting that Cairo is not classified as the "Middle East" for these purposes and is in North Africa. Based on what I have seen, this is clearly wrong and the significance of this is that I would like to end my trip in Dubai rather than Cairo if possible. Can anyone confirm whether BA is correct? If anyone has a copy of the relevant rules from IATA or otherwise as to the definitions of each region then please do share a screenshot so I can show BA!

Last edited by SASFlyer; Mar 20, 2024 at 12:30 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.