FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Immediate turn around at JFK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/2088288-immediate-turn-around-jfk.html)

palesky Jul 25, 2022 5:05 am

Immediate turn around at JFK?

Hi There

I’m planning a Japan airline mileage run with the JL NYC-CGK C class discount fare plus the double FOP promo. Since I’m base in Asia, am I allowed to fly to JFK with JL on one ticket and fly out straight away with JL again on a different ticket same day same aircraft I flew with? I won’t have any check in luggages as I will only have a carry-on luggage only.

so my trip will be book on 2 tickets.
SIN-NRT-JFK return
JFK-NRT-CGK return
combine them which then become SIN-NRT-JFK-NRT-CGK-NRT-JFK-NRT-SIN.

Thanks~

nmsondrej Jul 25, 2022 5:33 am

Originally Posted by palesky (Post 34455554)
Hi There

I’m planning a Japan airline mileage run with the JL NYC-CGK C class discount fare plus the double FOP promo. Since I’m base in Asia, am I allowed to fly to JFK with JL on one ticket and fly out straight away with JL again on a different ticket same day same aircraft I flew with? I won’t have any check in luggages as I will only have a carry-on luggage only.

so my trip will be book on 2 tickets.
SIN-NRT-JFK return
JFK-NRT-CGK return
combine them which then become SIN-NRT-JFK-NRT-CGK-NRT-JFK-NRT-SIN.

Thanks~

I also wondered if this is doable on ESTA for us based in Europe :) Quite a lot of flying, just out of curiosity, whats the reward?

palesky Jul 25, 2022 5:37 am

Originally Posted by nmsondrej (Post 34455594)
I also wondered if this is doable on ESTA for us based in Europe :) Quite a lot of flying, just out of curiosity, whats the reward?

it’s for Japan airline JGC Premier status which is equivalent to OW emerald status. With JAL JGC premier you can also give another JGC premier status to your family. So effectively 2 OW emerald status :)

nutwpinut Jul 25, 2022 10:02 am

I'm presuming you can enter the USA without having to apply for a visa.

I've done something similar from the USA to London and another time to Madrid. London was easy and I could just transit within security and never actually enter the UK. The person in charge of the transition area asked what I was doing and I told him mileage run and he said good luck and have fun. It was pretty interesting when I checked in at the USA. The ticket agents were confused because when I checked in, the tickets for both my departure and return printed since it was all within a 24 hour time frame. I explained what I was doing and they just nodded as if they understood and wished me luck.

Madrid on the other hand was a pain and it wasn't even customs that was the problem. There was no way to transition within the security area and I had to enter Spain and check in at the regular check in area (Since I used partner planes the airline couldn't print my departure and return tickets). I was trying to check in with Iberia and I got grilled by the ticketing agent who called their manager and then called on the phone several times. They couldn't understand what would posses a person to do a mileage run and were considering me as some sort of security threat. They wanted proof that I had a job and worked (I showed them my medical card connected to the company I worked for) on top of my passport, driver's license, and credit cards. Eventually they checked me in, but it took around 30 minutes as she had to make several phone calls and talk to the manager on duty several times.

There is no law against what you're trying to do, but be prepared to be grilled by customs or the ticketing agent about what you're doing.

irishguy28 Jul 25, 2022 10:07 am

I would highly recommend against attempting this (unless you are a US national).

It can take a long time to clear US immigration, and you are likely to come to their attention, and you may be sent for secondary inspection/questioning. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will be admitted to the country in time to make it airside, check in again, clear security, and board your onward flight.

There's always an outside chance that you may be refused entry; this could severely hamper your ability to travel to the US again for some time.

The USA is definitely not a place to attempt immediate turnarounds as a non-national.

palesky Jul 25, 2022 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 34456263)
I'm presuming you can enter the USA without having to apply for a visa.

I've done something similar from the USA to London and another time to Madrid. London was easy and I could just transit within security and never actually enter the UK. The person in charge of the transition area asked what I was doing and I told him mileage run and he said good luck and have fun. It was pretty interesting when I checked in at the USA. The ticket agents were confused because when I checked in, the tickets for both my departure and return printed since it was all within a 24 hour time frame. I explained what I was doing and they just nodded as if they understood and wished me luck.

Madrid on the other hand was a pain and it wasn't even customs that was the problem. There was no way to transition within the security area and I had to enter Spain and check in at the regular check in area (Since I used partner planes the airline couldn't print my departure and return tickets). I was trying to check in with Iberia and I got grilled by the ticketing agent who called their manager and then called on the phone several times. They couldn't understand what would posses a person to do a mileage run and were considering me as some sort of security threat. They wanted proof that I had a job and worked (I showed them my medical card connected to the company I worked for) on top of my passport, driver's license, and credit cards. Eventually they checked me in, but it took around 30 minutes as she had to make several phone calls and talk to the manager on duty several times.

There is no law against what you're trying to do, but be prepared to be grilled by customs or the ticketing agent about what you're doing.

