Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:52 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Maple Red
Thanks for the information. The ex-Cairo fares look great.

I have never purchased an around the world fare before; this may be my first. Obviously to get the lowest fare, the ticket's itinerary must begin and end in Egypt and the actual trip must begin in Egypt. But, what would be the penalty/consequence of not completing the journey in Egypt? For example, simply not flying the final segment into Cairo if the penultimate destination was a more convenient.

Might Star Alliance annul all the airmiles earned from the entire itinerary? Might Star Alliance block the traveler from purchasing future RTW itineraries?

Thanks in advance for sharing info with a RTW rookie.
It's like with all tickets that skip the last leg. Nothing will happen - unless you do this on a regular base. But the best strategy would be to put the last leg far in the future and use it as feeder flight for the next RTW
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
It's funny but I much agree with you having spent countless sleepless hours to do the same before they adjust their fares: both Oneworld DONE3 at 2642.28USD and Star Alliance CRWSPCL at 2364 make the propositions very alluring..
I do see these fares in expertflyer but can't price them out in the Star RTW tool even when staying well under 26k. Are there specific limits to look for? Or is that before fees, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:54 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by erik123
I do see these fares in expertflyer but can't price them out in the Star RTW tool even when staying well under 26k. Are there specific limits to look for? Or is that before fees, etc.
RTW are complicated and you have to follow many rules - like one pacific and one atlantic crossing, limited stopovers in one country, no backtracking, ...

Anyway the taxes and fees will put another 1000-2000 on the base fare price (depending on your routing). So you won't find a 2300 RTW - they start at around 3300 for the "smallest" version of the RTW fares. I could price many routings with all kinds of mileage.
erik123 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
This article from Travel Dealz may help.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:12 am

Are there specific limits to look for? Or is that before fees, etc.
The blog by travel-dealz referenced in the preceding post mentions some possible ways to minimize "taxes". I have had several bookings confirmed by LH and took note of price breakdown. For that use MS website which lists detailed breakdown of your quoted price. RTW fare that you see on expertflyer is "Base Fare" which with Fuel Surcharge, Insurance Charge and "Miscellaneous" add about 1k USD for the "Total Air Transportation Charges". Then you need to add government and airport taxes depending on the route and if you actually have a stopover.
cruser1 likes this.

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Mar 13, 2024 at 11:07 am
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
It's like with all tickets that skip the last leg. Nothing will happen - unless you do this on a regular base. But the best strategy would be to put the last leg far in the future and use it as feeder flight for the next RTW
Thanks for your insights; and good idea.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
The blog by travel-dealz referenced in the preceding post mentions some possible ways to minimize "taxes". I have had several bookings confirmed by LH and took note of price breakdown. For that use MS website which lists detailed breakdown of your quoted price. RTW fare that you see on expertflyer is "Base Fare" which with Fuel Surcharge, Insurance Charge and "Miscellaneous" add about 1k USD for the "Total Air Transportation Charges". Then you need to add government and airport taxes depending on the route and if you actually have a stopover. The cheapest total for 2 people I had was 7k USD, but more often the price is about 7.4-7.8USD, and in case when I considered Tahiti with UA/NZ n the mix the price shot up to over 8.7K USD!
There's no discount for 2 people and there's no surcharge for 3, 4, 5, 10 people as long as there is availability in the fare class. So why does every single post require us to do the math when you only quote your experience for 2 people. Most people do RTW fares alone, just tell us your per person price, that would be awesome.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
There's no discount for 2 people and there's no surcharge for 3, 4, 5, 10 people as long as there is availability in the fare class. So why does every single post require us to do the math when you only quote your experience for 2 people. Most people do RTW fares alone, just tell us your per person price, that would be awesome.
I have deleted the numbers so as not to inconvenience anyone.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, AF Gold
LA fare to ASU/MVD seems to be dead now, not only the lower one resulting from the EGP exchange rate, but also the original base fare has been withdrawn.
Keter likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by heliot2009
LA fare to ASU/MVD seems to be dead now, not only the lower one resulting from the EGP exchange rate, but also the original base fare has been withdrawn.
Probably Qatars flight bookings to South America GRU outta control!
heliot2009 and 135pilot like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by altalk08
Appreciate it, thanks. Would you happen to know which one would allow booking the most days out? Specifically, I am trying to book what was suggested above: a placeholder itinerary that I can rebook later on as far into 2025 as possible.
Oneworld's RTW tickets allow you 12 months of travel from the first flight on. So you could book an itinerary now that starts on January 10, 2025, book placeholder flights for now, and then after you fly the first leg, call to change the remaining dates for flights as late as January 9, 2026.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Maple Red
Thanks for the information. The ex-Cairo fares look great.

I have never purchased an around the world fare before; this may be my first. Obviously to get the lowest fare, the ticket's itinerary must begin and end in Egypt and the actual trip must begin in Egypt. But, what would be the penalty/consequence of not completing the journey in Egypt? For example, simply not flying the final segment into Cairo if the penultimate destination was a more convenient.

Might Star Alliance annul all the airmiles earned from the entire itinerary? Might Star Alliance block the traveler from purchasing future RTW itineraries?

Thanks in advance for sharing info with a RTW rookie.
Is it *possible*? Yes. Is there any realistic chance of it happening? Not really. Oneworld also lets you end the itinerary elsewhere in the Middle East, so you could fly into CAI and return to DXB or DOH, as an example.
LilZeppelin and Maple Red like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Oneworld's RTW tickets allow you 12 months of travel from the first flight on. So you could book an itinerary now that starts on January 10, 2025, book placeholder flights for now, and then after you fly the first leg, call to change the remaining dates for flights as late as January 9, 2026.
So the ticket is valid longer than 12 months after issue? I had a couple regular tickets from BA that are only valid for a year after the issuance.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:43 pm

So the ticket is valid longer than 12 months after issue? I had a couple regular tickets from BA that are only valid for a year after the issuance.
I'm currently flying an AA RTW that I booked in May of last year and that began in August. I was able to push my last flight, originally booked for April, out to August.
cruser1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm currently flying an AA RTW that I booked in May of last year and that began in August. I was able to push my last flight, originally booked for April, out to August.
That's nice I am not sure if ticket validity is carrier-specific but per rules "TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 12 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN."
When asked about RTW StarAlliance team were explicit that ticket is valid for 3 years, but must be completed 12 months after the first segment. It would be useful to have some official clarity from OW too
cruser1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.