Yes, I totally understand what you mean. Even when I was doing mileage run at Europe, I faced similar issue a few times. I just have to print out my flight itinerary to show them that I’m just a crazy guy like to fly around. In Europe it is easier as I can get my return flight boarding pass ready to show them as well.

palesky Jul 25, 2022 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34456283)
I would highly recommend against attempting this (unless you are a US national).

It can take a long time to clear US immigration, and you are likely to come to their attention, and you may be sent for secondary inspection/questioning. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will be admitted to the country in time to make it airside, check in again, clear security, and board your onward flight.

There's always an outside chance that you may be refused entry; this could severely hamper your ability to travel to the US again for some time.

The USA is definitely not a place to attempt immediate turnarounds as a non-national.

I’m not US national but can get ESTA. I was hoping it’s like Singapore where you can just walk to transfer desk or go to your next flights boarding gate ( if you already have boarding pass issued). I wasn’t sure what’s it like in US since I can’t remember much when I flew there last time. I know some countries doesn’t allow you to do that for example Vietnam. I really do like flying and at the same time with a full time job, leaves are precious. Hence I just want to save some days if I can. Thank you for your advice :)

steveholt Jul 25, 2022 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by palesky (Post 34458085)
I’m not US national but can get ESTA. I was hoping it’s like Singapore where you can just walk to transfer desk or go to your next flights boarding gate ( if you already have boarding pass issued). I wasn’t sure what’s it like in US since I can’t remember much when I flew there last time. I know some countries doesn’t allow you to do that for example Vietnam. I really do like flying and at the same time with a full time job, leaves are precious. Hence I just want to save some days if I can. Thank you for your advice :)

There's no way to do this at JFK, as the US does not have airside international transit. You will need to go through immigration and then back through security for your flight.

palesky Jul 26, 2022 12:49 am

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 34458143)
There's no way to do this at JFK, as the US does not have airside international transit. You will need to go through immigration and then back through security for your flight.

I see. Thank you for clarify this to me. Now I know how to plan the trip.

smartytravel Jul 26, 2022 3:03 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34456283)

Even as a US national, they may think you're a drug mule. Trouble for life when entering the country.

747jetter Jul 26, 2022 3:35 am

Definitely don’t do it. I spent 4 hours at secondary passport at LAX in FEB on CDG-LAX, LAX-HND-LHR on 8 hour connection. You can’t use your mobile
phone in there so trying to rebook or whatever isn’t possible and no way they’ll help you to skip the line. You never know who you will run into and most people don’t believe you do this for unlimited Krug.

PES_B1 Jul 26, 2022 4:41 am

Originally Posted by palesky (Post 34458085)

The US Law I believe, requires everyone to claim their luggage and pass immigration at the first facility of US territory, regardless of their intention(such as terminating, transferring etc.).

PES_B1 Jul 26, 2022 4:44 am

If you have US Visa/Visa-Free on hand, make a night at the airside before transferring back, this creates more room for delays, immigration and security problems etc. I suppose that the cost of an airside hotel is of negligible importance to the cost of the ticket?

palesky Jul 27, 2022 7:13 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter (Post 34458837)
Definitely don’t do it. I spent 4 hours at secondary passport at LAX in FEB on CDG-LAX, LAX-HND-LHR on 8 hour connection. You can’t use your mobile
phone in there so trying to rebook or whatever isn’t possible and no way they’ll help you to skip the line. You never know who you will run into and most people don’t believe you do this for unlimited Krug.

JL website said transit from international to international at JFK MCT is 2hrs. There are 2 flights out of JFK on that date and one of the flight actually leaves 2.5hrs after my flight landed at JFK. Also, I will only have carry-on luggage, so I can get my return boarding pass in Japan before I even land in the US. Since I flew out from CGK to NYC via JP and I'm flying to SIN from NYC via JP so technically I'm transiting, right? I should be able to get my return boarding pass ready and should be able to show it to US immigration officers. But since everyone on this forum says not to do so. I suppose it doesn't matter now....

Originally Posted by smartytravel (Post 34458785)
Even as a US national, they may think you're a drug mule. Trouble for life when entering the country.

If that's the case even if I stay a night in NYC they will still think I'm a drug mule right? I really don't want to spend more than 2 days in NYC...

Originally Posted by rt23456p (Post 34458946)
The US Law I believe, requires everyone to claim their luggage and pass immigration at the first facility of US territory, regardless of their intention(such as terminating, transferring etc.).

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this earlier. I suppose the US isn't the friendliest place for transit.

Originally Posted by rt23456p (Post 34458948)
If you have US Visa/Visa-Free on hand, make a night at the airside before transferring back, this creates more room for delays, immigration and security problems etc. I suppose that the cost of an airside hotel is of negligible importance to the cost of the ticket?

That is true. But being travelling with a higher fare class ticket I can also change flight if I do miss the flight.